Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is wubi full install of ubuntu?

Beans

Re: is wubi full install of ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    Hmm, I would ask the friend to show you how, advice without a solution is well not very good advice. A dual boot can be a plug and play so to speak, but many are not, due to a maximum amount of primary partitions already on a single HD, and other anomalies.
    he has no experience with Linux but he said he would think installing it with wubi would make it vulnerable to windows viruses and such so he recommended i install it on it's own partition is all. i only have one OP installed and that's windows 7 it resides on my single HD drive. which is 500 GB i have 337 GB free of it. i admit i'm a new to all this for sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ytkuser12 View Post
    he has no experience with Linux but he said he would think installing it with wubi would make it vulnerable to windows viruses and such so he recommended i install it on it's own partition is all. i only have one OP installed and that's windows 7 it resides on my single HD drive. which is 500 GB i have 337 GB free of it. i admit i'm a new to all this for sure.
    Windows virus's wont run in linux. I would go with the wubi while you learn about dual booting in a partitioned setup. The wubi can be moved to a partition in the end there is a thread just on that on the forums.

I suggest this as some people don't like linux, and doing a dual boot if you have a OEM=manufacturers install of windows may include removing partitions and a bit of a juggling act, that when knowing how is easy, but not for a first time try.

That is a personal opinion though.

People on the forum will help you though in whatever you want to do, just be sure to have a full image of the Windows main OS off the computer, and the rest of anything you can not lose in a safe place as well.

Beans

ok i will take your advice your more knowledgeable in linux and this area then he is thanks

Beans

i love it been in it all day and playing around i like it. i only wish i could get it to play all my blu-ray's but cant figure that out. if i could i just might make the switch full.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/h...u-10-04-11-10/

This states 'experimental BluRay support'. I've got it working before, just can't remember exactly how (!). Ubfortunately I overwrote that install... but it was probably vlc

You probably want to install ubuntu-restricted-extras as well (if you haven't already).

Edit: I just tried it with VLC. Didn't work this time - might be a different bluray disc (apparently that can make a difference). So whatever I did before, it's obviously not that straightforward.
    Last edited by bcbc; May 23rd, 2012 at 07:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/h...u-10-04-11-10/

This states 'experimental BluRay support'. I've got it working before, just can't remember exactly how (!). Ubfortunately I overwrote that install... but it was probably vlc

You probably want to install ubuntu-restricted-extras as well (if you haven't already).

Edit: I just tried it with VLC. Didn't work this time - might be a different bluray disc (apparently that can make a difference). So whatever I did before, it's obviously not that straightforward.
    i got it to work i guess it docent play BD+ but as long as it plays most. i followed these instructions here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=blu-ray my only concern now is i stream Netflix but not from my PC but i log in on my computer to check my account and settings. i know you cant stream Netflix on Linux. but will i still be able to change my account settings and monitor my account?.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i got it to work i guess it docent play BD+ but as long as it plays most. i followed these instructions here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=blu-ray my only concern now is i stream Netflix but not from my PC but i log in on my computer to check my account and settings. i know you cant stream Netflix on Linux. but will i still be able to change my account settings and monitor my account?.
    Cool thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Best way to check Netflix is to just see if it works. I don't see why they'd need something special for account management. Just the streaming with silverlight that requires drm.

Beans

Cool thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Best way to check Netflix is to just see if it works. I don't see why they'd need something special for account management. Just the streaming with silverlight that requires drm.
    cool i can check my account stuff this weekend i think i might take the plunge and get out of Microsoft world all together . lighter faster and the looks are better i like ubuntu. i'm defenatly going to have to ether duel boot install it like that or just ditch windows and install it full. the whey it's installed now sometimes hangs lol.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

cool i can check my account stuff this weekend i think i might take the plunge and get out of Microsoft world all together . lighter faster and the looks are better i like ubuntu. i'm defenatly going to have to ether duel boot install it like that or just ditch windows and install it full. the whey it's installed now sometimes hangs lol.
    Cool. I need Windows for work. But that also allows me to test wubi, which by the way shouldn't hang (at least, it's not likely because of wubi; check your logs for any errors). If it does hang completely use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B to safely reboot.

PS if you are going to overwrite Windows, I'd recommend creating restore disks - since you paid for it with the comp, you might as well.

EDIT: another thing - take your time before you decide... if you've just started using Ubuntu you should consider waiting say a month. Use Ubuntu exclusively and make sure before you wipe out Windows. You can easily shrink down windows and keep it as a dual boot. Just in case.
    Last edited by bcbc; May 23rd, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool. I need Windows for work. But that also allows me to test wubi, which by the way shouldn't hang (at least, it's not likely because of wubi; check your logs for any errors). If it does hang completely use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B to safely reboot.

PS if you are going to overwrite Windows, I'd recommend creating restore disks - since you paid for it with the comp, you might as well.
    +1
    I would leave the dual boot myself, but I use it so I can help windows users, but having a image is a good thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast