Thread: CD/DVD Creator burning problems, Brasero burning problems, checksum problems

Beans

CD/DVD Creator burning problems, Brasero burning problems, checksum problems

First I'll lay the back story/history, then near end (below) my questions are in bold font.

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 Super OS with Gnome Classic interface.

I am having severe problems burning CDRs on my home computer (a Dell Precision T7500). My office computer can burn CDs just fine (Dell Precision, humbler model with Ubuntu 10.04)

Brasero and CD/DVD Creator used to both work reasonably well for me on my home computer. They used to succeed at burning CDR about 75% of the time. That's a poor success rate, but I was satisfied.

Recently, on my home computer (U11.04 Super OS) my CDR burning success rate dropped from approx 75% to 10%. Last week, I had to burn 10 CDRs to get one good one. The rest had check sum problems. Same problems with DVD-R, but I gave up trying that more expensive media after 2 failed attempts in a row.

Usually I'd get a message about Brasero checksum failed, or Brasero checksum behaving poorly. I don't have the exact message. I didn't write it down, but that's a close approximation of what it said. Always failed to eject automatically after burn.

I researched on the Internet and learned lots of people have been complaining for years about Brasero and CD/DVD Creator problems the same or similar to my problems.

I always had problems with those programs failing to eject automatically, but in the past I didn't care because I could manually unmount/eject and my CDRs were succeeding most of the time. I seldom burned CDRs and never before burned a DVD until recently. So not sure if DVD problem was always there, or just recently started. I used to be able to burn DVD-R. So I know the DVD-R check sum problems are recent. I am using the same brand, model, and batch of CD-Rs that I always used (top quality ones).

Why did Brasero and CD/DVD Creator recently go belly up on my home computer after previously working?

After more online research looking for a solution, I found advice to diagnose Brasero by reading its logs and then how to try to fix using terminal, but I didn't understand the details and wanted an easier solution. I noticed that only a minority of people posting about Brasero problems got them fixed to their satisfaction and their cases close. The majority are still pending. At least that's how it appears to me. So I decided to jump ship away from Brasero.

After more research, I decided to replace (uninstall) Brasero and then install Xfburn and Gnomebaker because both sound promising and I want to try them before choosing one.

Xfburn works great and I love it. Gnomebaker also works great and I might love it after I have more experience using it.

But Ubuntu still runs the CD/DVD Creator when I try to burn through Nautilus interface. CD/DVD Creator seems to possibly be part of Brasero? Is the CD/DVD Creator part of Brasero?

Is there a way to make CD/DVD Creator use Xfburn or Gnomebaker?

Is there a way to have similar functionality as the CD/DVD Creator has in Nautilus, but using Xfburn or Gnomebaker (instead of Brasero)?

There are MANY threads on many forums about Brasero burn problems in various versions of Ubuntu, including way old versions of Ubuntu, the 11.04 Ubuntu I use, and still (years later) in newer versions such as 12.04 LTS. Brasero problems are common. Why does Ubuntu still use Brasero? How about using Xfburn or Gnomebaker? So far Xfburn is my favorite, but I wish it'd integrate with Nautilus like Brasero did with CD/DVD Creator. Is there a way I can make Xfburn (or Gnomebaker) integrate with Nautilus in a fashion similar to CD/DVD Creator?
    Last edited by charleswb; May 20th, 2012 at 06:56 AM.

Beans

Re: CD/DVD Creator burning problems, Brasero burning problems, checksum problems

I forgot to put in tags before I hit post button. I don't know how to add tags now that I've already posted.

Could a forum moderator please add these tags for me?

brasero, ubuntu, cd/dvd creator, xfburn, gnomebaker

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: CD/DVD Creator burning problems, Brasero burning problems, checksum problems

Install xfburn and set it in preferred applications
    But I'm not sure it will integrate with Nautilus
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ihave no idea about your very long story because i didn't read it but

My advice :
    don`t use brasero at all. never never never it is the worst program in the gnu world
    instead of brasero you can use k3b. it`s awesome

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Install xfburn and set it in preferred applications
    But I'm not sure it will integrate with Nautilus
    Thank you for your reply. Where do I set preferred applications in Ubuntu 11.04 ?

Edited In Later: I found "Preferred Applications". Thanks!
    Last edited by charleswb; May 20th, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Beans

I found "Preferred Applications", but it only allows me to change Internet, Multimedia, System, and Accessibility programs.

Where can I change preferred application for disk burning?