Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EA and Ubuntu, for & against discussion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: EA and Ubuntu, for & against discussion

posts split and moved to the cafe.

Original: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1976388
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; May 20th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.

Beans

I suppose it just feels a bit like when Dell started selling Ubuntu on their laptops. They have a limited run, with limited support and limited advertising, and then when the self fulfilling prophecy comes true and no-one gets involved (though we did our bit here and bought one!), they just cite lack of interest and disappear into the night.

I could have gotten behind EA on Ubuntu and Linux, even though I'm not a great fan of their games (other than perhaps Burnout once), but with these very limited browser games I'm not sure what they are trying to prove. I'm pretty sure what they are going to prove is that there is no interest, and off they'll go as predicted.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    I suppose it just feels a bit like when Dell started selling Ubuntu on their laptops. They have a limited run, with limited support and limited advertising, and then when the self fulfilling prophecy comes true and no-one gets involved (though we did our bit here and bought one!), they just cite lack of interest and disappear into the night.

I could have gotten behind EA on Ubuntu and Linux, even though I'm not a great fan of their games (other than perhaps Burnout once), but with these very limited browser games I'm not sure what they are trying to prove. I'm pretty sure what they are going to prove is that there is no interest, and off they'll go as predicted.
    Sometimes it feels like the self-fulfilling prophecy is what these companies want. They don't really want the hassle of supporting something else, so they do (often considerably) less than the bare minimum so that they can then justify discontinuing even that at some point in the near future due to "lack of interest". Certainly how it feels in this case.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Sometimes it feels like the self-fulfilling prophecy is what these companies want. They don't really want the hassle of supporting something else, so they do (often considerably) less than the bare minimum so that they can then justify discontinuing even that at some point in the near future due to "lack of interest".
    Yes I agree. It's as though it's done to prove a point, then they can all go back to Windows.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

I don't see why people here need to get so horrible and nasty here. Some of you guys seem very quick to jump down peoples throats for no valid reason. You're giving Ubuntu a bad reputation and you're discouraging people from wanting to engage with the Ubuntu community. In my opinion you're shooting yourselves in the foot once again.

If you don't like EA that's fine, but I cannot for the life of me understand why you guys are flamming them just for showing interest in Ubuntu. Get a life!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Please don't argumentum ad hominem. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by temp2012 View Post
    I don't see why people here need to get so horrible and nasty here. Some of you guys seem very quick to jump down peoples throats for no valid reason. You're giving Ubuntu a bad reputation and you're discouraging people from wanting to engage with the Ubuntu community. In my opinion you're shooting yourselves in the foot once again.

If you don't like EA that's fine, but I cannot for the life of me understand why you guys are flamming them just for showing interest in Ubuntu. Get a life!
    I'm sorry you find my opinion so offensive, but unfortunately it's how I feel and I can't change that. I'm glad they are showing an interest, but as for expecting it to go any further, I don't realistically see that. It'll be great if it does, but I honestly don't know what kind of market/user reaction they are expecting for two fairly dated browser games, I really don't. But good luck to them and I hope it gets better. I'm glad they have at least provoked a debate.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Look at the bright side. They know what Ubuntu is.

I don't think I've played an EA game since Legacy of the Ancients on the C64.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: EA Games Arrive in the Ubuntu Software Center

Quote Originally Posted by Carpentr View Post
    They are simply seeing if Ubuntu is a viable platform to make money off of. What else would you expect? Do you want them to drop a few million dollars (minimum), porting a game to Linux? That will not happen until Ubuntu is proven as a financially viable option.
    Loki tried that, long ago (porting games to Linux). That didn't turn out so well.

I remember having played "Civilisation: Call to Power" on Mandrake (was it Mandrake?), long long ago. It went well.
    It doesn't run on Ubuntu (pity).
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans

Allot of +1's for you guys, and a -1 for one guy (guess who) but i can't make up my mind about it.

I read a pro comment, and i go like " yeah that's true"
    And then i read a contra comment, and i go like "give it to them, you're absolutely right"

It would be nice if more gaming companies made games that support Linux, so driver support would improve...
    But one of the things i like about Linux is the philosophy, and ea games doesn't think like many of us do.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast