Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of patience with Ubuntu; help me pick my new OS?

Beans

Out of patience with Ubuntu; help me pick my new OS?

For some reason, it seems that Ubuntu and I just weren't meant to be. Today marks the second time that it has crashed on me, completely out of nowhere, and refused to boot to the point that I have to boot from a Fedora live CD to even be able to use my computer at all. So I am seriously considering switching to either Debian itself, or to Fedora 16, which is what I'm posting this from.

I've used Debian and Fedora temporarily in the past, so I'm somewhat familiar with both already-- mostly, I'm just wondering if one will present fewer problems than the other, given my particular usage habits and PC specs. So, which will run the best with the following information?:

Dell Inspiron N5030 with an Intel Pentium processor, ALSA touchpad (that gave Ubuntu FITS,) 300GB hard drive. I use my laptop primarily for the internet, IMIng, and artwork, as well as gaming (making frequent use of emulators and wine.)

Suggestions? Opinions? I'm also going to be making a post asking about what may have caused the crash and how I can possibly recover from it, so this decision isn't going to be made really suddenly or anything, but I'd love to know what you guys think.

Beans

Re: Out of patience with Ubuntu; help me pick my new OS?

I have opensuse KDE dual bootever since Unity came out last year - very stable and will not be changing it ever on main pc

for knackered net book (dead drive) I use macpup (linux puppy) on USB - excellent system boots from usb (full system not just a live USB)

I would get macpup(linux puppy) since your booting from a live cd - download netbutin and macuppy and away you go - if you use a reasonable size usb even a 1gb usb is plenty if you dont want to store stuff on it. obviously you will need to either set your boot option in bios to USB or press the boot option at start up to boot from USB
    Last edited by retchid; May 20th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What about Linux Mint Debian Edition?

Beans

I actually don't know all that much about mint, but I wouldn't be against giving it a shot if it's more stable than Ubuntu's been for me. Fedora and Debian were my main picks primarily because I already have CDs for them, but I'm not opposed to other suggestions... hmm!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retchid View Post
    I have opensuse KDE dual bootever since Unity came out last year - very stable and will not be changing it ever on main pc

for knackered net book (dead drive) I use macpup (linux puppy) on USB - excellent system boots from usb (full system not just a live USB)

I would get macpup(linux puppy) since your booting from a live cd - download netbutin and macuppy and away you go - if you use a reasonable size usb even a 1gb usb is plenty if you dont want to store stuff on it. obviously you will need to either set your boot option in bios to USB or press the boot option at start up to boot from USB
    Thanks so much for all the information! I've managed to get my usual OS to boot now, at least, but I'm going to make a new partition and give some other things a try anyway. This will definitely be one of them.

Beans

really macpup is a very good option (I do mean option as you dont have to install anything at all just use when you get fed up of your installed system) oh and boots in 30 seconds after initial set up and dont have to configure drivers - just works first time

Tried most systems but will stick with opensuse KDE and macpup because they actually work (never had grub errors on either) Ubuntu grub errors all the time worse than windows

Beans

Yeah, Ubuntu has given me more problems than Windows ever did, and this is speaking as someone who used Windows for the first decade of my young nerd life. I mean, I'd still rather use Ubuntu than Windows, but, then again, I'd also rather take a beating with a large stick than use Windows, so I guess that's not really saying that much. I'll have to hunt down one of the USB sticks floating around my house and give macpup and maybe opensuse KDE a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was poking around distros looking for a *buntu replacement for an old laptop. I think the old graphics chip got chronic indigestion from the new xserver, not sure but neither Mint13 rc or Lubuntu would install. Anyway, I downloaded an installed PCLinuxOS LXDE. It's about as easy to install as *buntu distros. I had tried the XFCE release previously and it didn't feel as well integrated as the LXDE. It's also a rolling release so they don't have fixed release dates. The only required reinstall came with the switch from KDE3 to KDE4 from what I can gather.
    Last edited by kurt18947; May 20th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Beans

check this out

http://distrowatch.com/

its great for finding out about new distros and top 50 charts.

have a look see what suits you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gurokko View Post
    For some reason, it seems that Ubuntu and I just weren't meant to be. Today marks the second time that it has crashed on me, completely out of nowhere, and refused to boot to the point that I have to boot from a Fedora live CD to even be able to use my computer at all. So I am seriously considering switching to either Debian itself, or to Fedora 16, which is what I'm posting this from.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurokko View Post
    I'm also going to be making a post asking about what may have caused the crash and how I can possibly recover from it, so this decision isn't going to be made really suddenly or anything, but I'd love to know what you guys think.
    Yeah, I'm wondering what caused the crash, too. I can understand that this makes you want to switch distros, but I've been running Ubuntu (as well as several other distros) (by the way, I've also got Debian and Fedora running here -- both are excellent) for a long time now, but haven't encountered any problems with crashing. When you say "it has crashed," what exactly do you mean? (Or, provide a link to the thread where you detail this, if you don't mind.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast