Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: New to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPhyr View Post
    Ubuntu is running fine right now and see no reason to create its own partition to run natively but it is something I'm keeping in mind for future usage. As of now, I'm enjoying this OS with the Wubi. I'm just trying to get used to how it operates so differently than windows. Unlike windows, you just can't install anything that easily; or i have to get used to the lingo.
    Good to hear that it runs fine now, even though it's weird that it didn't before.

As far as installing goes, I find most programs to be easier to install than in Windows and getting them updated, because the update manager handles them centrally in one place.

The first place to look if you want to install a program is the software-center. That is the most straight-forward and safest option. There you just click on install, type in your password and it is installed.

The second easiest are .deb packages. If you have one, double click on them and it will open the software-center and you can install them as above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPhyr View Post
    Yeah, from what i can see, I did download the iso. Ubuntu is so different than from what I'm used to. I'm learning that you can't install anything like u can in Windows. Just need to learn my way around is all. But i do like Linux so far.
    It is a bit of a change

See:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement

and

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-help/index.html
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OP, I didn't see anyone correct how to install the desktop for you, but if you'd like to use Xfce or LXDE desktop environments you can install them quite easily via terminal or software center. To do so via terminal, just
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Change the word Xubuntu to Kubuntu (KDE) or Lubuntu (LXDE) to get those desktop environments as well. Just log out, click the sprocket and choose the new DE, then enter password and login.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    Good to hear that it runs fine now, even though it's weird that it didn't before.

As far as installing goes, I find most programs to be easier to install than in Windows and getting them updated, because the update manager handles them centrally in one place.

The first place to look if you want to install a program is the software-center. That is the most straight-forward and safest option. There you just click on install, type in your password and it is installed.

The second easiest are .deb packages. If you have one, double click on them and it will open the software-center and you can install them as above.
    Yes, I'm happy it's running better. It takes getting used to, but it's such a simple interface and yet alien to me. I still need to tweak it a bit, and explore the software available to me. I like that there is lots of music apps for musicians/artists free of charge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123