Thread: Installation hangs on boot up Power Mac G4

Beans

Installation hangs on boot up Power Mac G4

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a PowerMac G4. I chose the Xubuntu desktop environment during installation. But now that installation is finished, the distro is halting at boot-up as soon as the "UBUNTU 12.04 with the scrolling dots underneath it" appear on the screen.

I was wondering if anyone had a fix or any ideas. I apologize ahead of time if this has been posted anywhere else. I had trouble searching for the topic.

Thanks in advance.

I believe that my graphics card is an ATI rage 128 if that makes any difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installation hangs on boot up Power Mac G4

I don't have a G4, so probably can't be of much help, but I found this piece of information about your graphics card:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#ATI_Rage_128_cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tdlam View Post
    I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a PowerMac G4. I chose the Xubuntu desktop environment during installation. But now that installation is finished, the distro is halting at boot-up as soon as the "UBUNTU 12.04 with the scrolling dots underneath it" appear on the screen.
    I'm having the exact same problem. My video card is the Nvidia Geforce 2. I've tried several different options from the alternate CD, including CLI, and all result in a system that boots to the black screen as you describe, but it never progresses beyond that point. Some error or progress messages would be nice...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

bazzlevi wrote

I'm having the exact same problem. My video card is the Nvidia Geforce 2. I've tried several different options from the alternate CD, including CLI, and all result in a system that boots to the black screen as you describe, but it never progresses beyond that point. Some error or progress messages would be nice...

can you tell me witch mac it is ? (maybe i can point you in right way)

look on web site everymac

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ndex-imac.html

Beans

I'm having what appears to be the same issue: I used the mini-iso CD to try and install the base system (without even any desktop yet), and it hangs at the point where Ubuntu 12.04 appears on the screen with the dots underneath. The dots are all white, and never change color as I have seen them do on a successful installation boot. My computer is a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 867 MHz with an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX card (according to everymac.com).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clickgear View Post
    I'm having what appears to be the same issue: I used the mini-iso CD to try and install the base system (without even any desktop yet), and it hangs at the point where Ubuntu 12.04 appears on the screen with the dots underneath. The dots are all white, and never change color as I have seen them do on a successful installation boot. My computer is a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 867 MHz with an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX card (according to everymac.com).
    OK, I got past my issue with help from this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2131644

The key was to include the 'nomodeset' parameter in yaboot configuration file. I'm not booting into a desktop yet, so the xorg.conf wasn't strictly necessary for me. This may help the rest of you!

Kurt