Thread: Need help with older iphone jailbreak/unlock

Beans

Need help with older iphone jailbreak/unlock

Hi all. I recently inherited what I believe is a first generation iphone. It's model a1203 and is 8G. I got it with no SIM card, though the relative who passed it along to me--who is a Mac user--did something like a reinstall of the OS before passing it along to me.

I doubt I will try to use this as a mobile phone, since I use a CDMA prepaid service for mobile, and that suits my needs just fine. But I would like to tinker with this phone a bit and perhaps install a SIP client so that I can connect to free wifi networks and use it to make SIP calls while on the road. I may also use the audio-player feature of the phone.

I'm totally new to iphones so I haven't gotten too far on this project yet. I understood from the fellow who passed this device along to me that I would need to "jailbreak" this phone, and I've been looking into how to do that. It looks like the spirit utility, which appears to be pretty dated and is perhaps not currently maintained, is the right one to use for this phone. Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?

Additionally, I've run across information about "unlocking" these phones. I'm not sure how that differs from "jailbreaking." Can anyone clarify for me what is the difference between unlocking and jailbreaking?

Also, I'm wondering whether I can do one or both of the procedures referred to above with no SIM card in the device?

Finally, when I power on the phone I'm greeted by a screen that depicts the itunes icon and a USB cable and that says "slide for emergency" at the bottom of the screen. It also has a little "i" in the bottom right corner of the screen. The only thing I seem to be able to do with it at the moment is to look at information (IMEI, ICCID) by pressing the "i" icon or sliding the slider at the bottom of the screen to make an emergency call. There seems to be no way to check any settings or to find out the OS version and so forth.

Any input on these questions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    James

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Need help with older iphone jailbreak/unlock

Do you not understand that this is a forum for Apple computers users that run Ubuntu Linux? This is not a place for iphone questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by powerpcliberation View Post
    Do you not understand that this is a forum for Apple computers users that run Ubuntu Linux? This is not a place for iphone questions.
    No, I did not understand that. Furthermore, I saw at least one other thread in this forum discussing the iphone, so it seemed an appropriate place to ask. Finally, I have installed GNU/Linux on older PPC Mac hardware, and have two such machines sitting less than 20 feet from where I am now standing. I tried Lubuntu for PPC but was unsuccessful in that attempt and ended up installing Debian for PPC instead. Any further questions?

James

Beans

Thread closed.

Apple Users Discussions for users who are using Apple Intel or PPC based systems with Ubuntu.