Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone syncing solution.

Beans

iPhone syncing solution.

Good day all.

I'm trying to figure out what is the Linux alternative to iTunes so that I could continue backing up my iphone. I figured out that I can sync music with Rhytmbox, but I'm concerned about apps and such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: iPhone syncing solution.

I am not sure about a program that works like itunes (in the sense of app management and backups) However the latest version of iOS is cloud based so you essentially never need to hook it up to itunes in order to get backups, updates, etc.. everything is stored in the cloud and if you ever have issues you should be able to simply re-download any apps or whatnot.

I am assuming this is a recent model of iPhone of course.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by neofreud View Post
    I am not sure about a program that works like itunes (in the sense of app management and backups) However the latest version of iOS is cloud based so you essentially never need to hook it up to itunes in order to get backups, updates, etc.. everything is stored in the cloud and if you ever have issues you should be able to simply re-download any apps or whatnot.

I am assuming this is a recent model of iPhone of course.

Hope this helps.
    Hey, thank you for the reply.

The cloud is a confusing thing. I hate the fact that I can't upload to the cloud exactly what I want. If i could just upload contacts, with Shotwell and Rhytmbox taking care with the rest, I'd be calm.

I was going to install windows on a 20-30gb partition just to have it if I run out of ways (i'm a noob) to replace windows programs, so I might have to do that still.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary7 View Post
    Hey, thank you for the reply.

The cloud is a confusing thing. I hate the fact that I can't upload to the cloud exactly what I want. If i could just upload contacts, with Shotwell and Rhytmbox taking care with the rest, I'd be calm.
    It is possible to just use Google/iCloud/ (insert desired online contact syncing service) for contact syncing, and use other programs in ubuntu to sync music onto your iPhone.

I believe the iCloud menu in the iPhone helps you to choose what you'd like to sync to iCloud or not. For example, I sync notes and emails with iCloud, but I sync my contacts with Google.

The fact that the iPhone integrates so tightly with iTunes makes it difficult to use on other platforms that are outside of it. I myself had that problem when I got my iPhone 3GS in 2010.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vignesh Sankaran View Post
    It is possible to just use Google/iCloud/ (insert desired online contact syncing service) for contact syncing, and use other programs in ubuntu to sync music onto your iPhone.

I believe the iCloud menu in the iPhone helps you to choose what you'd like to sync to iCloud or not. For example, I sync notes and emails with iCloud, but I sync my contacts with Google.

The fact that the iPhone integrates so tightly with iTunes makes it difficult to use on other platforms that are outside of it. I myself had that problem when I got my iPhone 3GS in 2010.
    Hey, yes I figured out how to sync specific things to iCloud, because it would want to sync pictures and then would say that I do not have enough space.

Beans

Hi, how did you get your iPhone to sync with Rhythmbox or Banshee? I cannot for the life of me get it to sync to my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dbunnell View Post
    Hi, how did you get your iPhone to sync with Rhythmbox or Banshee? I cannot for the life of me get it to sync to my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Hey, I do not have music on my phone because I also have a 160gig ipod. BUT. Everytime I plug in my iphone the Rhytmbox wants to sync music with it. I didnt have to do anything special. Sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dbunnell View Post
    On my system, when I plugin my iPhone I then launch Banshee. If you look on the left side you should see your device listed. Click on your device and you should find some options available to you for managing music, podcasts, etc.

Hope this helps

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VE6EFR View Post
    On my system, when I plugin my iPhone I then launch Banshee. If you look on the left side you should see your device listed. Click on your device and you should find some options available to you for managing music, podcasts, etc.

Hope this helps
    Well, I have done this, but once it finishes syncing, I look at my phone and the music isn't there.

Beans

Having exactly the same problem on this. Any news?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast