Thread: Connection established but no internet 11.04

Beans

Re: Connection established but no internet 11.04

Ok, that was easier than I thought

The outcome:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    default         83.84.84.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    83.84.84.0      *               255.255.252.0   U     1      0        0 eth0
    link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth0
    I don't know if this is good or bad.

When I looked into my modem I found one 'cable modem MAC' and three 'CPE MAC' adresses. The MAC adress displayed in the connection information is one of the three CPE MAC adresses.

Beans

OK well it's good that your MAC is in the CPE list (Customer Premises Equipment - i.e. what is on your side of the gateway)

Can you ping the gateway (83.84.84.1) ?

Is your 'inet addr:' (from ifconfig) within the subnet (83.84.84.2 - 83.84.87.254 I think)?

Beans

Thanx again. Pinging the gateway gives a 100% package loss.

My inet adress in the ifconfig is 83.84.85.103

Beans

You might try to change /etc/resolv.conf: add nameserver.

Beans

There is a nameserver in the /etc/resolve.conf being:

nameserver 127.0.0.1

What I don't understand is, if it's a problem with the settings of my Ubuntu, how come it doesn't work with the livecd as well? At the moment I'm doing everything with the livecd to make sure my settings are as 'pure' as possible, does that make sense at all?

Beans

If it is this ubee modem / router:

https://static.ziggo.nl/images/20110...cm14-15225.PDF

then I think you need to work through the setup again - you really shouldn't be seeing 83.84.xxx.xxx addresses on the LAN side - that is your ISP / WAN side - you should only see addresses like that if you are running a simple modem (i.e. no address translation)

Beans

Ok I called ziggo today and found out that I don't have the modem/router you mentioned but a simple modem. Didn't know that... So that explains the 83.84.xxx.xxx adress.

They also said that I shouldn't be plugging the cable in and out two different computers because it will give an IP to one computer and reject the other, corresponding to what you said. (However I have been doing this like 25 times without a problem) They told me I should unplug the modem and then put the elecricity back on and it would reassign the IP-adress. I tried it but without success

I also tried to reset the modem but no luck either.

You mentioned something about the 22-bit netmask. Could that be the cause?

Beans

Hmm well the 22-bit netmask is explained by the fact that you are not on a private LAN - it allows the ISP to have up to 1022 hosts on that subnet. As long as your MAC is listed as one of the CPE addresses that *should* be OK too I think.

Obviously your /etc/resolv.conf is going to be a problem for DNS but I would not think it should stop you pinging by IP especially not even the gateway itself. FWIW *I* can ping 83.84.84.1 so we know it isn't blocking ICMP echo requests. You could manually change resolv.conf to point at one of the ziggo DNS servers or to one of opendns or google's nameservers however these days I would expect everything to be done automatically via DHCP.

Have you looked at your /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/NetworkManager/ yet?

Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
    In the last case there should be a file(s) describing your connection which you will need to open as root because it may have wireless keys and so on - you could check what it says under [ipv4]

Please don't post the contents here without masking any authentication information (passwords, wireless keys etc.)

You could also try

Code:
    tracepath 8.8.8.8
    but I don't really think it will go far since you apparently can't ping the default gateway.

This is just how I would trouble shoot it - I am by no means an expert, maybe there is an obvious answer I am overlooking
    Last edited by steeldriver; May 23rd, 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Beans

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by rockballad View Post
    You might try to change /etc/resolv.conf: add nameserver.

I solved my problem thanks to that.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post11960085

Thanks,

Regards,
    Hipo

Beans

@Hipo I tried to clear the /etc/resolv.conf in my normal 11.10 environment but no luck. It contained two nameservers which correspond to the primary and secondary DNS. After reboot it refilled it with the same stuff.

@steeldriver: this is the outcome of the commands you mentioned. I tried to look up the file eth0 using nautilus. Under ipv4 it says method=auto
    As you expected tracepath 8.8.8.8 gave no response.

I'm starting to doubt if I will ever get my internet back...

Code:
    x@x:~$ sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

x@x:~$ sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

no-auto-default=[MAC ADDRESS],

[ifupdown]
    managed=false
    x@x:~$ sudo ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections
    eth0