Thread: Wlan desperation on 12.04 live-usb

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wlan desperationon 12.04

Hello,
    I'm close to giving up my plans of installing 12.04, because I can't get my wlan chip to work.
    It's a Broadcom b43225, and I've tried lots of things already.
    The same chip works under Bodhi Linux 1.4, which is based on Ubuntu (currently 10.04). To make it work under Bodhi, I had to remove and blacklist the b43 legacy driver and install the proprietary STA driver instead.

I am now trying Ubuntu 12.04 ON A LIVE-USB, NOT INSTALLED yet
    (sorry for yelling that, but it tends to get overlooked in all my support requests).
    When I first started it, the STA driver was immediately suggested by Jockey and I loaded it, but no luck. The nm-applet says wireless disabled , and it's greyed out and can't be enabled by clicking it.

I already went to #ubuntu channel on IRC and was instructed to remove and blacklist the STA driver and go back to the legacy one instead (b43- fwcutter and b43-firmware-installer), which I did and it didn't help. I found the same instructions in the Wiki of Ubuntuusers.de
    When I restart the nm service,
    nm-applet gets wireless enabled, but it says device unavailable. That's actually the only thing that achieves a change to nm-applet.

Now over at Bodhi they made this really cool script for diagnosing wireless, and it prints the results in a neat file I'd like you to look at:

http://pastebin.com/1pEAkmeC

Maybe you find some new clues for me?

thanks, Ben
    Last edited by bennypr0fane; June 4th, 2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: changing subject