Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu moving in the right direction?

Beans

Re: Is Ubuntu moving in the right direction?

How do you define "the right direction"?

Seriously, these discussions usually deteriorate into rants about the desktop or choice of applications in the default install.

I'm more concerned about other long-term developments. I suspect that what we see is a result of the influence from a new generation of developers raised in a computing environments where application restarts and even system reboots are acceptable solutions/workarounds for a problem. This "Microsoft legacy" affect the entire ICT industry and FOSS has not been able to escape. Ubuntu is infected just as much as any other distribution. The sad result is that the reliability of a modern Ubuntu, Fedora or any other distribution is no match to their predecessors 10 or 15 years ago.

This goes beyond reduced reliability though. Troubleshooting gets harder as many applications that previously had debugging facilities built in via tty i/o (stderr/stdout) no longer offer any such help when there's a problem.

It's also nearly impossible to say anything about the state of a system when the boot-process has been completed. Slapping a pretty image across the screen to hide startup-details from the average user is one thing, but diagnostic info has suffered too. Today there's often just a mess of badly formatted information behind the pretty boot-image where init-scripts and system processes previously presented useful information for system administrators. Following a crash or power-outage, systems may be thrown into recovery-processes that take hours on the next boot with little to no feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    That's easy. Get linux compatible hardware. I've owned/built many computers over the years, and rarely had even a hiccup using linux. Research, knowledge, and the willingness to implement those things learned, are the key(s).

It's really very simple.

Thanks for the advice! I will pay closely attention to it when I buy a new pc.
    The pc I'm using now is a laptop. I didnt care at all about hardware and stuff when I bought it. It was good pc for a reasonable price.
    One small question: How can I easily verify wether hardware is supported by ubuntu or not?
    Vim - Comfortable text editing and coding
    vim-autoformat - a code-formatting plugin for vim supporting various languages - https://github.com/Chiel92/vim-autoformat
    Vimperator - Fast browsing using keyboard only

Beans

If I can presume for a moment, and step out of the situation and view things from an outsider POV, that the "right direction" is to become a proper alternative OS to Windows and Mac, then yes this is the right direction and Ubuntu is now on track imho. To me, it looks the part, works incredibly well, and means business. The recent changes affected upon the system have gone a long way to giving the OS a wider demographic imho. Many might not like that, but I do feel it's a good direction to take and I hope it does well.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    If I can presume for a moment, and step out of the situation and view things from an outsider POV, that the "right direction" is to become a proper alternative OS to Windows and Mac, then yes this is the right direction and Ubuntu is now on track imho.
    I agree with your observation. I hope that Ubuntu is NOT gonna look like windows. I hope the bugs I experience regarding random crashes of applications (very windows-like) will be fixed soon and the fast performance will be maintained.
    Vim - Comfortable text editing and coding
    vim-autoformat - a code-formatting plugin for vim supporting various languages - https://github.com/Chiel92/vim-autoformat
    Vimperator - Fast browsing using keyboard only

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Regarding software developing, you have no idea how wrong your statement is.
    You may be right.

But when I as a user compare, say, Firefox 3.6 with later Firefox versions, then I conclude that 3.6 is "better" (but yes, note the quotation marks). Or Windows XP vs Vista/7. Or the new Gnome version vs the previous one.

Why (always) changing things? Just keep them the way they are. They work fine. No need to change them. Is a new version always better?
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans

I have to say no, a a long time linux user who has used Ubuntu I have to say that Unity is a poor choice and so is gnome shell.
    Both are more for touchscreens then desktops and I am not getting a touchscreen just for a crappy interface.
    If I wanted an iphone like UI I would have gotten an iphone by now.
    Both are locked down, non customizable pieces of junk in my eyes and while both have some extensions and mods both are a pain to set up to make them work the way you want them too.
    We should have kept gnome classic.

Beans
    Distro

I agree with BigSilly's point about it now having a much wider demographic, but i find it to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. What i mean by that, is that it looks like a user-friendly OS, appears to be very similar to Windows, but once you get into it, you realise that under the hood is a finely tuned machine, where even the smallest adjustment can have major effects, negative effects, on the system.

I can't remember who, but one the regulars has a signature that says something like "Linux assumes you know what you are doing", and that pretty much sums it all up. For me anyway, as a fairly recent adopter of Ubuntu.

And there's the rub with Linux getting beyond it's 1% market share; most average users aren't experts, and don't really know what they are doing. I believe that the normal person with a basic working knowledge of computers wants something intuitive, and visual, like a functional but simple GUI. And quite frankly, the Terminal environment just isn't.

Sure, it's super-powerful and able to be customised up the wazoo, but you have to become an expert to be able to achieve this - not everyone has the time or inclination to become an expert, they just want stuff to work.

Like my recent escapades in trying to figure out Conky. I don't want to have to learn a new language just to get a bit of eye-candy on my screen. The reward simply isn't worth the sheer volume of time it takes to get up to speed with this kind of configuration technique. It seems that for most people on here, with a deep interest in the product/OS, that's not such an issue. But for a normal, everyday user, it's intimidating and puts you off.

I sooo want to love Ubuntu, and i do; open source is fantastic, i appreciate that this is an operating system that is totally 100% free. And the support via forums like this, is just amazing.

So yes, i do think Ubuntu is going in the right direction, but it needs to be more than just cosmetic - a genuinely user-friendly, intuitive interface, that moves away from rather unwieldy and scary configuration methods like the Terminal.

Now before y'all flame me to a cinder, remember i'm just a novice user, trying to get to grips with a completely new operating system. I think that puts me in a good position to be objective about how hard it is for a new user to actually stick with Ubuntu, and Linux in general, long-term. I believe that a lot of users try it, realise it's considerably harder to work with than it looks, and then move back to Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    I have to say no, a a long time linux user who has used Ubuntu I have to say that Unity is a poor choice and so is gnome shell.
    Both are more for touchscreens then desktops and I am not getting a touchscreen just for a crappy interface.
    If I wanted an iphone like UI I would have gotten an iphone by now.
    Both are locked down, non customizable pieces of junk in my eyes and while both have some extensions and mods both are a pain to set up to make them work the way you want them too.
    We should have kept gnome classic.
    Where is Unity remotely like IOS, oh that's right it has colours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Where is Unity remotely like IOS, oh that's right it has colours.
    AND you cant change much about it, its a locked down UI how much more do I have to say other then I think KDE is far better as at least I can move the toolbars and stuff where I want them as opposed to locked at one side and have the ability to have my windows cover my dock as opposed to autohide which is next to useless or take a sizable chunk of my screen.
    Dumping window dodge was a terrible idea, especially from a new users perspective

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    AND you cant change much about it, its a locked down UI how much more do I have to say other then I think KDE is far better as at least I can move the toolbars and stuff where I want them as opposed to locked at one side and have the ability to have my windows cover my dock as opposed to autohide which is next to useless or take a sizable chunk of my screen.
    Dumping window dodge was a terrible idea, especially from a new users perspective
    So it's not like a Mobile device then.
    This account is not active.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast