Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to use GIMP 2.8 on Lucid 10.04.4 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to use GIMP 2.8 on Lucid 10.04.4 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by shreepads View Post
    Excellent! Sorry I couldn't help when you were stuck earlier, was fiddling around in Precise trying to get shutdown working properly...
    Man, I think you have done enough for me - thanks for your tutorial and link to Roscioli's work!

It is also possible to install G'mic for 2.8 on 10.04.

G'mic can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmic/files/
    and installed in .gimp2-8/plug-ins in your home folder. (Using ctrl+h to reveal hidden folders).

You can also copy over all brushes, gradients, palettes, etc. from Gimp 2.6/2.7 folders into their corresponding folders in 2.8.

Which basically makes Gimp2.8 complete on my system now.

I'm so happy!
    Last edited by jimstar79; September 12th, 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Unable to contain my excitement at installing Gimp 2.8!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is all great. But why? Cos 10.04 is rock solid for you? Good that you'all have this working but 10.04 LTS will be out of support next April.

Anyone installed the getdeb repo? That will give you the latest regardless of what release you are using.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    This is all great. But why? Cos 10.04 is rock solid for you? Good that you'all have this working but 10.04 LTS will be out of support next April.
    I'm sure everyone has heard/ said this many times on these forums, but Gnome 2 on 10.04 is very usable and rock stable as a Desktop.

Ideally I would have moved to 12.04.1 by now, but Unity is definitely an acquired taste and many things are going wrong during my test drive currently in progress...

By Apr 2013 we'll all either learn to live with 12.04 (maybe by installing XFCE/ Cinnamon on top) or move off to another distro.
    Intel C2D E7200 || Intel DG33FB mobo || 4 GB RAM || 64 bit Lucid/ Precise Desktops || WD Caviar Black 1TB, Green 2TB; Corsair Force 3 60GB
    Dell U2412M || Palit Sonic GT 240 (OC'd NVidia card) || Logitech Quickcam Connect || Acer 3300U Scanner

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Understood. Can't stand Unity myself but have been an Xubuntu/Xfce fan for ages so not an issue. Currently Xubuntu 12.04 LTS but got into it with xfce4 as my DE on a regular Ubuntu 8.04 LTS install. Found I liked that better than Gnome (and definitely Unity).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by OGpmpdog View Post
    However, this tutorial seems to be a lot of work for software that will be at EOL in less than 1 year.
    End of support is not the same as end of life: Products can have useful life for many years after official support ends. For example, I'm still running an old 150 MHz Pentium II machine with Windows 98SE on it for certain things where there is just no adequate replacement with later hardware and operating systems.

This is typical in both businesses and in government/military. I've worked for suppliers to the military, and a 10-year useful life was both a design requirement and contractual requirement. Sometimes so much effort is put into setting up and validating mission-critical systems that upgrading can't be justified until the old system can no longer be economically supported.
    IBM ThinkCentre 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 µP, 1.5GB RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA drive.
    I support Idea #23505.
    "A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows." — St. Francis of Assisi

Beans

Gimp 2.8.2 was released a little while back.

From gimp.org
    Most notorious bugs fixed are: not being able to remember JPEG saving options, slow canvas redraw, not showing page setup options on Windows. There's also a workaround for the bug that used to cause showing incorrect file size values on Windows. For the complete list of changes please see the NEWS file.
    To upgrade
    - Download gimp-2.8.2.tar.bz2
    - Copy to old 'src' directory (hope you didn't delete it!)
    - Right-click, 'Extract Here'
    - Open terminal

Code:
    $ cd ~/Gimp/Gimp2.8/src/gimp-2.8.2

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/lib/pkgconfig

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/lib

$ ./configure --prefix=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build

$ make -j3

$ make install -j3
    That's it, your old shortcut to gimp 2.8.0 will now open 2.8.2
    Intel C2D E7200 || Intel DG33FB mobo || 4 GB RAM || 64 bit Lucid/ Precise Desktops || WD Caviar Black 1TB, Green 2TB; Corsair Force 3 60GB
    Dell U2412M || Palit Sonic GT 240 (OC'd NVidia card) || Logitech Quickcam Connect || Acer 3300U Scanner

Beans

Thank you, thank you and thank you. First to "shreepads" for his, pardon the pun, "Lucid" instructions on how to compile and install Gimp 2.8 on Ubuntu 10.04. Second to "Bucky Ball" for his sly remark about not liking Unity. The gist of most of the comments on this forum tend toward reinforcing the party line. At one point I was wondering if Mark Shuttleworth had sent out some directive that nobody with forum authority would be allowed to contradict said party line. The conventional wisdom everywhere seems to be that "the desktop is dead." Yeah, well that can become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Or as John Luc Picard says, "Make it so." For a rather large group of people in the world, it is not so, will not be so, should not be so. Thirdly to Andrew_P for noting that products may have a useful life well after their "official" support ends. I mean, heck, I still use Lotus Ami Pro for the word processor of choice on "virtually" all my in-house Windows-based machines. I joined this forum back in June of 2009. Since I haven't logged in for "a while," I noted couple weeks back that I had been unceremoniously erased. Oh well. Re-join. I've been working with Ubuntu systems since Dapper. Probably the best experience I've had installing from beta and going forward was Hardy. Lucid took two months after its release to settle down and fly right. "Precise" (and I sometime shudder when I say that -- like what the heck is there in the release that even remotely may be categorized by the word, "precise?" I might think of it as the Atrocious Anteater, Noxious Numbat, Flukey Farrow, Erratic Echidna.. okay, you get the idea), has taken almost five months since the release to sort out difficulties. I have to say that since we now have Serivce Pack 1 out (borrowing a phrase from Microsoft), the disto has settled down considerably. I'm running two primary test installations, one with Mint/Mate, the other with Ubuntu/Mate. I like the Compiz cube. I like the Emerald Themes I have collected and tweaked over the years. I'm a tad loathe to give all of it up for something that doesn't work properly. Lucid with Gnome 2 is indeed "rock solid." But I'm happy to say that Ubuntu 12.04.1 + Mate 1.4 is almost there. Three weeks back, it wasn't even close, but with the ton of updates Ubuntu has shoveled in since, the setup is pretty stable. Okay, it's very, very nearly "rock solid." Mint/Mate lags behind, but that is to be expected. I do want to thank whomever is responsible for shoring up the underpinnings of Ubuntu 12.04 so as not to sabotage a Gnome2 fork like Mate. I appreciate the good work. So will a couple of my clients whose systems I will be updating next month. Keep it up (and don't screw it up). I'm actually becoming guardedly optimistic. VB
    Last edited by vermontbear; September 30th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Beans

Love the way your online editor takes plain text and turns it into one blob of HTML even though HTML is supposedly turned off. Ah well, it's a Microsoft thing. We always know better than you do what you were trying to do, so we're going to change it.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Excellent thread! Regarding the online help, I found that you can copy the contents of
    Code:
    /usr/lib/gio/modules
    into
    Code:
    /path/to/gimp2.8/build/lib/gio/modules
    "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."
    -- Sam Levenson
    Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D | Triple booting CrunchBang, Ubuntu and Windows 7

Beans

I've spent the best part of an afternoon trying to get this to work and just can't

Would someone be so kind as to provide a precompiled amd64 version of Gimp 2.8.2 that can be run on Lucid 64-bit?

I would be so grateful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast