Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use GIMP 2.8 on Lucid 10.04.4 LTS

Beans

How to use GIMP 2.8 on Lucid 10.04.4 LTS

Hi

This post is for people who
    - Are excited about all the features on the new GIMP 2.8 and want to upgrade to it
    - But want to stick to the Ubunutu Lucid 10.04.4 LTS as it's rock solid, unsoiled by Unity and supported for another year
    - Don't want to go the whole hog and install/ upgrade GIMP and all the other dependencies, risking breaking their system
    - Have limited experience with compiling apps, but know about installing stuff from the standard repositories and tinkering with the terminal

So a pretty small subset I guess! But anyway...

Firstly, most of the credit for this info goes to facebook.com/andrea.roscioli for his install script, which I found here. I've just tweaked it a bit and tried to make it easier for noobs like me.

So let's begin.

Prerequisites:

You need to install a few things, but these are all from the standard Lucid repositories so there is very little chance this will break anything. From the terminal do:

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep gimp
    sudo apt-get install git-core
    sudo apt-get install libtool
    There are a few optional bits that you could install from Synaptic Package Manager. You can leave these out if you wish but they provide a few necessary capabilities to GIMP:
    • libbz2-dev: Compression
    • libjasper-dev: JPEG 2000 format support
    • libgs-dev: Ghostscript, for PDF support
    • libcurl4-gnutls-dev, libgudev-1.0-dev: Damned if I know what they are for

Also, check if your system already has these as well from the standard Lucid reporsitories: pkg-config, intltool, fontconfig, libfreetype6

In addition I already have a bunch of things already installed which may not be installed on your system (can think of exiftool and the latest RawTherapee build for example) so you may have to come back and install a few more dependencies depending on what GIMP compilation reports (towards the end).

Preparation:

From now onwards you can perform the rest of the update without ever using sudo/ admin privileges, ensuring that the rest of the steps will not break any other existing applications.

- Create a folder structure to hold the GIMP 2.8 code and build in a folder on which you have free read, write, execute privileges. I've created the following under my home folder:

Code:
    /home/user/Gimp
    --> Gimp2.8
    ----> src
    ----> build
    - I'll reference these in the rest of the notes, just change to suit your folder structure wherever appropriate.

- Download the following source files from the locations given. If you have an alternate trusted source please feel free to use that.

- Optionally, you can also download these, if you want support for SVG format files (I needed it so I did)

- Copy/ move all these files to the Gimp2.8 src directory (/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/src for me)

- Open the src folder, select all the downloaded files, right click and select 'Extract Here' from the context menu. This will unzip all the files in the src folder creating new sub-folders for each package with the appropriate package name, for example "/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/src/gimp-2.8.0/"

Compile and Install:

- Next we need to compile all the source files downloaded and extracted in the src subdirectory. All of these will be installed in the build subdirectory, leaving the rest of the system untouched

- Open a new terminal window and issue the following commands (replace the folder names with your folder structure created as above)

Code:
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/lib/pkgconfig
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/lib
    - Note that these environment variables only hold for the given terminal session you've started, if you take a break, close it and start a new session you will need to issue these commands again.

- Navigate to you src directory, for me that's done using

Code:
    cd /home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/src
    - First we will compile the BABL package, located in the babl-0.1.10 subfolder under src. For this execute the following commands from the same terminal window, change the folder after "--prefix" as necessary.

Code:
    cd babl-0.1.10
    ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build
    make -j3
    make install -j3
    - A few notes on the above
    • The second command (autogen.sh) may generate errors indicating that one or the other dependency/ package is missing. I think we've covered all the dependencies but if that happens, ask Google with the error message.
    • If the autogen.sh command completes without any errors, the remaining 2 should go thru fine as well. In the unlikely event that you face an error with make or make install, you will need to explore the interwebs a bit more.
    • The make and make install commands are followed by "-j3". The number 3 is the number of cores on your system (as reported by System Monitor) you want to use for compiling + 1. I have a Core2 Duo and don't want to browse/ play a video during this so have set it to 2+1=3. If you're unsure, leave the "-j3" bit out from the command.

- Assuming you completed the BABL install fine, you need to compile (from src folder) and install (in build folder) all the other downloaded packages, in the following order (from the same terminal window). Note that the second command for all of these (configure) is different from the one for BABL (autogen.sh) but it plays the same role so you can apply the notes above for the BABL install to all of these.

Code:
    cd ../glib-2.31.18/
    ./configure --prefix=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../gegl-0.2.0/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../atk-2.3.95/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../pango-1.29.5/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../gdk-pixbuf-2.24.1/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../pixman-0.24.4/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../cairo-1.10.2/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../gtk+-2.24.10/
    make -j3
    make install -j3
    - Optionally, for SVG support, you also need to do the following. Note that the configure command for librsvg is slightly different.

Code:
    cd ../libcroco-0.6.5/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../gobject-introspection-1.31.22/
    make -j3
    make install -j3

cd ../librsvg-2.36.1/
    ./configure --prefix=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build --disable-introspection
    make -j3
    make install -j3
    - Assuming all of this goes thru and you succesfully navigate any errors that come up, you are ready to compile and install GIMP 2.8! Issue the following commands (from the same terminal window) and be a little patient...

Code:
    cd ../gimp-2.8.0/
    - Once the configure command finishes (assuming all mandatory dependencies are met, if not search) it will produce a summary of all the Optional features/ plug-ins/ modules that are available (or not). Have a look see if anything you must have is missing, if so a search is in order!

- The main thing you should see missing is WebKit. GIMP 2.8 needs WebKit 1.6.1 or above, but Lucid 10.04.4 has 1.2.7. Installing the latest Webkit can break stuff and compiling it is another whole post by itself so I'll leave it as-is. I didn't bother as you only lose the online help integration from within GIMP 2.8. You can always access the online help from your browser anyway so it's not a big loss.

- Assuming you got all your must-have features/ modules/ plug-ins supported, you can then do the following and go grab a drink.

Code:
    make -j3
    make install -j3
    - Assuming you see no errors, you're done!!!

Running GIMP 2.8

- Without closing the terminal used all this while, go to the bin folder under the build subdirectory. For me that's done by

Code:
    cd /home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/bin
    - And then run it by crossing your fingers and running the command

Code:
    ./gimp-2.8
    - Run through a few basic open image, edit and save commands. Note the output in the terminal, it will help you solve any problems you come across. I didn't get any so far . And exit

- To make this a bit easier to run, I've created a small text file in my home directory "/home/user/" called gimp28.sh, which contains the following shell script. (Remember to run chmod +x gimp28.sh after creating it, so that it has execute capability)

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
    /home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/bin/gimp-2.8
    exit 0
    - Next I dragged the existing GIMP shortcut from the top left menu tree onto the desktop, right clicked on it and selected "Properties", where I changed the following and clicked 'OK'
    • The Name to "GIMP 2.8"
    • The Command to "/home/user/gimp28.sh"

- Now I just double click this shortcut to use GIMP 2.8!!
    Intel C2D E7200 || Intel DG33FB mobo || 4 GB RAM || 64 bit Lucid/ Precise Desktops || WD Caviar Black 1TB, Green 2TB; Corsair Force 3 60GB
    Dell U2412M || Palit Sonic GT 240 (OC'd NVidia card) || Logitech Quickcam Connect || Acer 3300U Scanner

Beans

Re: How to use GIMP 2.8 on Lucid 10.04.4 LTS

Even after setting Edit -> Preferences -> Help System -> Help Browser to "Web browser" it still doesn't open up the online help in the browser (Firefox in my case) complaining about missing GVFS backend components.

This despite the fact that the "configure" command while compiling gimp-2.8.0 produced the output:

Code:
    Optional Plug-Ins:
      URI:                 yes (using GIO/GVfs)
    So I just

• Downloaded gimp-help-2.6.0-html-en.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/help/. Help files in other languages can be downloaded as well.
    • Created a subfolder 'help' under /home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/share/gimp/2.0
    • Extracted the contents of gimp-help-2.6.0-html-en.tar.bz2 into the new /home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/share/gimp/2.0/help folder
    • Moved the "en" folder under gimp-help-2/html (created as subfolders in the help folder) up to the help folder. So you should see /home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/share/gimp/2.0/help/en folder containing "index.html" and all the other help files. If your language is say French then you should see index.html in /home/user/Gimp/Gimp2.8/build/share/gimp/2.0/help/fr
    • Started GIMP 2.8 and under Edit -> Preferences -> Help System I set

• User Manual: "Use a locally installed copy". A little message below this should state "There's a local installation of the user manual."
    • Help Browser to "Web browser"

In case the little message says there is no local installation of the user manual then check that the Language selected under Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Language, matches with the language of the help files you downloaded.
    Intel C2D E7200 || Intel DG33FB mobo || 4 GB RAM || 64 bit Lucid/ Precise Desktops || WD Caviar Black 1TB, Green 2TB; Corsair Force 3 60GB
    Dell U2412M || Palit Sonic GT 240 (OC'd NVidia card) || Logitech Quickcam Connect || Acer 3300U Scanner

Beans

Nice, nice, nice!!!

Subsequent it give me some hope for building my Gimp standalone package for older Ubuntu Distros: https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgu...imp-standalone

'til then

Otto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OP,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. However, this tutorial seems to be a lot of work for software that will be at EOL in less than 1 year.

There are alternatives - such as Cinnamon, XFCE,and Gnome3(new and classic) - beyond Unity in 12.04, which is almost 5 years before EOL.

In 12.04, Gimp 2.8 can be installed with 3 terminal commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa: otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gimp

Peace.
    Ubuntu +1 (Trusty Tahr)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by otto06217 View Post
    Nice, nice, nice!!!

Subsequent it give me some hope for building my Gimp standalone package for older Ubuntu Distros: https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgu...imp-standalone

'til then

Otto
    Thanks! For most people, your PPA will be a lot useful than this loooong list of instructions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OGpmpdog View Post
    OP,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. However, this tutorial seems to be a lot of work for software that will be at EOL in less than 1 year.

There are alternatives - such as Cinnamon, XFCE,and Gnome3(new and classic) - beyond Unity in 12.04, which is almost 5 years before EOL.

In 12.04, Gimp 2.8 can be installed with 3 terminal commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa: otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gimp

Peace.
    Well I did say it will only be useful for a small subset of people .

But seriously, I think it will be some time before 12.04 will be usable and stable enough for all. I tried the LiveCD/DVD/USB and it just refused to work with my graphics card (see here).

BTW re the PPA mentioned in your post, see post just above yours from the PPA's author. He is trying to build a similar PPA for Lucid as well, which would make this long list of instructions redundant!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shreepads View Post
    Well I did say it will only be useful for a small subset of people .

But seriously, I think it will be some time before 12.04 will be usable and stable enough for all. I tried the LiveCD/DVD/USB and it just refused to work with my graphics card (see here).

BTW re the PPA mentioned in your post, see post just above yours from the PPA's author. He is trying to build a similar PPA for Lucid as well, which would make this long list of instructions redundant!
    My approach is to passing by the dependency nightmare in older Ubuntus.
    By the way if you're interested supporting me any help are welcome.

On the other hand I'm using Kubuntu 12.04 as an early adopter without any serious problems. It's a Compaq Presario CQ60 with a GeForce 8200M G and 4 GB RAM.

I'll do my very best. I hope I'm ready with my dependency-nightmare-passing-by-and-totally-wasting-disk-space-standalone-version in the next 2 weeks.

Cheers and greetings from good old Germany. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smili...y-faces-75.gif

Beans

Talking Re: How to use GIMP 2.8 on Lucid 10.04.4 LTS

Have I told you lately that I had more than 30000 downloads with my PPA?

Ok, it's probably less than the amount of poor sucker applicants for facebook shares.

BTW: I'm looking forward to Gimp 2.9 with its legendary 16bit color space for RAW photographs. Rumors: It will be done after the summer and in 2012.

OK

Cheers

Beans

By the way if you're interested supporting me any help are welcome.
    Sure what do you need? But I should tell you that I don't know much about compiling and packaging... And I just have one desktop system which I use on a daily basis for all work (no VMs) so I'm a LITTLE conservative about tweaking it...

Have I told you lately that I had more than 30000 downloads with my PPA?

Ok, it's probably less than the amount of poor sucker applicants for facebook shares.

BTW: I'm looking forward to Gimp 2.9 with its legendary 16bit color space for RAW photographs. Rumors: It will be done after the summer and in 2012.

OK

Cheers
    Good stuff! Yup looking fwd to full 16 bit compatibility DSLR -> RawTherapee -> GIMP...

Beans

Hi Otto,

I tried to use the ppa in Lucid, and it shows an error, not found.

I googled it and saw many people found the same problem, is there any way to get it?

Thanks by the way!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast