Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X question? Video Probs but can ssh in. Possible to "attach" to a process there?

Beans

X question? Video Probs but can ssh in. Possible to "attach" to a process there?

Hi! Thanks to Toz I can now ssh into my Ubuntu 12.04 machine which is having video problems. I have a gedit running under Gnome there with a file that I have not (has never been) saved. Any way to attach to that gedit and somehow get that file?

----
    [Edit: While I'm at it ... I couldn't mark my previous thread as "solved" - it's not under Thread>>Tools the way it's supposed to be, and I am logged in....]
    Last edited by DiagonalArg; June 20th, 2013 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: X question? Video Probs but can ssh in. Possible to "attach" to a process there?

Hi, me again.
    I came across this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...gedit-remotely.

To mark a thread as solved:
    1. Click on the "Edit" button on your first post in the thread.
    2. Click on "Go Advanced"
    3. Change the Prefix to "[SOLVED]"
    4. Save

Beans

Re: X question? Video Probs but can ssh in. Possible to "attach" to a process there?

Toz. That's incredibly helpful. Any thoughts on how I could send a carriage return to xdotool? Would that be ctrl+m? I'll also need to give a filename, so I'll need to send a whole string.

(Damn, linux is cool!)

---------

(Ah, missed "Go Advanced" when I tried that method to set the prev thread as "Solved".)

Beans

Depending on what kind of video problems (i.e. if there's a working X session / desktop, you just can't see it because of hardware issues) you could also consider enabling Vino ('Desktop Sharing') and connecting via a VNC client - assuming the original display is :0

Code:
    DISPLAY=:0 gsettings set org.gnome.Vino enabled 'true'

Beans

Thanks steeldriver. There is indeed a running desktop. (I believe there is some video card issue).

So your code (along with the "DISPLAY=:0" as prefix) would get input to the terminal?

[Edit: Is there a specific client I would then have to use from my (13.04) laptop? How would I indicate to the client to attach to that desktop rather than creating a new session of some sort?]
    Last edited by DiagonalArg; June 20th, 2013 at 02:27 AM.

Beans

Yes, input it in your SSH terminal session, then fire up a VNC viewer (depends on your laptop's OS - Remmina, TightVNC etc.) and point it at the remote machine's name or IP on the default port 5900 - if your UFW firewall is still enabled you will need to open port 5900 - or you could tunnel VNC over SSH if opening port 5900 not feasible

Vino is set up to share (mirror) the running desktop by default - you shouldn't need to do anything extra to attach to it
    Last edited by steeldriver; June 20th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Beans

Ok, I can open the port. Got a friend waiting. Back in evening. Keeping my fingers crossed until them.

Beans

Oops, almost forgot, if you have not enabled Desktop Sharing previously you may need to set a new base64 encoded VNC password - just tried this, it seems to work:

Code:
    DISPLAY=:0 gsettings set org.gnome.Vino vnc-password "$(echo -n "newpass" | base64)"
    where 'newpass' is a password of your choice - good luck and let us know how it goes

Beans

Steeldriver - Thanks. If you're still around, I'm looking at my laptop and see that your first command effectively sets the checkmark on "Allow Other users to view your desktop". It does not <<appear>> that I need to set a password, but there is a default checkmark by "You must confirm each access to this machine". That, I obviously won't be able to do. Do you have a suggesting how I might be able to uncheck this one?

Beans

Ok, it looks like I need:

Code:
    DISPLAY=:0 gsettings set org.gnome.Vino enabled 'true'
    DISPLAY=:0 gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled 'false'
    (I think I get how to use gsettings!)

Here goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast