Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
Well my current router is a WNDR3800 and I would be surprised if your 3400 did not support it
Me too. I was sure it would, and that swapping out routers would not be an issue.

Are you sure your computers are not configured to use external / public DNS server(s)? iirc you want the local hosts to use the router as DNS server (assuming it runs one), so that it can resolve *local* names (i.e. the ones it has sucked up via dhclient "send host-name" responses) and just pass locally-unresolved names up to whatever public DNS server you are using
No, i'm not sure. How do I check this? Why would the settings on the client computers change when the router was changed?

i.e. the router is both a DNS server - for the machines inside its LAN - and a DNS client - talking to a public server to resolve external names - you only give the public DNS server address to the router.

That should happen automatically if you let DHCP take care of specifying the DNS server AND your hosts correctly "send host-name".
I agree. It should happen automatically. I generally assume that everything should happen automatically just like I want it to. I'm often disappointed. Can you tell me how to check that my clients are using the router as a DNS server instead of some public / external DNS server? I think this may be the problem. When I ping my server name, I get a response with an external IP address listed. Thanks for your help.