Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A sad day

Beans

A sad day

My favourite test PC in my sand pit died over night. I suspect it's the power supply. Do I resuscitate it or let it R.I.P.

If i do the later, do it build a new, buy a White Box or by a named brand. hmmmmm
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: A sad day

Get the paddles! That'll fix the power problem.

Depending on how old the machine is, replacing the PSU might be a good idea.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Probably PSU. Are you using a custom built PC? Or a laptop or brand bought PC?
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

I will throw a spare PSU in it later and see if it's more than the PSU. The unit is 2 years old.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Depending on how old the machine is, replacing the PSU might be a good idea.
    I might have to do that with a dead machine I've got sitting under the dining table that I haven't used for anything yet: other than the absence of a CD/DVD drive or monitor it looks like it has potential.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    i might have to do that with a dead machine i've got sitting under the dining table that i haven't used for anything yet: Other than the absence of a cd/dvd drive or monitor it looks like it has potential.

lol
    CrunchBang Linux
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    My favourite test PC in my sand pit died over night. I suspect it's the power supply.
    ----
    Edit: Ok, there was this dude who told me that PSU's rarely fail... Several of you guys have questioned this, so I guess that guy I spoke with was wrong. I don't know where he got his information from...
    I'm leaving my original post for your entertainment:
    ----

I'm told that the power supply rarely fail. It's more likely that there is something wrong with your motherboard or some other component. I once had a computer that suddenly died.
    I then replaced the PSU, and voila, it booted up. But after a time it died again, only to work normally a day later. The computer was unstable like that for a long time. I finally gave it away to someone who wanted it, because I suspected the motherboard was the faulty component. He took it to a computer shop, where the computer guys replaced the PSU (again). It worked for a time, then it died... But now the guys at the computer shop also came to the conclusion that it wasn't the PSU that was to blame, but the motherboard.

Moral of the story: There are lots of sensitive components in a computer, but PSU is actually quite robust. (Or so I'm told). The PSU isn't the most likely component to fail when a computer dies.
    Last edited by Dry Lips; May 18th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Beans

I have just opened the case and used my multi meter to test and it is definitely the PSU. There is no juice coming from it.

Beans

Guess you can set this as solved and buy a PSU...
    CrunchBang Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I have just opened the case and used my multi meter to test and it is definitely the PSU. There is no juice coming from it.
    Gotta love them multimeters!
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast