Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Ubuntu GNU/Linux success story!

Beans

Re: An Ubuntu GNU/Linux success story!

Quote Originally Posted by demon666_nl
    Hi,

I am also dutch. ( prefer using english on computers). I'm going to create two ubuntu boxes.One is for my father and one for a friend of his. These boxes do need to be dutch.see : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=19774

So I'm interested in your problems/experiences with getting dutch n00bs running Ubuntu.

I also would like to know how much english is still left in Ubuntu hoary dutch.
    Hello Demon666_nl

Do you happen to know what I need to install to get the Gnome interface in Dutch?

Thanks
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by J D Wijbenga

Thank you, but both guides deal with getting OO, Evolution and FireFox in Dutch (which is good). But I'm still looking how to get Gnome in dutch first.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Hey, thanks for al the responses! It was good to see my story was well received!
    To get most of the system in Dutch from the beginning I selected Dutch at the very beginning of the installation, right before it asks you what kind of keyboard you have and where you live. Other than that i've used the info at the URL's J D Wijbenga posted.

About the spyware; allthough the amount of spyware they were getting decreased greatly after having them use FF/TB, I suspect they installed crapware like MSN Plus with the default options (which loads you up with a nice and complete collection of shopping assistants, probably as well as enabling services to generously store your personal information off-site. I ran Hitman Pro (which essentially just runs Adaware, Spybot S&D, CWShredder and some other stuff in one big macro) and even trial versions of more professional software like SpySubtract, but they just kept getting pop-ups with ads (Internet Explorer windows mind you, not Firefox )

I did give them the option to boot to their Windows system, although to my knowledge they haven't had to do so.

I've never tried installing a scanner on Linux. Now that I know it worked out for at least one of you, I might try to do so.

Furthermore, if I can get my dads television tuner to work with Ubuntu, i'd have him converted long ago. Any pointers there? At one point the thing DID work with SuSE and Gentoo, but very unstably. It's practically the only reason he's not using Linux full-time.

Another thing I feel I have to say, is how impressed I am with Crossover Office. I'm using the trial version right now and I really believe it's worth buying, and I probably will do so soon. I use it to run Internet Explorer (for those sites that really, really don't work with FF), Photoshop 7, Quicktime Player (even works as plugin in firefox so I can watch movie trailers) and the whole Studio MX (Dreamweaver, Firefox, Flash...). Allthough it has a growing database of software it officually supports, there's a lot of stuff that will simply work with it. For example, the Delphi 7 programming enviroment (which I need for school). Imagine that; running a programming enviroment for Windows applications on Linux! I know WinE can probably also do most of this, but Crossover Office has a nice graphical front-end, manages file extentions (so opening a Photoshop file from your file manager will launch Photoshop) and lets you graphically add/remove programs.
    I'm not intending 'advertise' this program here, but i'd just like to point out how well this would help people crossing over to a better place. ( )

Furthermore; I think I can savely say that once Openoffice 2.0 comes out, Windows's days will be numbered. At least, the days when you just NEEDED to use it. There's a preview version out, as well as tons of screenshots here. Check it out!

Two other projects to watch, are Cedega and Klik. I believe that, in the comming years, these will play a significant part in bringing GNU/Linux to the average Joe.

Another issue remains, though, for me to be completely happy with Ubuntu. I need something to get my webcam (Logitech Quickcam) working, and an instant messenging client that supports the MSN protocol to use it with. That's about the only thing I can't do with my laptop now that I could when I still used Windows.

Sorry for the brain dump, but I just thought it could be relevant to someone, somewhere!
    Last edited by Heliode; March 15th, 2005 at 07:15 PM.
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    Hello Demon666_nl

Do you happen to know what I need to install to get the Gnome interface in Dutch?

Thanks
    No I don't. Im running english here. In a couple of weeks I'm gonna install hoary in dutch. I hope it's an option during the installation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn

You have tried this?
    1. sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
    2. select the language you want
    3. reboot (dont know if logout&login is enough, propably is)
    4. in login screen select the language before logging in
    5. tell us if that did the trick

Beans

Update:

Another succes!

I just booted the Hoary preview live-cd (AMD64 version) on my dads computer, and got the tv tuner running in no time with tvtime! After showing him the other cool features Ubuntu / Gnome have to offer, I convinced him to switch to Ubuntu as well! This is also because he's been looking for a 64 bit OS to make use of his AMD64.
    I'll install Hoary on his PC tomorrow evening! Wish me luck!
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans

Good luck, but somehow I think you are gonna be ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermagellan
    Ubuntu while I have used HOARY I now have to go back to WARTY because of this whole NVIDA thing everyone is having problems with as well as Linux thinking my computer runs monitoring software for the temperature (which it doesn't) which causes it to crash.
    this was a small problem for me but i goit it fixed eventually thanks to the help of somewherw on the net?
    did al work out well for you?

Beans

here is a translation (from Dutch to English) of the beginning of this article (sorry if i translated it bad)-->
    26/01/2006
    ICT on school launches first standards desktop

press bulletin of foundation ICT on school

The Hague, 26 January 2006

The foundation ICT on school with information on open standards has made an information parcel (notebook with DVD) for education . The open standards desktop is part of this information parcel. With this desktop software can be tried out in a simple manner for making material in open standards. The open standards desktop is a desktop on the basis of Ubuntu Linux.
    http://www.ictopschool.net/nieuws/pe...006-01-26.0450

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12