Thread: Dual boot question

Beans

Dual boot question

I'm dual booting with windows 7. I have two hard drives. Should I dual boot on the same hard drive as my windows 7 installation or the other one? Does it even matter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Dual boot question

No, it doesn't. The choice is completely yours how you want to organize your system.

You can even have both OSs on the same hdd and leave the windows botloader on it, while installing grub2 bootloader on the other disk even though it doesn't contain the ubuntu OS. That way you can easily boot into windows directly by booting from the other disk.

For best control when doing the install, I always recommend the manual partitioning option (Something Else), it's up to you what you want to use.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dual boot question

Quote Originally Posted by callen41 View Post
    I'm dual booting with windows 7. I have two hard drives. Should I dual boot on the same hard drive as my windows 7 installation or the other one? Does it even matter?
    Like the post above says, it does not matter whether you install both OS on the same hard disk or on separate hard disks.

However, since you have an option of using two hard disks, I would suggest that you install them separately. Windows on one HDD and Ubuntu on one. That ways you can have Windows and its bootloader on one HDD and Ubuntu and its boot loader on another.

You will have to change the Hard Disk Boot order in BIOS to boot HDD with Ubuntu first. Ubuntu bootloader, GRUB will recognize Windows on the other Hdd and will give you an option to boot into it.

Read and research about partitioning and about dual installations before you proceed. And plan in advance how you would like to partition your Hard Disks. Use GParted LiveCD to partition your HDD.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."