Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Network with Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Home Network with Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop with Ethernet connection, and Windows 7 (64 bit) on my laptop with wireless. They are connected to the router (DSL) provided by my ISP, so am uneasy about changing settings. I would like the systems to be able to communicate in several ways: I'm running XAMPP servers on both systems, and want to be able to ftp between them. Also would like to be able to share files between the systems outside the server environment.

(My Ubuntu is on an external drive which can be booted from the laptop. The desktop would then be running XP SP3. But that's not my usual configuration.)

If you reply, start out at a basic level. My understanding of networking and associated terminology is limited. --Thanks.

Beans

Re: Home Network with Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7

I suggest you start by a google search, as I know there are several expositions for the comparative novice on how to set this up.

Both Ubuntu and Windows support 'shares' - but don't get suckered into setting up a HomeGroup on Windows7, as this cannot communicate with anything except Windows7.
    Derek

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. I appreciate your advice. (When I first booted Windows 7 a year ago I was given the option of setting up a HomeGroup. Not knowing any better, I did - but my laptop is the only member, and it shouldn't be very difficult to eliminate the group, I hope.)

A very cursory examination of Ubuntu documentation leads me to think that I should use Samba, but I'll see as I get further into it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've written a guide to configure basic file sharing etc between Ubuntu & Windows 7. It was written using older versions of Ubuntu, but I've recently checked it against 12.04, and it is unchanged. Go to http://www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/ . I hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jonandrews View Post
    I've written a guide to configure basic file sharing etc between Ubuntu & Windows 7. It was written using older versions of Ubuntu, but I've recently checked it against 12.04, and it is unchanged. Go to http://www.europe.eclipse.co.uk/Ubuntu/ . I hope this helps.

Thank you for this, you have been bookmarked. I have 5 Win7 machines and now 2 Ubuntu 12.04, one is a different type of dual booting using BIOS boot priority, on the same net at home, My Ubuntu machine can mount and see the hard drive of the idle 7 drive on the same machine, I haven't checked my granddaughter's Ubuntu machine yet, I have gone no further at this point. Next will be to attempt to get access to the printers which are local to my 7 machine, and local to my wife's 7 machine, we can share the printers from any of the 7 machines but not the XP as it uses IPv4 where the 7s use IPv6. I still have to keep a XP around as we are a split house at work, classrooms are 7 administration are XP. If I can get all of this smooth then I will see about connecting to a Win domain. I did a VM for the director of education and he found some interest in the educational SW that is available, and he has a group of i Pads which we connect to the network.

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jonandrews View Post
    Thanks from me also. Your guide and the info on Windows Workgroups have got a lot of very helpful information, but it looks like I don't meet the criteria for using them. I don't have an existing network of Windows PCs, but here's what I do have:
    A (wireless) laptop running Window 7
    A (wired) desktop running XP
    If I can get those two networked, then I want to add Ubuntu:
    12.04 which boots either from an external drive or a flash drive which is normally attached to the same PC that runs XP.
    Is such a setup feasible?
    Initially, I need help in just getting the two Windows PCs networked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by walt11 View Post
    A (wireless) laptop running Window 7
    A (wired) desktop running XP
    If I can get those two networked, then I want to add Ubuntu:
    12.04 which boots either from an external drive or a flash drive which is normally attached to the same PC that runs XP.
    Is such a setup feasible?
    Initially, I need help in just getting the two Windows PCs networked.
    You can network the 2 but not automatically like you can 2 XP machines or 2 Win7 machines. It would have to be done with IPv4 as XP does not support IPv6 without add on software. Disconnect from the outside word, turn your firewall and virus protection off, (some anti virus have their own firewall) share some folders and see what you can see across the connection. Get them working that way, then try reactivating the virus protection one at a time and see if you still have connectivity. Then again one at a time, bring up a firewall. It will likely fail at this time. Check the logs and see if you can see what ports got blocked and open them. If you cant you will need a packet sniffer like Ethereal, now known as Wire Shark to capture traffic and see what ports are needed. Or google as someone should have a list of what ports need to be opened between a win 7 and xp machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. I appreciate your response. But it sounds like more than I want to (or am able to!) deal with and I'm thinking now of a different approach.

The reason I wanted an XP and Win 7 network was because I thought that was the way to go- to add Ubuntu to an existing network (and that the XP/Win7 part would be easy!). I actually use XP very little now, and would like to get Ubuntu networked with Win 7. The systems I would have to deal with then are:
    Ubuntu 12.04 running on my wired desktop
    Windows 7 running on my wireless laptop
    From just a quick look at Ubuntu documentation, Samba seemed like an approach that would work in both the Linux and Windows worlds, and that configuring things from the Ubuntu side was distinctly better than trying to do much of it from the Windows side. Is that a reasonable way to go about it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In essence, it is a reasonable way to go. All you have to do is to:

Firstly: configure the Win7 machine for networking as follows:
    In 'Network & Sharing Centre' click on 'Advanced Sharing Settings'
    On the resulting page called 'Change Sharing Options for...etc.' set the following options:
    Network Discovery > Turn on
    File & Printer sharing > Turn On
    Public Folder Sharing > Turn on Sharing
    Media Streaming > (Leave off)
    File Sharing Connections > Enable sharing for 40 -56 bit...
    Password Protected Sharing > Turn off
    HomeGroup Connections > Use User accounts & Passwords...etc

Save the changes & reboot (just to be sure)
    The Win7 pc will now be visible to a network, along with it's public folders.

Having set up the Win7 pc, now use my guide to configue the Ubuntu pc ( which causes Samba to be installed).

You will then be able to move files between the machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am sitting here in front of my Ubuntu machine and one of my 7 machines, the only one awake at the moment. At this point other than sharing the wire I have done nothing to network them. Clicking on home folder then Browse Network I can see my 7 machine and the windows network. Double clicking the 7 machine I see the shares as well as the hard drive however password is requested. I have no password set on that machine it does not want the windows network password, It seems that being the sharing is controlled by the Windows workgroup network I can not connect, only see the shares. same result if I drill down into the windows network. From the Windows machine I can not see the Ubuntu Machine
    Last edited by Dave_in_MD; May 23rd, 2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Add win pc observation

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast