Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing USB Memory Stick for Booting 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Preparing USB Memory Stick for Booting 12.04

Thanks for all the good advice, and links. (And special thanks for the warning about using the manual install. You remember how much trouble I had taking Grub off sda!)

It will take me a while to digest all the information, but I'll be back with questions. (I always seem to have them.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yet once more you have helped me to a solution! Thanks again. All went well, and I now have a bootable flash drive with 12.04 installed.

The only issue is that I'm experiencing very slow downloads. (I installed updates - many, and it took several hours.) I was connected via Ethernet cable, and it is normally quite fast. I tried booting the flash drive from my faster laptop, which is connected by wireless, and the downloads were still slow. The system on the flash drive is surprisingly fast. It's only the downloads which are so slow.

The light on my router flashes for a few seconds, then stops, and that behavior is repeated constantly, so the throughput is quite low. Could it be some kind of buffering issue? The laptop downloads very fast when I boot it into Windows 7. And the Ethernet connection, where I normally use Ubuntu on the external drive has always been fast (but, not sure about today).

In any case, I now have a working system on flash drive, which was my goal. Nevertheless, I'm still going to try to get a bootable flash drive to use as an installer. I intend to try the Startup Disk Creator method which was suggested, and I''m still perplexed about why the drive I created using Unetbootin won't boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you tried to change download mirror?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Anything that has to do a lot of writes to the flash drive will be slow.

All Ubuntu/ Canonical have been slow recently. Seems better today. I always change to a more local download mirror as mörgæs suggests and change for all updates once installed.

I install a different way. A bit more advanced as you have to directly edit grub.cfg, but really just have to copy some entries. I loopmount the ISO using grub2, so then it is just a copy of the ISO.

On my flash drive, I have a data partition and use that to store ISO. But then you have to edit path to find ISO.

MultiBoot USB with Grub2 (boot directly from iso files)
    Basically you just install grub2, create a folder for the isos and edit a grub.cfg to loop mount the isos.
    HOWTO: Booting LiveCD ISOs from USB flash drive with Grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288604
    http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1535864
    Install grub2 to USB -general info
    http://members.iinet.net/~herman546/....html#GRUB_USB

This will boot an ISO from a hard drive.
    ISO Booting with Grub 2 from Hard drive - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1549847
    Boot ISO from harddrive. To install it would have to be different partition
    [SOLVED] Using grub 2 to boot an iso off hard drive
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1535864
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I didn't know that you could choose a mirror when downloading software. Thanks to both of you for mentioning it. (Found the place in the Software Center where you can choose "Select Best Server", and I suppose one should do that each time before downloading.)

Thanks for the information and links to MultiBoot USB with Grub2. I'll look at them, but I confess to nervousness about anything that involves working with Grub. With your help, have finally got Grub doing what I want it to, and I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by walt11 View Post
    ... choose "Select Best Server", and I suppose one should do that each time before downloading.
    No, just do it once. The ranking among mirrors seldom change (except for the last couple of days, where there has been some delay).
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks. That saves a lot of unnecessary effort.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The 12.04 system on my flash drive is running so well that I replaced my older, multiple-times, upgraded system on my external drive with it, freeing up substantial space for data as well. Thanks again for all the help.

I appreciate the information on booting LiveCD ISOs from flash drive or hard drive, but that seems rather complex for me, and right now I'm happy with what I have. I'm going to mark this thread as solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12