Thread: copy bootable usb to sd card

Beans

copy bootable usb to sd card

I have created a bootable USB so I have dual boot option on eee pc. However, I want to boot from the SD card instead of the USB. I've tried, and failed, to copy the OS and now the SD card probably needs a re-format.

I'm sure it must have been asked before and I have searched and failed to find the answer.

Please can someone tell me the commands to format the SD & to copy the OS from the USB to the SD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: copy bootable usb to sd card

Quote Originally Posted by cleeve51 View Post
    I have created a bootable USB so I have dual boot option on eee pc. However, I want to boot from the SD card instead of the USB. I've tried, and failed, to copy the OS and now the SD card probably needs a re-format.

I'm sure it must have been asked before and I have searched and failed to find the answer.

Please can someone tell me the commands to format the SD & to copy the OS from the USB to the SD.
    I think you need to put the sd card into an external USB card reader then use the startup disk creator and point it to the device.

Beans
    Hidden!

If the size of the flash card is at least big enough for the used part of USB drive (the partitions), you can probably use dd. It is nick-named disk-destroyer, because it does what you tell it to do, and does not ask if that is really what you want

If you are really careful and check the device names of the two drives, and get the input and output devices right, it does magic

For example, if you have one HDD, and insert the USB drive first and the flash card after the USB drive is recognized, it should be like this

/dev/sda -- internal HDD
    /dev/sdb -- USB drive
    /dev/sdc -- flash drive

(but check this with
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    and
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    to be sure and edit x and y to fix your device names before you run the command!!! Maybe x --> b and y --> c but maybe not, you must check it yourself.)

and your command line will be
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sdx of=/dev/sdy bs=4096
    You get no output during the process and the speed is not very high via USB, so you have to have patience ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1 to what philinux said.

The in-built SD card reader is usually not recognized by the BIOS at boot time. Also Grub does not pick up an ISO file on a SD card in the reader so you cannot try to boot it that way either.

Beans
    Hidden!

You can boot an eee pc from the built in flash card drive, at least older models.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6953228_boot-eee-pc-sd-slot.html

And if you feel scary with dd, please do the boot drive creation procedure once more (pointing directly to the flash drive)!

Good luck!

Beans

Solved
    Thanks to everyone, I'm sure all methods work but I used Sudodus' dd commands and it worked perfectly.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm glad it worked for you. Please click on Thread Tools at the top of this page to mark this thread as SOLVED.