Thread: Unable to open synaptic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Unable to open synaptic

I am running Ubuntu 12.04, I installed kde-desktop over the ubuntu 12.04 installation.

After doing so I am facing a peculiar problem, when i try to open synaptic by clicking it, it prompts me for the password... I enter the password as usual but after that synaptic windows does not opens.

I have tried this many times but of no avail.

But, when I try gksudo synaptic it opens and works fine... Does anyone else is facing this problem.
    A stopped clock shows right time twice a day

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Unable to open synaptic

I was getting that behavior before I blew away my KDE because I found I was using my Xubuntu install more and more.

I never resolved the issue because I didn't find it worth my time. I believe this is already on launchpad, though, so I'll see if I can find an answer.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Why not just used Ubuntu Software Center or apt-get, I don't believe that synaptic is really used in Ubuntu anymore, since USC is better for new users and apt-get is the fast method, while synaptic is the kinda unwanted in-between, but please correct me...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Synaptic has some features that are very useful.

The Software Center is great for most people.

Muon, which comes with the KDE desktop, causes some people grief.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If you just type synaptic in a terminal, does it give any errors, or anything? Doing that will give you a warning that you will not be able to apply any changes, but it should still open. I'm interested in whether or not you get any error messages from trying that.

Quote Originally Posted by BLewis View Post
    Why not just used Ubuntu Software Center or apt-get, I don't believe that synaptic is really used in Ubuntu anymore, since USC is better for new users and apt-get is the fast method, while synaptic is the kinda unwanted in-between, but please correct me...
    Like QIII said, there are some trouble shooting uses for Synaptic that the Software Center can't perform, and it's easier than trying to mess around with the command line for some of these things. Also, not all available packages show up in the Software Center.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss