Thread: Cannot run live cd 12.04 - boots okay

Beans

Question Cannot run live cd 12.04 - boots okay

I am running Linux Mint 11 atm. I have installed Myth 0.24 fixes as a combined BE/FE. It works with no problems.

However I would like to try Mythbuntu 12.04, but I cannot work out how to set it up as as test system. On bootup I have the choice of a permanent install of Mythbuntu (I am not ready for that yet) or test a frontend if I have a network Backend. But I don't have a network B-E.

So my question is whether it is possible to test MB 12.04 in my situation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Cannot run live cd 12.04 - boots okay

Have you tried it in virtual box or qemu or anything like that too get a feel for it ?
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

I didn't think to try it in VBox. I will give that a shot, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When I ran MythBuntu 12.04 the last time, the default option was as a combined front- and backend, so that everything was combined on one machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    When I ran MythBuntu 12.04 the last time, the default option was as a combined front- and backend, so that everything was combined on one machine.
    Not in the livecd there isn't. But there are options to change that when you install, you choose what role you want your computer to play.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you don't want to wipe your box, it is possible to actually run the backend off the live CD, but you will need to manually do a few things:

1) Mount a hard disk or large USB disk.
    2) Copy the contents of /var/lib into that disk.
    3) Unmount the disk.
    4) Remount the disk at /var/lib. Basically it will be the backing for that directory now.
    5) Re-enable the upstart jobs for mythtv-backend and mysql by renaming the jobs in /etc/init
    6) Start mysql
    7) Run mythtv-setup
    8) Start mythtv-backend

I haven't tried all of that myself, so no guarantees it will actually work. It's not something we've tested.

Another (far easier) route is to replace your HDD in the box temporarily and install to that replacement HDD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Another (far easier) route is to replace your HDD in the box temporarily and install to that replacement HDD
    Couldn't you also install to an external HD, and then boot off the external HD? That's how I typically test alpha and beta builds of Ubuntu, for example.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Couldn't you also install to an external HD, and then boot off the external HD? That's how I typically test alpha and beta builds of Ubuntu, for example.
    Yes, in fact I am posting this from mythbuntu 12.04 installed on a 8G USB flashdrive. A bit slow, and I can't record big files, but it is useful to prove it works.