Thread: Live CD wont mount HD

Beans

[SOLVED] Live CD wont mount HD

Hello,

my Ubuntu PC is broken and I placed the HD as a data-HD in an other Windows 7 PC. (to copy the data from the Ubuntu HD to an external USB-HD)

The Windows 7 can't read the EXT3 files on the Ubuntu HD. So I tried it with the live CD. (the only one I have is the V6.06 LTS)With the live CD I can see the Ubuntu HD, but I don't know how to mount the Ubuntu HD.

Could someone explane to me how I can mount the Ubuntu-HD using the live CD ?
    Last edited by Dutch; May 15th, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Live CD wont mount HD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Hello,

my Ubuntu PC is broken and I placed the HD as a data-HD in an other Windows 7 PC. (to copy the data from the Ubuntu HD to an external USB-HD)

The Windows 7 can't read the EXT3 files on the Ubuntu HD. So I tried it with the live CD. (the only one I have is the V6.06 LTS)With the live CD I can see the Ubuntu HD, but I don't know how to mount the Ubuntu HD.

Could someone explane to me how I can mount the Ubuntu-HD using the live CD ?
    If you disconnect the windows hd, the bios will boot off your ubuntu-hd (as it's the only remaining one) and you can go from there.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans

Re: Live CD wont mount HD

Quote Originally Posted by roelforg View Post
    If you disconnect the windows hd, the bios will boot off your ubuntu-hd (as it's the only remaining one) and you can go from there.
    Thanks roelforg for this suggestion. The PC gave a 1962 warning, no OS found. But with 3 HD in that PC, I just disabled al the HD and the PC started up with the Ubuntu-HD (did you see the tears roll of my cheek

Because we have 2 identical PC's it did work. I just was a little bit scared.

So thank's roelforg for the suggestion.

I've already copied the importand files and left the rest in the past.