Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softwares (windows) you would like to see on linux?

Beans

Lightbulb Software (windows) you would like to see on linux?

Many time we encounter newbie's wanting to contribute to open source. But having no ideas of their own. So this thread may help them to get started. And there are users who say they don't have particular window software on linux. Lets fulfill their wish too. Please name some software you think should be on linux.
    Last edited by aman.sharma0091; May 16th, 2012 at 09:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Softwares (windows) you would like to see on linux?

what? you plan to do development?

most games and photoshop. it's the ontly stuff that really needs porting and keeps most users from switching to Linux.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Yes I am planning to start a project too. But be specific and name the software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if you need an developer i am with you if i can
    there are few games and i strongly feel that we need a very advance javascript ide
    really
    Last edited by shubham1; May 15th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
    be a open source developer , php , c++ more information from ubuntu one ; do not give full screen applications full control
    http://linkbun.ch/1sdv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I admire your enthusiasm -- but do you really know what you're taking on here? Asking because the few apps and games that have NOT been ported over to Linux, and also do not run well (or at all) in Wine are all the results of YEARS of programming efforts, encompassing hundreds of thousands of hours of work, and probably costing millions of dollars in the process.

Anything less onerous has already been done -- as evidenced by apps like GIMP (which does lots of what Photoshop does) and LibreOffice (which does lots of what MS Office does).

Furthermore, from what I've been reading on these forums for years, folks don't really want something that is SIMILAR to what they used in MS Windows, in terms of functionality -- because they're not eager to learn new ways of doing what they already know how to do in MS Windows.

What they really want is the MS Windows app (or game) looking and working exactly the same in Linux as it did in Windows -- and able to import and export the same files. That way, they can switch over to Linux, and apart from the desktop, not have to learn anything new.

Basically, they want a FREE clone of the MS Windows app or game.

Folks have been working at this stuff for over ten years -- give them some credit for what they've been able to accomplish so far. IF it was really easy, cheap, and simple, we'd have all those apps and games already cloned in Linux.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I admire your enthusiasm -- but do you really know what you're taking on here? Asking because the few apps and games that have NOT been ported over to Linux, and also do not run well (or at all) in Wine are all the results of YEARS of programming efforts, encompassing hundreds of thousands of hours of work, and probably costing millions of dollars in the process.

Anything less onerous has already been done -- as evidenced by apps like GIMP (which does lots of what Photoshop does) and LibreOffice (which does lots of what MS Office does).

Furthermore, from what I've been reading on these forums for years, folks don't really want something that is SIMILAR to what they used in MS Windows, in terms of functionality -- because they're not eager to learn new ways of doing what they already know how to do in MS Windows.

What they really want is the MS Windows app (or game) looking and working exactly the same in Linux as it did in Windows -- and able to import and export the same files. That way, they can switch over to Linux, and apart from the desktop, not have to learn anything new.

Basically, they want a FREE clone of the MS Windows app or game.

Folks have been working at this stuff for over ten years -- give them some credit for what they've been able to accomplish so far. IF it was really easy, cheap, and simple, we'd have all those apps and games already cloned in Linux.
    excatly right i completely agree with you
    be a open source developer , php , c++ more information from ubuntu one ; do not give full screen applications full control
    http://linkbun.ch/1sdv

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not an Ubuntu support question; moved to Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Hidden!

All steam games (Eg: Terraria), Flash Editors from Adobe, StarCraft series, Diablo series, all MMORPGs, .NET Framework (All Versions, to support Terraria), XNA Runtime (Terraria), DirectX Runtimes (RPG maker), RPG Maker (All versions), All non-Linux MMORPG Engines
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Solidworks CAM.

Have fun..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast