Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root file/installation type

Beans

Root file/installation type

Hello!

So I am new to ubuntu and am thus a complet noob, I just used Unebootin to install ubuntu on my old asus eee PC. I went through all the stages untill I came to the installation type screen, as far as I can figure out I am suppose to choose a partition for /dev/sda/1 ntfs which is microsoft windows xp home edition but I cannot make heads or tales which I should change too, or am I suppose to do something else?

Maybe I should create a new partition because /dev/sda is empty?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Root file/installation type

christopher17; HI ! Welcome to the forum .

Are you making this more difficult than it is ???
    At that 1st install screen what are the options ?
    IF ubuntu is to be the sole operating system installed on that 1st hard drive (sda), how about taking the easy way and choose the option " erase disk and install ubuntu" (making SURE that sda is the hard drive chosen for the installation) answer the personal questions and you will be set up and all to go .

I am all for easy
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Need mor info (Re: Root file/installation type)

Hello christopher17, and Welcome to the Ubuntu forums community!

Regarding the question:
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher17 View Post
    ... until I came to the installation type screen ...
    Do you mean one like this? Or like this?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher17 View Post
    ... as far as I can figure out I am suppose to choose a partition for /dev/sda/1 ntfs which is microsoft windows xp home edition but I cannot make heads or tales which I should change too, or am I suppose to do something else?
    All depends on what you want to do. If the screen looks like the second link, then hit the back button. Then it should look like the screen in the first link.

Now that it looks like the screen in the second link, then you have to choose: keep Win XP just in case, or just get rid of everything and LOOSE ALL DATA!!!!!!!! (Before making any decision, I recommend you back up, and avoid the "Oh No!" moment. I personally recommend Clonzilla. You can get a copy of clonezilla at http://clonezilla.org , just like you get a copy of ubuntu.)

To keep XP and ubuntu on the same PC, choose "Install alongside them". Then choose how much space you want to give each.

To get rid of XP, choose "Erase everything and install Ubuntu". Again, you will LOOSE AL DATA!!!!!!!! Be carefull when choosing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jonathan Precise; 1 Week Ago at 09:46 PM. Reason: Post unfinished

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@ christopher17; Hey,

See the ups ^ .

@ Jonathan : Hi !

Long time no read !
    good to see ya once more .

'buntu
    all for 1 and one for all
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Re: Need mor info (Re: Root file/installation type)

Quote Originally Posted by
    Do you mean one like [URL="http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=255322&d=1407529887"
    this[/URL]? Or like this?
    The second option, I never got to choose the first one for some reason, I didnt install ubuntu from a cd or a usb so maybe thats the problem?

I installed Unebootin, choose ubuntu, the data gets extracted to the harddrive, restarted the computer, booted Unebootin during start up, I choose "install ubuntu" option and then I got the install sequence, minus the one where I get to choose "erase disk and install ubuntu" and whatnot.

Now that I think about it I didnt choose specifically where the Ubuntu data would be extracted to when I used Unebootin.
    Last edited by christopher17; 1 Week Ago at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have had many problems with unetbooting. Try LinuxLive instead: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Beans

Thx everyone but I think I figuer it out, I noticed that when I had my usb drive plugged in i get to the option to replace windows with ubuntu, but then I have not enough space. I think I need to buy a large usb drive and extract the ubuntu iso file into it instead of to my harddrive, which I have been doing until now.

ps: how large usb drive would I need to completly replace windows with ubuntu? I dont think my computer is powerful enough to have them running at the same time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'd recommend you'd buy a usb disk at least 2 GB.

How much RAM and HDD space does it have? It may be able to run both at the same time.
    Last edited by Jonathan Precise; 1 Week Ago at 01:31 PM. Reason: Made clearer for the OP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Precise View Post
    I'd recommend you'd buy a usb disk at least 2 GB.

How much RAM and HDD space does it have? It may be able to run both at the same time.
    It has 2 gb RAM and 160 gb storage and 1.33 ghz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I *think* it should be able to run both. Just make sure to use the windows partition re-sizer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast