Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad and dual-booting OS X

Beans

Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad and dual-booting OS X

Hi,

I am pretty frustrated with getting my Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad to reconnect on reboot if I have used it in OS X in between.

When I boot into OS X I simply tap on the devices and the system asks if I want to connect them. I answer yes and that's it.

In Ubuntu 12.04 I have to go into the Bluetooth settings and completely remove the devices from the list of know devices. Then completely turn them off and then start the discovery process. This may or may or may not work after one or more attempts. Frequently dialogs for entering PIN codes are shown below the main window. Frequently the device blinks for a second in the discovery dialog and then disappears. Often when I am able to click continue the only message I get is that setup failed.

What to do? Batteries are new enough and the setup never fails in OS X. The system is a MacBook Air 3,2.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad and dual-booting OS X

Sorry, not tips. This has been an issue since 11.10:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1874245

I still use my cheap plastic usb keyboard and mouse when I swap OS

Beans

The Wiki has some info:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/A...ck_.2810.10.29
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/A...d#Known_issues

Also, see here:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/68939...tions-in-11-10

It is really a shame that these problems have existed for about two years already and have not been solved yet.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I too have a problem bluetooth mouse that's been busting my chops for some time now. It remains stored in the devices list and even remains paired. But many times to actually get it to work I have to give it a swift kick by re-enabling Input Services from the Blueman device list. Now I'm reading it's because I'm dual booting? I am not liking what I'm reading.

Asus EeePC 1018P, dual boot Win7 Home and Xubuntu 12.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFossilFuel View Post
    Now I'm reading it's because I'm dual booting? I am not liking what I'm reading.
    Quite possibly so. You could try the script posted in comment #8 of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...z/+bug/1001825, but be sure to read the following comments also.

Beans

Linux newbie here, but after ~6 hours of searching the internets I finally found a solution.

1. Pair device(s) to Linux

2. Pair device(s) to Mac OS X

3. Run the attached script in Linux

Note: The script is assuming the OS X disk is mounted and its name is Macintosh HD. Change 10:9AD:7E:10:E2 to the MAC address of your Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad. The script will work for the wireless keyboard and the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad. Any device not paired with OS X will be removed from linux.

After rebooting from linux the keyboard will not be paired during the boot process. If OS X is your default boot option just let it boot then reboot and you will be able to use startup keys.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zerosly View Post
    Linux newbie here, but after ~6 hours of searching the internets I finally found a solution.

1. Pair device(s) to Linux

2. Pair device(s) to Mac OS X

3. Run the attached script in Linux

Note: The script is assuming the OS X disk is mounted and its name is Macintosh HD. Change 10:9AD:7E:10:E2 to the MAC address of your Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad. The script will work for the wireless keyboard and the Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad. Any device not paired with OS X will be removed from linux.

After rebooting from linux the keyboard will not be paired during the boot process. If OS X is your default boot option just let it boot then reboot and you will be able to use startup keys.
    I have tried to do it the way its explained above, however thats what i am receiving

maciej@maciej-iMac:~$ #!/bin/sh
    maciej@maciej-iMac:~$ cd /var/lib/bluetooth
    maciej@maciej-iMac:/var/lib/bluetooth$ for i in *; do
    > cd "$i"
    > plutil -i /media/angel/Macintosh\ HD/private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist -o /dev/stdout |
    > perl -0777 -MMIME::Base64 -ne 's|\s||g; $s = $_; while ($s =~ m|<key>(..-..-..-..-..-..)</key><data>(.*?)</data>|g) { $mac = uc($1); $key = uc(unpack("H*",reverse decode_base64($2))); $mac =~ s/-/:/g; $pinlength = 6; $pinlength = 4 if $mac eq "7c:d1:c3:bd:e7:34"; print "$mac $key 0 $pinlength\n"; }' |
    > tee linkkeys
    > cd ..
    > done
    tee: linkkeys: Permission denied
    maciej@maciej-iMac:/var/lib/bluetooth$ service bluetooth restart
    stop: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.88" (uid=1000 pid=4370 comm="stop bluetooth ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Stop" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")
    start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.89" (uid=1000 pid=4367 comm="start bluetooth ") interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init")
    maciej@maciej-iMac:/var/lib/bluetooth$

Beans

Did this ever get resolved? Anybody have success with zerosly's instructions?

I'm just getting started with Ubuntu and would like to get this bluetooth issue taken care of.

Thanks

Beans

Don't have an apple, so cannot test it, but the error you're getting is because of permissions. Just do sudo su before running the script and it should run, whether it works or not, I can't tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast