Thread: Encryption password

Beans

Encryption password

I just installed ubuntu 12.04 and went about customizing it and installing apps and such when I came across a backup tool.
    The problem is that this tool requires my encryption password and i forgot to save that in the beginning. Any way i can recover or change that password without a re-install?
    I still have my admin password(obviously else i could not use my machine)
    Any help would be great thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Encryption password

Try your adminpass.
    Ubuntu needs the pass at boot as well to decrypt your files so it can use them and let you log in,
    so it's somewhere.
    Most people set it to their adminpass.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you talking about the password the Backup tool (DejaDup) asks you for when first setting it up?

If so then it is unrelated to any other password and is used to secure the encrypted backup files. You absolutely must remember it however as you will require it to be able to restore files from the backup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cryptotheslow View Post
    Are you talking about the password the Backup tool (DejaDup) asks you for when first setting it up?

If so then it is unrelated to any other password and is used to secure the encrypted backup files. You absolutely must remember it however as you will require it to be able to restore files from the backup.
    That's exactly my point!!! I don't remember
    When Ubuntu first installs a terminal pops up prompting you to enter your admin password and after you have entered that it shows you a weird random (call it what you will) key-phrase which i am sure contains uppercase and lowercase alphanumeric characters of certain length. This is the one that i don't remember but as it is true that a terminal popped up in order to show me the phrase the first time there has to be some command or method/procedure to perform recovery no?
    i do have my admin pass so providing that will not be a problem as i am still regularly using this system.

Hope someone figures something out....
    and btw thanks for the responses so far cryptotheslow and roelforg.