Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brightness problem in Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Brightness problem in Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit

I am faced with the same problem of being unable to adjust the backlight on my HP Pavilion 15z Laptop (Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 8400G).
    I've tried all the methods suggested in these posts and various others. Has anyone had any success with this particular HP Pavilion model? Open to all suggestions.

Beans

I tried the solution below, and the result was that my desktop loaded to the wallpaper and remained frozen, so much so that I couldn't access virtual terminals with Ctrl + Alt + F1. Had to remove the setting and still can't set the brightness. This is on a Dell Inspiron 17 model 3737, Intel integrated 4400 graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavidJohnson View Post
    No sooner had I gotten this working a couple of weeks ago in 12.04 and I decided today to blow up my Precise install and switch to 13.04. I can confirm that the Techjail procedure does not work (on my Gateway NV57H44u at least) in 13.04 64-bit.

So, after some digging around I came across this solution instead. Using the following:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

to replace the default line (which just ends in "quiet splash") in grub did the trick for me! I've read that it may work on other Ubuntu versions as well. Worth a shot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I still do not have a solution to changing the screen brightness on this netbook (Acer One 725). When I use the Fn key and the brightness keys the upper right indicator of blrightnes goes crazy without any change in the screen. It is obvious from all the other comments that this is an OS problem rather than a hardware problem. I wonder shy the Ubuntu team doesn't make a working patch for the problem?
    White box computer:Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H MB,AMD A6 3670 APU, 640GB HD, 8GB RAM, Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820T Laptop, 6GB RAM, 320GB HD, : AcerOneNetbookAO150,1.5GB RAM,120GB HD, AcerAspireOneNetbook725,2GB RAM 320GB HD. All Ubuntu 14.04.2LTS

Beans

Supreme solution! I was about 3 years without the possibility to change the brightness of my laptop. Terminal commands rules!

In addition, if "xrandr" is written alone it returns all the screen specifications and its names.

Abraço
    albert

Beans

thanx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavidJohnson View Post
    No sooner had I gotten this working a couple of weeks ago in 12.04 and I decided today to blow up my Precise install and switch to 13.04. I can confirm that the Techjail procedure does not work (on my Gateway NV57H44u at least) in 13.04 64-bit.

So, after some digging around I came across this solution instead. Using the following:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

to replace the default line (which just ends in "quiet splash") in grub did the trick for me! I've read that it may work on other Ubuntu versions as well. Worth a shot!
    I have an ASUS X401U running 12.04 and this solved my problem perfectly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12