Thread: brightness contorl not working in ubuntu 12.04 for sony

Beans

brightness contorl not working in ubuntu 12.04 for sony

hi
    i own a sony vaio vpceh25en laptop... i recently installed the ubuntu 12.04 platform after reading a lot of good reviws about it and am liking it also but i am facing just one little problem that the BRIGHTNESS doesnt change by using the fn + f5 or f6 key it just shows in the bar that the brightness has decreased but no effect...
    also i have reasearched a lot to rectify this problem within this forum and outside too but nothing helped me much....

PLEASE HELP.....

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: brightness contorl not working in ubuntu 12.04 for sony

I have a Vaio VPCEJ1Z1E which has the Nvidia GeForce 410M GPU which a google search suggests that yours does too. Make sure you have the nvidia proprietary driver installed from Additional Drivers and then apply the xorg.conf fix as described in this post - which works for me - and reboot.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...96&postcount=7

The third link that Gaba_p posted has the same fix and tells you how to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Talking Re: brightness contorl not working in ubuntu 12.04 for sony

I have a sony Vaio VPCEG3AEN and the following worked for me:

I opened the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the below section

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Initially the setion was:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Changed it to:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    EndSection

Note: Some forums suggest a change in the /etc/default/grub file
    You need to revert back those changes for this to work

Beans

hi,

I have a Sony Vaio SVE15115enb (E-series) with ubuntu 12.04. I had this brightness settings problem and tried lot of commands and edited some files yet not solved which suggested in different posts in other websites. I finally got the solution.

I have a 1GB grahic card AMD RADEON which ubuntu doesn't recognises.

1) So, go to SYSTEM SETTING --> then ADDITIONAL DRIVERS.you can find the drivers which are all inactive.
    2) Make the graphic card driver "active".It takes some time to get install.
    3)Then RESTART. and it works with Fn + F5 or F6.

hope it works for you.

It also solved another problem too.Whenever I start my ubuntu, the screen gets shake.So every time i start my laptop I close laptop lid and after few seconds I re-open the lid.But now its working normally.No more screen shaking or scramble.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by srinivas karthik View Post
    I have a 1GB grahic card AMD RADEON which ubuntu doesn't recognises.

1) So, go to SYSTEM SETTING --> then ADDITIONAL DRIVERS.you can find the drivers which are all inactive.
    2) Make the graphic card driver "active".It takes some time to get install.
    3)Then RESTART. and it works with Fn + F5 or F6.
    @srinivas karthik, Ubuntu does recognise your card, but it seems from what you say that the default open source driver does not allow screen brightness control with your particular AMD card. You have installed the proprietary driver and this has fixed it for you.

However, the OP is using a Sony laptop with a nvidia card and the posted solutions are for nvidia as well. Since the OP has not logged in since they posted over a year ago, I'm closing this thread. If anyone needs help with brightness control with a Sony laptop, please start a new thread. Different cards often need different solutions.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.