Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The books thread

Beans

The books thread

Ubuntuforums doesn't have a thread yet where we can discuss books so let's make one. Feel free to discuss anything related to books and reading here.

I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy myself. Up until halfway the second book I thought it was soso. Enough to read on but nothing to be amazed by. After that it got pretty good, though. Finished the third book in less than a week.
    Full time open source software developer. Projects:
    Wakame-vdc: Virtual data center. Community: Wakame Users Group
    OpenVNet: Virtual networking using OpenFlow
    Sinatra-browse: Parameter declaration framework and browsable API for ruby Sinatra.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The books thread

Many of the books in my personal connection have a spiritual/religious tone to them, so what I can share about them is limited by the CoC.

One book I've seen mentioned in the forum in the past is "Rebel Code" - I have a copy somewhere that I picked up for $2 when my local library decided that it no longer wanted it.

Speaking of my local library, when I visited the other week, I noticed that they have a copy of Ubuntu Unleashed, 2010 edition. (A special "hello" to U-G & Matthew at this point)

I'm currently working my way through "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" by Ken Kesey for the third time. I recall trying to read it for English class back in the 1970s, about the time the film came out, and not making it past the first few pages. Although the movie version focuses on Jack Nicholson's character, the book is narrated from the perspective of the Chief.
    Last edited by lisati; May 14th, 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added comment about OFOTCN
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been going through a phase of 'hardcore sci-fi' and 'Vietnam War' books lately.

The two titles that have really stood out for me, are Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War", which is seriously good, tech-based sci-fi (rather than fantasy based). And a Vietnam War book called "Sympathy for the Devil" by Kent Anderson.

If you have even a passing interest in either genre, you should definitely check these books out.

Special mention to Robert A Heinlein's "Friday" - i re-read it recently, probably the 10th time i've read it to be fair, and it's still just pure awesome. Friday is such a babe

Beans

I've heard about sympathy for the devil but not the others. What exactly made them stand out so much for you?
    Full time open source software developer. Projects:
    Wakame-vdc: Virtual data center. Community: Wakame Users Group
    OpenVNet: Virtual networking using OpenFlow
    Sinatra-browse: Parameter declaration framework and browsable API for ruby Sinatra.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Trying to read the tibetan book of the dead. Not the easiest read that is for sure.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Metallion View Post
    I've heard about sympathy for the devil but not the others. What exactly made them stand out so much for you?
    Well the sci-fi ones are chock-full of awesome future-technology - i love that sort of thing. They both also seem to me to be totally plausible visions of the future.

With Friday, I also liked it's ideas of future social concepts and the ideas behind them. The Forever War deals with encountering an alien race in an interesting way, and has some concepts of time/space and Artificial Intelligence that are quite different.

Sympathy For The Devil is just a well written book about war, it's easy to read, and quite funny in many parts.

Beans

Reading a lot of Lee Child & David Baldacci novels lately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I rarely read novels, but I do read Stephen Hawking's books. All 2 of 'em
    Also, An Introduction to Language is pretty interesting too. Linguists will find them very helpful, while average readers (like me) will find it entertaining.

Beans
    Distro

I tried reading a brief History of Time - it got really beyond me, really quickly Kinda like Robert A Heinleins "Number of the Beast". As soon as he started talking about quantum mechanics, i got totally lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Face-Ache View Post
    I tried reading a brief History of Time - it got really beyond me, really quickly Kinda like Robert A Heinleins "Number of the Beast". As soon as he started talking about quantum mechanics, i got totally lost.
    Now that is my favorite type of reading I have a few other armchair physics books, lol because that is all I sort of understand. It takes a bit of creativity to imagine some of the things you read in these books.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast