Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you do to make pages for your website?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: What do you do to make pages for your website?

I just read something shivering in my dutch-textbook (i live in the netherlands, remember?).
    There was an exercise that had to do with creating a webpage.
    First a bit about where the site goes (so good so far).
    Then they say (translated): "A site is build locally in a normal folder or usb drive and then uploaded to a webserver.", i could see why they say this, but i always build websites on a local webserver because you can't test php-scripts when running from a folder.
    Then they go on about the "free homepage" vs. "website".

Finally they get to creating the content...
    They tell you to use ms word (with a small notice that others will usually do)!
    *shiver*
    They tell you to create it in there and then use the "export html" option...
    I've seen the html that it produces...
    *cold, deep shiver at the memory*
    I know it's computer generated, but word produces even worse html with simple layouts (say, a text) then kompozer does with very complex layouts!
    It, for some reason, includes css-defs for EVERY SINGLE font it has, it doesn't matter if you use it or not.
    I mean, for a simple notice it produces 900-line html files where only 20 have any real value and you can cut out all the css w/o affecting the result!

It made me shiver, to think that people actually create webpages this way!
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@Roel.

That my friend is a good example of why one would want to stay away from a WYSIWYG. Seems like the ones who make the best sites, tend to be the ones that do it themselves and learn it themselves.

@lyk... Copy and paste the rest of the name here.

I guess I can see where you are coming from, I mean the point of a WYSIWYG is the ability to make websites without having to mess with the code much... But in the end CSS makes it easy to make and customize a whole site with ease. Then all you really need is content to put in each page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Admittedly I haven't read the thread but any text editor with syntax higlighting is good. I personally just use leafpad or bluefish. I do wish notepad++ had a linux version.. that would be great.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

vim, sublime-text-2, inkscape, gimp.

that's just about it.

Beans

GViM, GIMP, Inkscape, HTML, CSS, Javascript/AJAX/JSON, Apache, Perl, SQLite, MySQL, ProgreSQL.

I try to render as much as possible to static content so that downloads are as fast as possible and the browser can cache them.
    Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
    Shawn

Programming is as much about organization and communication as it is about coding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123