Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.10.iso problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: 12.10.iso problems

No luck so far with May 14 quantal iso on an Acer Intel netbook and an Acer AMD notebook.

1. Try booting .iso file direct with Grub 2 function. Has been working well with 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12,04, not with 12.10 because squashfs can't find files. Fails on both pc's.

2. Try iso hybrid USB flash memory gets up to trying to copy files then gets some error writing syslog and says to clean the CD. How do I clean the USB memory bits? Fails on both pc's.

3. Use unetbootin to make USB install. Gets a lot farther but then on "Detecting hardware" gets "Bug: unable to handle null pointer dereference at 0000004C"

In none of the three cases will ubuntu-bug do anything.

Finally found Dash's "Startup Disk Creator" which Dash has filed under "C" not under Startup. Sure is a lot faster on 10.04 to find some application....

Let me try quantal's startup disk creator...

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.10.iso problems

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    then on "Detecting hardware" gets "Bug: unable to handle null pointer dereference at 0000004C"

Jerry
    Same with me. I have downloaded three daily live 64 bit desktops, burned to DVD, and then tried to install to a 16G usb. In each time it hangs on Detecting hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Miykel, I highly recommend trying Startup Disk Creator to make a bootable USB disk, especially in this early alpha stage of the development cycle. There's not much use in using a CD for something that may or may not work and is only useful for about a week or so anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No luck so far with May 14 quantal iso on an Acer Intel netbook and an Acer AMD notebook.

1. Try booting .iso file direct with Grub 2 function. Has been working well with 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12,04, not with 12.10 because squashfs can't find files. Fails on both pc's.

I always use a usb flash disk. In fact I don't use disk-creator, I use syslinix and my own syslinux.cfg file and use 7zip to extract just the files needed for the usb.

Regarding the loopback boot from grub2. I have searched for a few days now. Your right, it worked on all the previous releases. Hopefully its just something with the current iso and will work on the first beta iso.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

G'Day Guys, Just done another install from a disc I just burned from the latest release and all is good, providing I got to try ubuntu then click n the install icon, if I install straight up , grub is a drama (???), one thing I noticed is that when I do a straight install the program wants to install grub on sdb1 but when i go through install icon it selects sdb1, next install I'll try the straight install and change grub location to sdb1 and see what happens.
    nVidia drivers still need the workaround before they will install or upgrade Xorg.
    I've tried burning the disc with braserio, startup disc, and in windows, iso burner and nero all the same result.
    Regards Miykel
    It's nice to be here, and at my age it's nice to be anywhere

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just downloaded the daily build (May 15th) and booted using VirtualBox - no problem at all.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 11.10 / Dell XPS M1730 / GeForce 8700M GT (rev a1) / BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: 12.10.iso problems

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Miykel, I highly recommend trying Startup Disk Creator to make a bootable USB disk, especially in this early alpha stage of the development cycle. There's not much use in using a CD for something that may or may not work and is only useful for about a week or so anyway.
    Yep, tried the "quantal startup disk creator", went fine, seemed to me install was 90% done and then the "null pointer 0000004C" errror again. For whatever reason ubuntu-bug doesn't work either. It starts then all its windows disappear.

Jerry

p.s. Startup disk creator to a USB is many times slower than booting .iso direct from hard drive like I did in Alpha and Beta for Precise, Oneiric, Narwhal, Meerkat, Lynx, Mint, ... plus, I was led to believe that "isohybrid" method was supported by ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: 12.10.iso problems

Quote Originally Posted by cmccauley View Post
    Just downloaded the daily build (May 15th) and booted using VirtualBox - no problem at all.
    Can you then do an install to the hard drive from Virtual Box? I've never used Virtual Box since I've got multiple partitions and just choose one to try the .iso's.

Jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just did fresh daily-live usb-stick installation and I haven´t any problem,

system works and run fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can you then do an install to the hard drive from Virtual Box? I've never used Virtual Box since I've got multiple partitions and just choose one to try the .iso's.

Jerry
    Yes Jerry, you can add it as a virtual CD. When the VM starts up it acts as if it were booting from a live CD. Marginally easier than using a USB drive.

Chris
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 11.10 / Dell XPS M1730 / GeForce 8700M GT (rev a1) / BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast