Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    17

    Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    I can't help but notice that System76 has dropped most of their laptop lineup, and my numerous emails to press@system76.com have gone unanswered (they were on a different topic). Is System76 having financial problems? Is there any risk of me losing support for my Serval Professional?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    84
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    I can't speak to System76's financial situation, but there are a few threads here which mention that they are working on new replacement models, and that these will be added to the website as they are launched. So at least there is no apparent connection between the number of models currently available and the financial stability of the company.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    17

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    Ok. I just wanted some explanation. Would you happen to know why their press email address isn't replying to my messages?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    84
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    Sorry, no idea. Maybe you could try calling the phone number instead:
    https://www.system76.com/contact/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    32

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by chrismamo1 View Post
    Ok. I just wanted some explanation. Would you happen to know why their press email address isn't replying to my messages?
    They seem to have recently changed their contact system; when I emailed them on April 10th, I got an auto-response that said,

    Thank you for contacting System76. We no longer communicate by email. We have built a brand new messaging system to bring you faster, more personalized service.

    To contact a System76 representative go to www.system76.com and click "Contact" on the top navigation. Click the "Ask a Question" button.

    Of course you can always give us a call too! 888.468.6482 Option 1.

    When I sent them text messages using the new system, they responded promptly. I was asking them about their new laptop lineup, actually, and they said they expected to have them ready by "late April to early May." We're a bit past that, so I think they've been delayed slightly, but we should be seeing them soon.

    Also, I follow them on Google+, and they post messages there fairly regularly, as recently as 2 days ago: https://plus.google.com/u/0/104919222657565747428/posts

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Beans
    84
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkintuit View Post
    They seem to have recently changed their contact system; when I emailed them on April 10th, I got an auto-response that said,

    Thank you for contacting System76. We no longer communicate by email. We have built a brand new messaging system to bring you faster, more personalized service.

    To contact a System76 representative go to www.system76.com and click "Contact" on the top navigation. Click the "Ask a Question" button.

    Of course you can always give us a call too! 888.468.6482 Option 1.
    When I sent them text messages using the new system, they responded promptly. I was asking them about their new laptop lineup, actually, and they said they expected to have them ready by "late April to early May." We're a bit past that, so I think they've been delayed slightly, but we should be seeing them soon.

    Also, I follow them on Google+, and they post messages there fairly regularly, as recently as 2 days ago: https://plus.google.com/u/0/104919222657565747428/posts
    I think the OP was referring to the general inquiries email address, which as far as I can tell is still up on the System76 "Contact" webpage. The contact method you mention above is for sales--maybe this is the only method for contacting System76 now, but it isn't clear from their webpage. But at least all signs point to System76 being alive and well!

    If anyone from System76 is reading this: if press@system76.com is no longer functional or there are long delays in responding, you should let the OP know.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    32

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    Quote Originally Posted by brdmn View Post
    I think the OP was referring to the general inquiries email address, which as far as I can tell is still up on the System76 "Contact" webpage. The contact method you mention above is for sales--maybe this is the only method for contacting System76 now, but it isn't clear from their webpage. But at least all signs point to System76 being alive and well!
    Yes, mainly I wanted to address chrismamo1's concern that the non-response could be a sign of financial difficulties at S76.

    But after writing that I sent S76 a message about this problem (via the sales channel) and this morning got a response: "Thanks for the heads up. I believe there is an automated message that come with sending to that email box direct a person to open sales or support ticket here. I'll certainly let the owner of the box know what's going on."

    I suspect there's a temporary glitch of some kind with the "press" email.

    Anyway, I agree that there some lack of clarity at the moment on how to contact them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Beans
    383
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    Given System76's sponsorship at UDS, I doubt they're having any sort of financial issues. They had a strong presence there - it was great to be able to try the Lemur Ultra firsthand (it seems a very well-built machine, with surprisingly ample palmrest area for 14" laptop), and every meeting room at the conference had a Meerkat Ion running the A/V.

    Thanks for the UDS support, S76! Great to meet some of your folk in person.

    As for their laptop inventory, I suspect the problem there is just that their supplier seems heavily invested in systems with switchable NVidia graphics, for which there are known issues with Linux.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    32

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    Hey, over at Google+ System76 has announced that their new Gazelle is launching on Monday:

    https://plus.google.com/104919222657...ts/B2z2sGNn6iC

    They've got some pics and a few specs up.

    So some of that unsettling white space on their laptop page will be filling up quite soon...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    89
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is System76 experiencing severe financial problems?

    @Thinkintuit

    Looks good, thanks for the heads up! Though, if there's no graphical boost (i.e. dedicated card), why even bother with a seemingly heavier, fatter chasis than the one used for the Pangolin Performance? The latter is fairly slim and light for its class, and already features the screen size and other such capabilites. The only thing it needs, at least for me, is the better screen of the Gazelle (better res and matte). Perhaps there's more than meets the eye here with the Gazelle, or perhaps it just looks thicker and heavier to me. Hopefully, anyway, as I really want to order a laptop from them, but there's always one or two glaring oversights that keep me from pressing "add to cart."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •