Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to get out of my confort zone witch is JAVA please help.

Beans

Re: I want to get out of my confort zone witch is JAVA please help.

Pick a low-overhead scripting language to help out with lightweight, rapid prototyping where Java can be a poor choice.

If you're thinking about Ruby versus Python, the latter likely sees more use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Scala. It lets you use all of your existing JVM and java library knowledge & the more you use it the more your mind will expand with some useful and very non-Java paradigms.

Beans

You'd like to get out the Java comfort zone.
    Then I'd recommend something that will be different. You already know Miranda which is very similar to Haskell, how about some Lisp?

Beans

What scenario are you looking to expand on?

There are literally hundreds of languages that run on the Java virtual machine, and some of them don't look anything at all like Java but compile to the same byte code and more importantly they play nicely with Java.

All of that means that you can mix and match languages as appropriate and easily run it on the same VM as though they were the same language.

I use groovy (a language) and grails (a web framework for groovy) which is fantastic for web development. Groovy is a dynamically compiled language (yes, compiled not interpreted) with loose typing and dependency injection. Groovy is the language you use if you use a gradle build script, which seems to be the next ant.

Grails is a convention-over-configuration framework for rapid web development. It integrates groovy, Spring framework, hibernate and a bunch of other neat tools/libraries.

There are several reasons I'm recommending a JVM language:
    1. You can use it professionally right alongside your Java app
    2. Application servers, build tools, etc all will work nicely so you don't need to learn everything over at the same time.
    3. On server side apps, the application starts once and then runs for days or months, which negates the overhead issues that most anti-Java people cite as a reason to not use it.
    4. There are lots of other people who will recommend a UN*X-specific or UN*X-native language. They're right too.

Eventually you should be looking at something unrelated to the JVM though, because sooner or later the JVM will be obsolete. Also, UN*X oriented operating systems tend to use C or C++, and lots of shell scripts.

Groovy also works well as a scripting language, but you get that VM startup overhead then so it's best for something you run manually or something where the VM stays active for your entire session.

Good luck and have fun.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Seine View Post
    Scala. It lets you use all of your existing JVM and java library knowledge & the more you use it the more your mind will expand with some useful and very non-Java paradigms.
    Quote Originally Posted by xytron View Post
    You'd like to get out the Java comfort zone.
    Then I'd recommend something that will be different. You already know Miranda which is very similar to Haskell, how about some Lisp?
    I was going to recommend checking out clojure for these 2 reasons
    Last edited by 11jmb; May 15th, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ruby and Python are quite similar. They are both dynamically-typed, object oriented / procedural languages.

I like Scala a lot. It runs on the JVM and has very good interoperability with Java - you can easily use the thousands of available open source Java libraries from Scala. A lot of people are interested in Scala, at Java developer conferences there's a lot of interest for it. Companies such as Twitter and LinkedIn are using Scala.

Scala has a mix of object oriented and functional programming features. It's a great way to learn functional programming, especially if you already know object oriented programming.

If you really want to go to something that's completely different than Java, then something like Haskell might be interesting. It's a pure functional programming language - quite different from OO or procedural programming.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    Ruby and Python are quite similar. They are both dynamically-typed, object oriented / procedural languages.

I like Scala a lot. It runs on the JVM and has very good interoperability with Java - you can easily use the thousands of available open source Java libraries from Scala. A lot of people are interested in Scala, at Java developer conferences there's a lot of interest for it. Companies such as Twitter and LinkedIn are using Scala.

Scala has a mix of object oriented and functional programming features. It's a great way to learn functional programming, especially if you already know object oriented programming.

If you really want to go to something that's completely different than Java, then something like Haskell might be interesting. It's a pure functional programming language - quite different from OO or procedural programming.
    Guys Scala looks fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12