Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Remastersys is back in active development

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation Remastersys is back in active development - new version 3.0.0 download info

Due to the number of emails I received I have decided to make time to continue to develop remastersys.

I am planning to include options for distributions to make it easier. I already have some scripts that I have personally been using for distribution mode remasters and will be including them in the main remastersys package. As a result I will need dedicated testers for the different variants to help me out in testing.

Please post here, PM me, or email me if you can help out.
    Last edited by Fragadelic; November 29th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Remastersys is back in active development

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forestpiskie View Post
    Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure where I should put it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Glad to see Remastersys is active again.

Not sure that I can be of much help but on my system I have 2 Ubuntu installations. Gnome-only built from mini.iso, I have one built from 11.10 & another built from the 12.04 repositories. If that is something you would like it tested on I would be happy to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks.

Any help with testing would be great. I actually would like at least a few folks from each variant of ubuntu and being able to help with the versions in testing would help me release newer version sooner. The one built from mini.iso would be very beneficial as well. I need to make sure remastersys pulls in all the proper dependencies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for continuing development of this program!

The only qualm I had with it is that I couldn't figure out how to save the output to some place other than default. An option to save to an external (or other) drive would be very nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    Thanks for continuing development of this program!

The only qualm I had with it is that I couldn't figure out how to save the output to some place other than default. An option to save to an external (or other) drive would be very nice.
    Thanks.

The Working Directory part of the /etc/remastersys.conf file is where you would set it. The only issue right now is if the external drive uses something other than a linux filesystem but I have been trying to figure something out for that.

The issue I have with non-linux formatted drives is due to the fact that some of the important files get copied over to a dummysys folder as they need to be changed and there is no way I would think of changing live system wide files on the working system. The /var and /etc folders are copied over along with some other blank folders.

I have been thinking of creating a file on the working directory, loop mounting and formatting this file with ext2 and then squashing this area from the loop mounted filesystem. My only issue with this is that the size can vary greatly and can be over 1GB in some cases. This poses a problem for fat16 formatted drives. Fat32 should be fine and ntfs but fat16 is definitely a problem and I haven't found a reliable method of testing for this.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Since I am continuing with it I will need all the help I can get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's what I was thinking as well since it doesn't have any bits & pieces left over from a live image installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am glad to hear that you are going to continue development on the tool. I have found it very useful in the past, and would for sure try any new version you put out.

It has been a while since I have used it, but I remember having to do a number of manual steps when creating a distribution ISO, so if that could be steam lined a bit I think it would be a lot easier for people to use.

Keep us updated on you progress!
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello, Fragadelic.
    [...] I have decided to make time to continue to develop remastersys.
    Great!
    Had already been wondering whether Remastersys 2.0.18.1 would continue to work fine on Oneiric or Pangolin in the way it had been doing on Lucid.
    Good to know Remastersys is alive.

Kind regards,
    Karl

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast