Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Notes for Installing MediaWiki on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post My Notes for Installing MediaWiki on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS

Greetings and salutations,

I hope this thread will be helpful to those who follow in my foot steps as well as getting any advice based on what I have done / documented.

This is a Work-In-Progress topic so I will be updating this thread as I learn more about Ubuntu and MediaWiki.

High-level overview

This thread will cover installation of a dedicated Ubuntu server, Apache Web service and MediaWiki web site. The server will be installed inside a virtual machine vSphere 4.1 running on ESXi 4.1 servers. Although there are some VMware-specific steps, they are very few and the majority of this documentation will work for other VMs such as VirtualBox or even directly installed onto a physical machine. Please excuse any ignorance on my part since I am fairly new to Linux and MediaWiki...if you have any advice on doing things better, please let me know. I love feedback and learning better ways of doing things!

After Ubuntu is installed and configured, Apache web server will be installed and configured. Next will be the installation and configuration of MediaWiki which will utilize an existing remote MySQL server. Some extensions will then be installed and tested.

The last step will cover some custom scripts to help automate tasks such as backing up, automatically growing the file system when free space is low, etc.

Tools utilized in this process

Helpful links

The list below are sources of information that helped me configure this system as well as some places that might be helpful to me later on as this process continues.

Assumptions

This documentation will need to make use of some very-specific information that will most-likely be different for each person / location. And as such, I will note some of these in this section. They will be highlighted in red throughout the document as a reminder that you should plug-in your own value rather than actually using my "place-holder" value.

Under no circumstance should you use the actual values I list below. They are place-holders for the real thing. This is just a checklist template you need to have answered before you start the install process.

Wherever you see RED in this document, you need to substitute it for what your company uses. Use the list below as a template you need to have answered before you continue.

• Ubuntu Server name: srv-wiki
    • Internet domain: mydomain.com
    • Ubuntu Server IP address: 192.168.107.30
    • Ubuntu Server IP subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Ubuntu Server IP gateway: 192.168.107.1
    • Internal DNS Server 1: 192.168.107.212
    • Internal DNS Server 2: 192.168.107.213
    • External DNS Server 1: 8.8.8.4
    • External DNS Server 2: 8.8.8.5
    • Ubuntu Admin ID: administrator
    • Ubuntu Admin Password: myadminpass
    • Email Server (remote): 192.168.107.25
    • MySQL Server (remote): 192.168.107.20
    • MySQL root Password: mysqlrootpass
    • MySQL wiki user: mediawikiuser
    • MySQL wiki Password: mysqlwikipass
    • Windows Share ID: mediawikishare
    • Windows Share Password: mywikisharepass

I also assume the reader knows how to use the VI editor. If not, you will need to beef up your skill set or use a different editor in place of it.
    Last edited by LHammonds; June 18th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: My Notes for Installing MediaWiki on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS

Analysis and Design

The Ubuntu Server Long-Term Support (LTS) is free but we have the option of buy support and that is the main reason this server was selected.

The largest decision over the configuration of Ubuntu seems to be how the hard drive space is sliced up (partitioned). I lot of my time was spent researching and learning the various options when it comes to the design layout of the storage.

I like to make use of a design that allows for dynamic growth and fine-tuning if need be. I also do not like being caught offguard with a scenario where space is filled up with no immediate option other than deleting files. Long-term life and growth of the system as well as budgeting concerns have to be taken into consideration.

I like to contain the root volume to mainly just static data that won't grow much and push the other folders that are dynamic into their own volumes. In case you don't know, filling up the root volume on a *nix system is a very bad thing and should be avoided at all costs. I also want to configure it where the file systems are not taking up 100% of the logical volume. This will allow me (through automated scripts) to grow the file system as needed and give me some time to add more drives if necessary or shrink other volumes to get more space.

Here are my thoughts on how to slice up the space.

• Boot - This will remain static in size. It is also the only space residing outside the Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
    • Root volume - Operating system and everything else which should remain fairly static.
    • Swap volume - This will remain static in size. However, if amount of RAM is adjusted, this should be adjusted as well.
    • var volume - This is the application storage and will continue to grow over time.
    • Backup volume - This will contain a local backup of the Opt volume. So space needs to be around double /opt/mediawiki.
    • Temp volume - This location will be used to hold data during backups, archives and restores and should be about double the size of opt/mediawiki.
    • Offsite Storage - This will be handled elsewhere but will be mounted on this server.

My estimated wiki store will be about 6 GB. However, we will start this server off with a much lower number. We will then pretend some event happened such as many people starting to document all their processes (with images). This will increase our storage needs and we will go through adjusting the entire system to accommodate a larger storage capacity. This will be a good exercise / documentation for what will eventually need to be done later to handle growth.

To get a good idea of the hard drive layout and to understand the process better, here is a graphical representation of the initial design for the server:

These numbers will be used for the initial build of the system:

boot = 200 MB
    root = 4 GB
    swap = 4 GB
    var = 2 GB
    temp = 4 GB
    backup = 4 GB

NOTE: When the logical volumes and file systems are initially created, they consume the maximum amount of space allocated so that the logical volume size = file system size. This will be later modified so that the logical volume will be larger than the file system so that the file system has room to expand when needed.

Important info:
    - The /tmp folder is strictly temporary. Each time the server reboots, this folder is deleted and re-created.
    - The /temp folder is for semi-permanent temporary files. Files placed here will not go away after a reboot.
    - The /backup folder will retain the most recent backup and is considered the "local" copy of the backup.

Virtual Machine Settings

Virtual Manager: VMware vSphere Client 4.1
    Virtual Host: VMware ESXi Server 4.1

• Configuration: Custom
    • Name: SRV-Wiki
    • Datastore: MainOffice-LUN0
    • Virtual Machine Version: 7
    • Guest Operating System: Linux, Version: Ubuntu Linux (64-bit)
    • Number of virtual processors: 1
    • Memory Size: 2048 MB
    • Number of NICs: 1
    • NIC 1: VM Network
    • Adapter: E1000, Connect at Power On: Checked
    • SCSI controller: LSI Logic Parallel
    • Select a Disk: Create a new virtual disk
    • Create a Disk: 20 GB, No thin provisioning, No cluster features, Store with the virtual machine
    • Advanced Options: Virtual Device Node = SCSI (0:0)
    • Remove Floppy Drive
    • Mount CD/DVD Drive to Ubuntu ISO (ubuntu-12.04-server-amd64.iso). Make sure CD/DVD is set to Connect at power on
    • Set boot options to Force BIOS Setup so you can set CDROM to boot before the Hard Disk

Install PuTTY

The 1st time I installed Ubuntu, I used the console for everything but it was painfully slow to view man (manual) pages and navigating in VI (text editor). However, I found out that PuTTY is a far better solution for your Ubuntu console because it handles the screen draws much faster and allows for scrolling and copying text.

Download the portable edition and run the install...except it doesn't really "install" like a normal program, it simply extracts to a specified folder and will run from that folder even if you put it on a USB stick and carry over to a new computer (requires no install to run and thus leaves a very small footprint on your system)

1. Start PuTTY
    2. Type the following and click the Save button:
      Host Name: srv-wiki (or the IP such as 192.168.107.23)
      Port: 22
      Connection type: SSH
      Saved Sessions: SRV-Wiki
    3. Now all you have to do is double-click on the mediawiki session and it will connect to your server (when online).
    Last edited by LHammonds; May 20th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Install Ubuntu Server

NOTE: During the setup process throughout this entire document, most commands will require "sudo" as a prefix. However, I will be using "sudo su" to temporarily gain root privileges.

1. Power on the Virtual Machine (VM)
    2. Press {ENTER} to accept English
    3. Select Install Ubuntu Server {ENTER}
    4. Press {ENTER} to accept English
    5. Press {ENTER} to accept United States
    6. Select No to not detect keyboard layout
    7. Press {ENTER} to accept English (US)
    8. Press {ENTER} to accept English (US)
    9. Type srv-wiki {ENTER} (this is your hostname)
    10. Type Administrator, {ENTER} for the full name
    11. Press {ENTER} to accept the default of the lowercase name of administrator
    12. Type myadminpass, {ENTER}, myadminpass, {ENTER}
    13. Select No, {ENTER} to not encrypt your home directory
    14. Press {ENTER} to accept detected time zone (America/Chicago)
    15. Select Manual {ENTER}
    16. Select SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) - 21.5 GB VMware Virtual disk {ENTER}
    17. Select Yes to create new empty partition table, {ENTER}
    18. Select pri/log 21.5 GB FREE SPACE {ENTER}
    19. Select Create a new partition {ENTER}
    20. Type 200 MB, {ENTER} (NOTE: This will be the /boot partition)
    21. Select Primary {ENTER}
    22. Select Beginning {ENTER}
    23. Select Use as: Ext4 journaling file system {ENTER}
    24. Select Ext2 file system {ENTER}
    25. Select Mount point: / {ENTER}
    26. Select /boot - static files of the boot loader {ENTER}
    27. Select Bootable flag: off {ENTER} (NOTE: This toggles it on)
    28. Select Done setting up the partition {ENTER}
    29. Select Configure the Logical Volume Manager {ENTER}
    30. Select Yes to write change to disks and configure LVM, {ENTER}
    31. Select Create volume group {ENTER}
    32. Type LVG {ENTER}
    33. Select /dev/sda free #1 (21274MB; FREE SPACE), {SPACEBAR}, {ENTER}
    34. Select Yes to write change to disks and configure LVM, {ENTER}
    35. Select Create logical volume {ENTER}
    36. Select LVG (21269MB) {ENTER}
    37. Type swap {ENTER}
    38. Type 4G {ENTER} (NOTE: This is double the amount of RAM)
    39. Select Create logical volume {ENTER}
    40. Select LVG (17272MB) {ENTER}
    41. Type bak {ENTER}
    42. Type 4G {ENTER}
    43. Select Create logical volume {ENTER}
    44. Select LVG (13274MB) {ENTER}
    45. Type var {ENTER}
    46. Type 2G {ENTER}
    47. Select Create logical volume {ENTER}
    48. Select LVG (11278MB) {ENTER}
    49. Type temp {ENTER}
    50. Type 4G {ENTER}
    51. Select Create logical volume {ENTER}
    52. Select LVG (7281MB) {ENTER}
    53. Type root {ENTER}
    54. Type 4G {ENTER} (we will have a small amount leftover in LVG)
    55. Select Finish {ENTER}
    56. Select #1 4.0 GB directly under LVM VG LVG, LV swap, {ENTER}
    57. Select Use as: do not use {ENTER}
    58. Select swap area {ENTER}
    59. Select Done setting up the partition {ENTER}
    60. Select #1 4.1 GB directly under LVM VG LVG, LV root, {ENTER}
    61. Select Use as: do not use {ENTER}
    62. Select Ext4 journaling file system {ENTER}
    63. Select Mount point: none {ENTER}
    64. Select / - the root file system {ENTER}
    65. Select Done setting up the partition {ENTER}
    66. Select #1 4.0 GB directly under LVM VG LVG, LV bak, {ENTER}
    67. Select Use as: do not use {ENTER}
    68. Select Ext4 journaling file system {ENTER}
    69. Select Mount point: none {ENTER}
    70. Select Enter manually {ENTER}
    71. Type /backup {ENTER}
    72. Select Label: none {ENTER}
    73. Type backup {ENTER}
    74. Select Done setting up the partition {ENTER}
    75. Select #1 4.0 GB directly under LVM VG LVG, LV var, {ENTER}
    76. Select Use as: do not use {ENTER}
    77. Select Ext4 journaling file system {ENTER}
    78. Select Mount point: none {ENTER}
    79. Select /var {ENTER}
    80. Select Label: none {ENTER}
    81. Type mediawiki {ENTER}
    82. Select Done setting up the partition {ENTER}
    83. Select #1 4.0 GB directly under LVM VG LVG, LV temp, {ENTER}
    84. Select Use as: do not use {ENTER}
    85. Select Ext4 journaling file system {ENTER}
    86. Select Mount point: none {ENTER}
    87. Select Enter manually {ENTER}
    88. Type /temp {ENTER}
    89. Select Label: temp {ENTER}
    90. Select Done setting up the partition {ENTER}
    91. Here is what the screen looks like at this point: Partitions
    92. Select Finish partitioning and write changes to disk {ENTER}
    93. Select Yes to write changes to disk, {ENTER}
    94. Press {ENTER} to accept a blank line for the HTTP proxy
    95. Select Install security updates automatically, {ENTER}
    96. Highlight only OpenSSH server and press {SPACEBAR} to enable, {ENTER} to continue. NOTE: This allows us to use PuTTY after installation to connect to the server.
    97. Select Yes, {ENTER} to install GRUB boot loader to the master boot record
    98. Installation Complete - from the VM menu, select VM --> Edit Settings and select CD/DVD Drive 1 and change to "Client Device" which will effectively remove the ISO. Now press {ENTER} to reboot.

Initial Configurations

1. At the console login prompt, login with your administrator account (administrator / myadminpass) and then temporarily grant yourself super user privilages by typing sudo su
    2. Type vi /etc/network/interfaces {ENTER} and change the following: (We need to change the network interface card (NIC) from using DHCP to a static IP)

Code:
      iface eth0 inet dhcp
      To:
      Code:
      iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.107.23
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      gateway 192.168.107.1
      network 192.168.107.0
      broadcast 192.168.107.255
      dns-nameservers 192.168.107.212 192.168.107.213 8.8.8.4 8.8.8.5
      NOTE #1: You may need to manually remove the DHCP record (lease) associated to this Ubuntu server from your DHCP server so the correct IP can be found by other machines on the network. This can be avoided by temporarily configuring the VM Network Adapter connection to be "Host Only Network" instead of "VM Network" so the server is isolated during setup...at least until you reach the testing of the static IP below.

NOTE #2: You might also need to manually add a HOST(A) record to your Windows DNS server (for srv-wiki.mydomain.com and srv-wiki.work.mydomain.com)
    3. Restart the network by typing /etc/init.d/networking restart
    4. Sanity check! Type ifconfig and make sure the settings are correct. Then type ping www.google.com or similar and see if ping works.
    5. Shutdown and power off the server by typing shutdown -P now {ENTER}
    6. At this point forward, you can use PuTTY to access the console rather than the console itself for better performance, ability to scroll, etc.
    7. In VM menu, select VM --> Snapshot --> Take Snapshot. Give it a name like STEP 1 and description of Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS, clean install, Static IP: 192.168.107.23 and click OK

Software Configurations

1. Start the Ubuntu server and connect using PuTTY.
    2. At the login prompt, login with your administrator account (administrator / myadminpass) and then temporarily grant yourself super user privilages by typing sudo su
    3. At the $ prompt, type aptitude -y install vim-nox for use instead of the built-in VI editor. more info
    4. At the $ prompt, type aptitude -y install p7zip-full to install 7-zip archive utility.
    5. At the $ prompt, type aptitude -y install sendemail to install an email utility.
    6. Change the default shell from dash to bash. Type ls -l /bin/sh to see that it points to /bin/dash. Type dpkg-reconfigure dash and answer No. Type ls -l /bin/sh and it should now be pointing to /bin/bash
    7. Remove AppArmor to avoid problems by typing the following:
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/apparmor stop
      /etc/init.d/apparmor teardown
      update-rc.d -f apparmor remove
      aptitude remove apparmor apparmor-utils
    8. Reboot the server by typing reboot

VMware Tools

If you are installing under VMware like me, be sure to install the tools to insure maximum performance in a virtual environment.

1. In the VM toolbar for the VM, click Guest, Install VMware Tools
    2. At the Ubuntu prompt, type the following:
      Code:

mkdir /mnt/cdrom
      mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
      ls /mnt/cdrom       ( make sure you see a file such as VMwareTools-8.3.2-257589.tar.gz)
      tar zxvf /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools* -C /tmp/
      cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/
      ./vmware-install.pl -d
      reboot

Last edited by LHammonds; June 18th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Volume / Disk Management

At this point, let's assume something has changed and we need additional storage (e.g. insanely popular with more people adding content). The initial setup left us with no room to expand our file system! We need to change this.

For this scenario, we are expecting storage space to require 3 GB. If they need 3 GB for storage, let's double that amount for the actual size. Here is the planned adjustments for each file system:

var = 6 GB (double the expected storage)
    temp = 12 GB (double the www size)
    backup = 12 GB (double the www size)

In the analysis and design section, we wanted to have some file systems smaller than the logical volume on which they sit. This will allow us to allocate additional space when needed. However, when we created the volumes, Ubuntu automatically expanded the file systems to the maximum size of the volume. Normally, this is OK...but we want a system that will allow growth when needed and ensure that we will have time to add additional hard drives BEFORE they are needed which will keep us from being stuck between a rock and a hard place! You do not want to lose a job because somebody did not estimate growth correctly or the budget did not allow for large capacity when the system first rolled out.

This design calls for the backup, var and temp file systems to be slightly smaller than the maximum space available for the logical volume in which they reside in.

So, let's make the logical volumes an extra 1 GB larger. This means that we will need an additional 23 GB of storage {(7 + 13 + 13 ) - (2 + 4 + 4}. If we add two drives that are 12 GB each, that will be just enough to cover our needs. (NOTE: This was an arbitrary number because I wanted to show you how to add 2 drives to the system)

Here is a graphical representation of what needs to be accomplished:

If we were to type df -h right now, we should see something like this:

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/LVG-root  3.9G  976M  2.7G  27% /
    udev                  993M  4.0K  993M   1% /dev
    tmpfs                 401M  232K  401M   1% /run
    none                  5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none                 1002M     0 1002M   0% /run/shm
    /dev/sda1             179M   25M  145M  15% /boot
    /dev/mapper/LVG-bak   3.8G  121M  3.5G   4% /backup
    /dev/mapper/LVG-temp  3.8G  121M  3.5G   4% /temp
    /dev/mapper/LVG-var   1.9G  298M  1.5G  17% /var
    Since I am running VMware, adding additional space is a snap. However, I will add it in such a way that Ubuntu will see 2 drives added to the system just as if we were to add 2 physical drives to a physical server.

1. Shutdown and power off the server by typing shutdown -P now {ENTER}
    2. In the vSphere client, right-click the Virtual Machine and choose Edit Settings.
    3. On the hardware tab, click the Add button and select Hard Disk. Click Next, choose "Create a new virtual disk", click Next, set the size to 12 GB, click Next, Next, Finish.
    4. Add another 12 GB disk using the same steps above and click OK to close the settings and allow VMware to process the changes.

Collect information about the newly added drives.

2. At the login prompt, login with your administrator account (administrator / myadminpass) and then type su and the root password (myrootpass)
    3. Type pvdisplay which should show something similar to this:
      Code:
        --- Physical volume ---
        PV Name               /dev/sda5
        VG Name               LVG
        PV Size               19.81 GiB / not usable 3.00 MiB
        Allocatable           yes
        PE Size               4.00 MiB
        Total PE              5071
        Free PE               760
        Allocated PE          4311
        PV UUID               CJOZ2d-rhek-Dy95-UVuN-hAoR-Ao9q-nrScUv
      The important bits of info here are the PV Name and VG Name for our existing configuration.
    4. Type fdisk -l which should show something similar to this (however I abbreviated it to show just the important parts):
      Code:
      Disk /dev/sda: 21.5 GB, 21474836480 bytes
         Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
      /dev/sda1   *        2048      391167      194560   83  Linux
      /dev/sda2          393214    41940991    20773889    5  Extended
      /dev/sda5          393216    41940991    20773888   8e  Linux LVM
      Disk /dev/sdb: 12.9 GB, 12884901888 bytes
      Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table
      Disk /dev/sdc: 12.9 GB, 12884901888 bytes
      Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table
      The important bits of info here are the device paths for the new drives which are highlighted in red.

Prepare the first drive (/dev/sdb) to be used by the LVM

Type the following:
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sdb
    n (Create New Partition)
    p (Primary Partition)
    1 (Partition Number)
    {ENTER} (use default for first cylinder)
    {ENTER} (use default for last cylinder)
    t (Change partition type)
    8e (Set to Linux LVM)
    p (Preview how the drive will look)
    w (Write changes)
    Prepare the second drive (/dev/sdc) to be used by the LVM

Do the exact same steps as above but start with fdisk /dev/sdc

Create physical volumes using the new drives

If we type fdisk -l, we now see /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 which are Linux LVM partitions.

Type the following to create physical volumes:
    Code:
    pvcreate /dev/sdb1
    pvcreate /dev/sdc1
    Now add the physical volumes to the volume group (LVG) by typing the following:
    Code:
    vgextend LVG /dev/sdb1
    vgextend LVG /dev/sdc1
    Now that the space of both drives have been added to the logical volume group called LVG, we can now allocate that space to grow the logical volume.

To get a list of volume paths to use in the next commands, type lvscan to show your current volumes and their sizes.

Type the following to grow each volume by a specified amount (the number after the plus sign):
    Code:
    lvextend -L+5G /dev/LVG/var
    lvextend -L+9G /dev/LVG/bak
    lvextend -L+9G /dev/LVG/temp
    or you can specify the exact size by excluding the plus sign and specifying the end-result size you want:
    Code:
    lvextend -L7G /dev/LVG/var
    lvextend -L13G /dev/LVG/bak
    lvextend -L13G /dev/LVG/temp
    To see the new sizes, type lvscan

The last thing to do now is the actual growth of the file systems. We want to grow the existing file systems but only to a certain amount so we do not take up all the space in the volume...we want room to grow in the future so we have time to order and install new drives when needed.
    Code:
    resize2fs /dev/LVG/var 6G
    resize2fs /dev/LVG/bak 12G
    resize2fs /dev/LVG/temp 12G
    If we need to increase space in /var at a later point, we can issue the following command (without any downtime):

Code:
    resize2fs /dev/LVG/var 6100MB
    We could continue to increase this particular file system all the way until we reach the limit of the volume which is 13 GB at the moment.

Remember, df -h will tell you the size of the file system and lvscan will tell you the size of the volumes where the file systems live in.

If we were to type df -h right now, we should see something like this:

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/LVG-root  3.8G  904M  2.7G  26% /
    udev                  993M  4.0K  993M   1% /dev
    tmpfs                 401M  248K  401M   1% /run
    none                  5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    none                 1002M     0 1002M   0% /run/shm
    /dev/sda1             179M   25M  145M  15% /boot
    /dev/mapper/LVG-bak    12G  125M   12G   2% /var/backup
    /dev/mapper/LVG-temp   12G  125M   12G   2% /var/temp
    /dev/mapper/LVG-var   6.0G  301M  5.4G   6% /var
    TIP: If you want to see everything in a specific block size, such as everything showing up in megabytes, you can use df --block-size m

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Configure Ubuntu for Windows File Sharing

This file sharing section is optional but can be handy if you need to swap files between the Linux server and a Windows machine.

This documentation will utilize this share for passing pre-configured files (configs, scripts, etc.) to make it faster/easier during installation.

2. At the login prompt, login with your administrator account (administrator / myadminpass) and then temporarily grant yourself super user privilages by typing sudo su
    3. Install Samba by typing aptitude -y install samba smbfs (NOTE: To share a folder with Windows, you just need the samba package, to connect to a Windows share, you need both samba and smbfs)
    4. Type the following commands:
      Code:
      cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak
      mkdir -p /srv/samba/share
      chown nobody:nogroup /srv/samba/share/
      chmod 0777 /srv/samba/share
    5. Edit the configuration file by typing vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
    6. Change workgroup = WORKGROUP to workgroup = work (you are using the domain alias)
    7. Change:
      Code:
      #   security = user
      to:
      Code:
         security = user
    8. Add the following section to the end of the file:
      Code:
      [share]
      comment = Ubuntu File Server Share
      path = /srv/samba/share
      browsable = yes
      guest ok = yes
      read only = no
      create mask = 0755
    9. Save and exit the file.
    10. Restart the samba services to utilize the new configuration by typing:
      Code:
      restart smbd
      restart nmbd
    11. You should now be able to click Start --> Run and type \\srv-wiki or \\192.168.107.23 {ENTER} and see an explorer window with a Share folder. Drag-n-drop a file into the Share folder. If it worked, it will not display an error message and you should be able to view it from the server by typing ls -l /srv/samba/share/
    12. Shutdown and power off the server by typing shutdown -P now {ENTER}
    13. In VM menu, select VM --> Snapshot --> Take Snapshot. Give it a name like STEP 2 and description of Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS, File share configured, Static IP: 192.168.107.23. The Snapshot Manager should now have a nice hierarchy of snapshots (STEP 1 --> STEP 2 --> You are here)

Configure Windows Remote Mount Point

The remote offsite location is a Windows 2008 server that has a vast amount of hard drive space and currently backs up other servers.

Part of the backup process will be to write files to a mounted folder to a Windows share.

First, let's document the variables for this solution below and highlight them in red throughout the document for easy identification.

The values below are merely samples which you need to change in order to match your environment:

Windows AD Domain Name: work
    Windows Server Name: SRV-Backup
    Windows Server IP: 192.168.107.218
    Windows Share Name: mediawikishare
    Windows Physical Share Location: D:\MediaWiki\
    Windows Share ID: mediawikishare
    Windows Share Password: mywikisharepass

Create a share on a Windows 2008 server

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the D:\MediaWiki folder and select Properties
    2. Click the Sharing tab
    3. Click the Advanced Sharing button
    4. Place a checkmark beside Share this folder
    5. Change the Share name to mediawikishare
    6. Set the Comment to MediaWiki Backup
    7. Click the Permissions button
    8. Select Everyone and click the Remove button
    9. Click the Add button
    10. Type in your MediaWiki share account: work\mediawikishare and click the Check Names button, click OK
    11. Place a checkmark for Allow Full Control and click OK, click OK, click OK
    12. Create a text file in the root of the shared folder called "online.txt" and you might want to add some text inside saying to never delete this file because it is used (will be) by a MediaWiki backup script. Probably a good idea to make it read-only as well. Example: [B]D:\MediaWiki\online.txt[B]

Create an NFS mount to the Windows 2008 server

Connecting to a Windows share requires the samba and smbfs packages to be installed. If you did not install them (from a prior section), type aptitude -y install samba smbfs

1. At the login prompt, login with your administrator account (administrator / myadminpass) and then temporarily grant yourself super user privilages by typing sudo su
    2. Type the following commands:
      Code:
      mkdir -p /mnt/backup
      chown root:root /mnt/backup
      chmod 0755 /mnt/backup
      echo "This file is used to tell if the mount is active or not" > /mnt/backup/offline.txt
      chown root:root /mnt/backup/offline.txt
      chmod 0444 /mnt/backup/offline.txt
      touch /etc/cifspw
      chmod 0600 /etc/cifspw
    3. Type vi /etc/cifspw and add the following text, save and exit the file:
      Code:
      username=work\mediawikishare
      password=mywikisharepassword
    4. Type vi /etc/hosts and add the following line anywhere in the file:
      Code:
      192.168.107.218    srv-backup
      192.168.107.20    srv-sql
      192.168.107.25    srv-mail
    5. At this point, you might want to type ping srv-backup to make sure you typed the right IP address as well as seeing a good response.
    6. To mount this system for backups, type the following command:
      Code:
      mount -t cifs //srv-backup/mediawikishare /mnt/backup --options nouser,rw,nofail,noatime,noexec,credentials=/etc/cifspw
    7. To test it, type cp /etc/hosts /mnt/backup/hosts.txt and look on the Windows server and see if the file shows up. Then type rm /mnt/backup/hosts.txt and verify that the file was deleted on the windows server.
    8. This would also be a good time to verify that you can see the "online.txt" file that will be used by the backup script. Type ls -l /mnt/backup/*.txt
    9. To dismount the windows share, type the following command:
      Code:
      umount /mnt/backup

The scripts will call a common mount and unmount function to connect to this share only when needed.

However, if you would rather have it mounted all the time (even after a reboot), do the following (but remember to not use the mount/umount functions in the scripts later):

1. Type vi /etc/fstab and add the following line at the bottom of the file:
      Code:
      //srv-backup/mediawikishare    /mnt/backup    cifs nouser,rw,nofail,noatime,noexec,credentials=/etc/cifspw    0    0
    2. Type mount -a and if it does not spew out any error messages, it will quietly mount the share.
    3. To test it, type cp /etc/hosts /mnt/backup/hosts.txt and look on the Windows server and see if the file shows up. Then type rm /mnt/backup/hosts.txt and verify that the file was deleted on the windows server.
    4. If you need to unmount it, simply type umount /mnt/backup and it will remain unmounted until you reboot. To make it permanent, you need to remove the line you added in the /etc/fstab file.

Configure Ubuntu for Linux File Sharing

This file sharing section is optional but can be handy if you need to swap files between Linux servers.

This documentation will utilize this share for writing files to remote Linux servers using the same share point as the Windows samba folder.

Install NFS server files

1. Connect to your server using PuTTY.
    3. Install NFS server files by typing aptitude -y install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common)
    4. Edit /etc/exports and add the following line:
      Code:
      /srv/samba/share    *(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    5. Refresh NFS folders by typing exportfs -a

Connecting to a remote Ubuntu server that has an NFS mount configured ("srv-mysql" in this example)

1. Connect to your server using PuTTY.
    3. Type the following commands:
      Code:
      mkdir -p /mnt/srv-mysql
      echo "This file is used to tell if the mount is active or not" > /mnt/srv-mysql/offline.txt
      mount srv-mysql:/srv/samba/share /mnt/srv-mysql
      ls -l /mnt/srv-mysql
    4. If it worked, the list command will show you the files on the remote server instead of the "offline.txt" file.
    5. To unmount the NFS, type umount /mnt/srv-mysql
    Last edited by LHammonds; June 18th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Final Ubuntu Changes

3. Update the package database by typing aptitude update
    4. Install the latest updates by typing aptitude -y safe-upgrade
    5. Shutdown and power off the server by typing shutdown -P now {ENTER}
    6. In VM menu, select VM --> Snapshot --> Take Snapshot. Give it a name like STEP 3 and description of Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS, all patches applied, Static IP: 192.168.107.23. The Snapshot Manager should now have a nice hierarchy of snapshots (STEP 1 --> STEP 2 --> STEP 3 --> You are here)

TIP: Over time, upgrades to the kernel can start taking up space in /usr/src. I found this out because my root partition started to get full. When I typed this command: du -sh /usr/src/* I found out there was over a gigabyte of old files. To cleanly clear out old an unused headers, type the following commands:
    Code:

apt-get -f install
    apt-get autoremove

Configure MySQL

In this scenario, a dedicated and general-purpose MySQL server already exists and it will be used to hold the MediaWiki database.

1. Connect to the MySQL server using PuTTY.
    3. Type mysql -u root -p
    4. Type the following commands:
      Code:

CREATE DATABASE mediawiki;
      CREATE USER mediawikiuser;
      SET PASSWORD FOR 'mediawikiuser'@'%'=PASSWORD('mediawikiuserpassword');
      GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mediawiki.* TO mediawikiuser IDENTIFIED BY 'mediawikiuserpassword';
      FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
      exit

NOTE: Here is the thread for my notes on how I install MySQL on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Install Apache Web Server

1. Connect to the SRV-Wiki server using PuTTY.
    3. Type the following commands:
      Code:

aptitude -y install apache2

4. If you plan on utilizing email functions (and who doesn't!!!), type the following commands:
      Code:

aptitude -y install php-pear
      pear install mail
      pear install Net_SMTP

5. Once that is done, open a web browser and go to http://192.168.107.23 and you should see a web page that says "It works!"

Add Web Site Icon

If you want a custom icon to show up to the left of URL in the address bar, you need to follow these steps.

1. Create a 16x16 image that is 16 colors (4-bit) with dimensions of 16x16 pixels and save it as a .BMP file called favicon.bmp
    2. Use your favorite icon editor to convert the BMP image to an ICO file. (e.g. IrfanView)
    3. Copy favicon.ico to \\192.168.107.23\share
    4. Connect to the SRV-Wiki server using PuTTY.
    5. At the login prompt, login with your administrator account (administrator / myadminpass) and then temporarily grant yourself super user privilages by typing sudo su
    6. Type the following commands:
      Code:

mv /srv/samba/share/favicon.ico /var/www/.
      chown www-data:root /var/www/favicon.ico
      chmod 0755 /var/www/favicon.ico

7. Edit /etc/apache2/httpd.conf and add the following line:
      Code:

AddType image/x-icon .ico

8. Restart the Apache web server by typing service apache2 restart
    9. Once that is done, open a web browser and go to http://192.168.107.23 and refresh the page. You should see your icon to the left of the URL in the address bar.

Install MediaWiki Prerequisites

1. At the server console, type aptitude -y install php5 php5-mysql php5-gd imagemagick
    2. Now restart the web service, type service apache2 restart
    Last edited by LHammonds; June 18th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Install MediaWiki

At the time of this writing, MediaWiki's current version is 1.19.0 so we will be downloading and installing that archive.

1. Connect to the MediaWiki server using PuTTY.
    3. Type the following:
      Code:

rm /var/www/index.html
      cd /tmp
      wget http://download.wikimedia.org/mediawiki/1.19/mediawiki-1.19.0.tar.gz
      tar -xzvf /tmp/media*.gz -C /var/www/ --strip-components=1
      chown www-data:root --recursive /var/www/*
      find /var/www/. -type d -exec chmod 755 '{}' \+
      find /var/www/. -type f -exec chmod 644 '{}' \+
      rm /tmp/media*.gz

4. Open a browser and go to http://192.168.107.23, click on the "set up the wiki" link when the page loads.
    5. Installation Language - Click Continue to accept en-English
    6. Envirnomental Checks - Click Continue
    7. Connect to database - Set the following and click Continue:
      Database type: MySQL
      Database host: 192.168.107.20
      Database name: mediawiki
      Database table prefix:
      Database username: mediawikiuser
      Database password: mediawikiuserpassword
    8. Database settings - Set the following and click Continue:
      Check - Use the same account as for installation
      Storage engine: InnoDB
      Database character set: Binary
    9. Name - Set the following and click Continue:
      Name of wiki: MyWiki
      Project namespace: Same as the wiki name
      Your Name: JohnDoe
      Password: Hobo123!
      Password again: Hobo123!
      E-mail address: JohnDoe@mydomain.com
      Uncheck: Subscribe to the release announcements mailing list
      Check: Ask me more questions
    10. Options - Set the following and click Continue:
      User rights profile: Account creation required
      Copyright and license: No license footer
      Check: Enable outbound e-mail
      Return e-mail address: no-reply@mydomain.com
      Check: Enable user-to-user e-mail
      Check: Enable user talk page notification
      Check: Enable watchlist notification
      Check: Enable e-mail authentication
      Check: ConfirmEdit
      Check: Gadgets
      Uncheck: Nuke
      Check: ParserFunctions
      Check: Renameuser (* NOTE: Do not enable if you plan to use external LDAP authentication *)
      Check: Vector
      Check: WikiEditor
      Check: Enable file uploads
      Directory for deleted files: /var/www/images/deleted
      Logo URL: /wiki/skins/common/images/mylogo.png
      Uncheck: Enable Instant Commons
      Uncheck: No caching
    11. Install Confirmation - Click Continue
    12. Install Done - Click Continue
    13. Save the LocalSettings.php to your PC and then transfer to \\192.168.107.23\share
    14. On the server console, type the following:
      Code:

mv /srv/samba/share/LocalSettings.php /var/www/.
      chown www-data:root /var/www/LocalSettings.php
      chmod 0600 /var/www/LocalSettings.php

15. Increase the php filesize limit of uploaded files by editing /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini and find upload_max_filesize and change it from 2M to 50M, then find post_max_size and change it from 8M to 51M
    16. Increase the wiki filesize limit of uploaded files by editing /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following line: $wgMaxUploadSize = '52428800'; (Reference)
    17. Allow various file types to be uploaded and certain file types to be blocked by editing /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following lines:
      Code:

# Allow the files to be uploaded with the following extensions:
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'bmp';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'doc';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'docx';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'gif';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'jpg';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'jpeg';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'mp3';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'mpp';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'odt';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'ods';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'odp';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'odg';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'pdf';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'ppt';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'pptx';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'ps';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'png';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'tiff';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'xls';
      $wgFileExtensions[] = 'xlsx';

# Block files from being uploaded with the following extensions:
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'exe';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'php';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'sh';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'com';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'vbs';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'bat';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'htm';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'html';
      $wgFileBlacklist[] = 'js';

18. Edit /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following line:
      Code:

$wgFavicon = "$wgScriptPath/favicon.ico";

19. Edit /var/www/LocalSettings.php and make sure the path for $wgLogo points to your custom logo:
      Code:
      $wgLogo             = "$wgStylePath/common/images/mylogo.png";
    20. Create a logo image in PNG format that has the dimensions of 135 x 133 pixels. Save it to \\192.168.107.23\share\mylogo.png
    21. On the server console, type the following:
      Code:

chown www-data:root /srv/samba/share/mylogo.png
      chmod 0644 /srv/samba/share/mylogo.png
      mv /srv/samba/share/mylogo.png /var/www/skins/common/images/.

22. Edit /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following lines (preferably after the existing email variables):
      Code:

$wgSMTP = array(
       'host'     => "mail.mydomain.com", //could also be an IP address
       'IDHost'   => "mydomain.com",
       'port'     => 25,
       'auth'     => true,
       'username' => "my_smtp_username",
       'password' => "my_smtp_password"
      );

23. To enable the WikiEditor by default, edit /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following lines (preferably right after WikiEditor extension line):
      Code:

$wgDefaultUserOptions['usebetatoolbar'] = 1;
      $wgDefaultUserOptions['usebetatoolbar-cgd'] = 1;
      $wgDefaultUserOptions['wikieditor-preview'] = 1;
      $wgDefaultUserOptions['forceeditsummary'] = 1;

24. NOTE: To see a list of other preferences you can set by default, look at this page or run the following command: php /var/www/maintenance/userOptions.php --list
    25. To set configure some settings for the ConfirmEdit extension, edit /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following lines (preferably after the ConfirmEdit extension line):
      Code:

$wgCaptchaTriggers['edit']          = true;
      $wgCaptchaTriggers['create']        = true;
      $wgCaptchaTriggers['addurl']        = true;
      $wgCaptchaTriggers['createaccount'] = true;
      $wgCaptchaTriggers['badlogin']      = true;
      $wgGroupPermissions['emailconfirmed']['skipcaptcha'] = true;
      $ceAllowConfirmedEmail = true;

26. Restart the Apache web server by typing service apache2 restart
    27. Visit http://192.168.107.23/
    28. You should see your wiki page with your custom logo. Test your login ID that you created earlier.
    Last edited by LHammonds; June 18th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Install More Extensions for MediaWiki

Normally, you will go to the Extension Distributor page to select your desired extension. Then you will pick which version of MediaWiki you are running (1.19.x in this case) and then obtain the snapshot that works with the specific MediaWiki site you are running. Download and copy the archive to \\192.168.107.23\share

Anytime you create new files on your website, you need to make sure the files and folders have the correct ownership and permission settings.

Run these commands each time you need to reset ownership/permissions:

Code:

chown www-data:root --recursive /var/www/*
    find /var/www/. -type d -exec chmod 755 '{}' \+
    find /var/www/. -type f -exec chmod 644 '{}' \+
    chmod 0600 /var/www/LocalSettings.php
    chmod 0755 /var/www/favicon.ico

FlashMP3

1. Copy the php code on the web page to a file called FlashMP3.php and copy it to \\192.168.107.23\share
    2. Download the standalone player archive. Extract audio-player.js and player.swf and copy them to \\192.168.107.23\share
    3. At the server console, type the following commands:
      Code:

mkdir /var/www/extensions/FlashMP3
      mv /srv/samba/share/FlashMP3.php /var/www/extensions/FlashMP3/.
      mv /srv/samba/share/audio-player.js /var/www/extensions/FlashMP3/.
      mv /srv/samba/share/player.swf /var/www/extensions/FlashMP3/.

4. Reset ownership/permissions (see code at beginning of this section).
    5. Edit /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following to the bottom:
      Code:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/FlashMP3/FlashMP3.php" );

6. Visit the version page to verify that the extension was installed and loaded: http://192.168.107.23/index.php/Special:Version

VideoFlash

1. Copy the php code on the web page to a file called VideoFlash.php and copy it to \\192.168.107.23\share
    2. At the server console, type the following commands:
      Code:

mkdir /var/www/extensions/VideoFlash
      mv /srv/samba/share/VideoFlash.php /var/www/extensions/VideoFlash/.

3. Reset ownership/permissions (see code at beginning of this section).
    4. Edit /var/www/LocalSettings.php and add the following to the bottom:
      Code:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/VideoFlash/VideoFlash.php" );

5. Visit the version page to verify that the extension was installed and loaded: http://192.168.107.23/index.php/Special:Version

NOTE: The authors of this particular plugin did not include a version number and thus, none is displayed on the version page. You can correct this by editing the php file.

Change this:
    Code:

'url' => 'http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VideoFlash'
    );

To this:
    Code:

'url' => 'http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VideoFlash',
            'version' => '1.0'
    );

ContactPage

1. Download ConfirmPage from the Extension Distributor and copy to the Ubuntu share
    2. On the server console, type the following:
      Code:

mv /srv/samba/share/ContactPage* /tmp/.
      tar -xzf /tmp/ContactPage* -C /var/www/extensions

3. Reset ownership/permissions.
      Code:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/ContactPage/ContactPage.php" );
      $wgContactUser = 'Admin';
      $wgContactSender = $wgPasswordSender;
      $wgContactSenderName = 'Contact Form on ' . $wgSitename;
      $wgCaptchaTriggers['contactpage'] = true;

5. Visit the version page to verify that the extension was installed and loaded: http://192.168.107.23/index.php/Special:Version

NOTE #1: The wgContactUser must reference a valid email-enabled wiki user in order to display the form properly.

NOTE #2: The authors of this particular plugin did not include a version number and thus, none is displayed on the version page. You can correct this by editing the php file.

Change this:
    Code:

'url' => 'http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ContactPage',
            'descriptionmsg' => 'contactpage-desc',

To this:
    Code:

'url' => 'http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ContactPage',
            'version' => '1.0.76660',
            'descriptionmsg' => 'contactpage-desc',
    );

SyntaxHighlight GeSHi

1. Download SyntaxHighlight GeSHi from the Extension Distributor and copy to the Ubuntu share
    2. On the server console, type the following:
      Code:

mv /srv/samba/share/Syntax* /tmp/.
      tar -xzf /tmp/Syntax* -C /var/www/extensions
      mv /var/www/extensions/SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi-master-f7617c9 /var/www/extensions/SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi

Code:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi/SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi.php" );

Contribution Scores

1. Download Contribution Scores from the Extension Distributor and copy to the Ubuntu share
    2. On the Ubuntu console, type the following:
      Code:

mv /srv/samba/share/Contrib* /tmp/.
      tar -xzf /tmp/Contrib* -C /var/www/extensions

Code:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/ContributionScores/ContributionScores.php" );
      $wgContribScoreIgnoreBots = true;          // Exclude Bots from the reporting - Can be omitted.
      $wgContribScoreIgnoreBlockedUsers = true;  // Exclude Blocked Users from the reporting - Can be omitted.
      $wgContribScoresUseRealName = true;        // Use real user names when available - Can be omitted. Only for MediaWiki 1.19 and later.
      $wgContribScoreDisableCache = false;       // Set to true to disable cache for parser function and inclusion of table.
      //Each array defines a report - 7,50 is "past 7 days" and "LIMIT 50" - Can be omitted.
      $wgContribScoreReports = array(
          array(7,50),
          array(30,50),
          array(0,50));

5. CSS classes are used but not defined (this is optional but recommended). Edit /var/www/skins/common/commonElements.css and add the following lines:
      Code:

.contributionscores-wrapper    {  }
      .contributionscores-title      { background-color: #aaaaaa; margin-bottom: 0px; padding-left: .4em; }
      .contributionscores .header    { background-color: #cccccc; border-bottom: 1px solid #999999; font-weight: bold; }
      .contributionscores .odd       { background-color: #eeeeee; }
      .contributionscores .header td { padding-left: .2em; padding-right: .2em; }
      .contributionscores .content   { padding-left: .2em; padding-right: .2em; }

6. Visit the version page to verify that the extension was installed and loaded: http://192.168.107.23/index.php/Special:Version

LDAP Authentication

All of our users are in a Microsoft Active Directory 2003 domain. These steps will allow MediaWiki to authenticate against the AD and auto-create a wiki account in the process of logging in.

References:
    - LDAP Authentication Requirements
    - LDAP Authentication Options
    - How to enable LDAP over SSL with a third-party certification authority

Configure MediaWiki:

1. Download LDAP Authentication from the Extension Distributor and copy to the Ubuntu share. NOTE: The current version is 1.2e and designed for MediaWiki 1.18.x but works in 1.19.0
    2. On the Ubuntu console, type the following:
      Code:

mv /srv/samba/share/LdapAuth* /tmp/.
      tar -xzf /tmp/LdapAuth* -C /var/www/extensions

Code:

require_once( "$IP/extensions/LdapAuthentication/LdapAuthentication.php" );
      $wgAuth = new LdapAuthenticationPlugin();
      $wgLDAPDomainNames = array("mydomain.com");
      $wgLDAPServerNames = array("mydomain.com"=>"work.mydomain.com");
      $wgLDAPUseLocal = false;
      $wgLDAPEncryptionType = array("mydomain.com"=>"ssl","mydomain.com"=>"tls");
      $wgLDAPSearchStrings = array("mydomain.com"=>"work\\USER-NAME");
      $wgLDAPDisableAutoCreate = array("mydomain.com"=>false);
      #LDAPDebug will show debug info
      # 0 (default) = disabled (best for production systems)
      # 1 = Will display non-sensitive info
      # 2 = Will display possibly sensitive info
      # 3 = Will display sensitive system info
      $wgLDAPDebug = 0;

Configure Ubuntu:

1. Connect to the SRV-Wiki server using PuTTY.
    3. Install the LDAP library for PHP by typing install php5-ldap
    4. If your Active Directory domain has a certificate, type the following:
      Code:

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect work.mydomain.com:636 > /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/cert.crt
      quit

5. If your Active Directory domain does not have a certificate, use your web server:
      Code:

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect www.mydomain.com:443 > /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/cert.crt
      quit

6. If you do not have a web server that has an SSL certificate, try google.com:443 instead.
    7. Edit /usr/local/share/cs-certificates/cert.crt
    8. Find the 1st certificate and delete everything above -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    9. Find the bottom of the 1st certificate and delete everything after -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    10. You should have something that looks like this:
      Code:
      -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
      MIIF0DCCBTmgAwIBAgIKFUj0TwAAAABS8DANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADBGMQswCQYD
      VQQGEwJVUzETMBEGA1UEChMKR29vZ2xlIEluYzEiMCAGA1UEAxMZR29vZ2xlIElu
      dGVybmV0IEF1dGhvcml0eTAeFw0xMjA1MDIxMTA2NTdaFw0xMzA1MDIxMTE2NTda
      MGYxCzAJBgNVBAYTAlVTMRMwEQYDVQQIEwpDYWxpZm9ybmlhMRYwFAYDVQQHEw1N
      b3VudGFpbiBWaWV3MRMwEQYDVQQKEwpHb29nbGUgSW5jMRUwEwYDVQQDFAwqLmdv
      b2dsZS5jb20wgZ8wDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADgY0AMIGJAoGBAMGHpxE/UIg9t1Zs
      RcdR3PJ72quccUCxHzBLRrkBjexBL89+L+m9P/XFDDrXozTxoZlga2Hy0qkIdUv7
      vcaE16rl4vHhkOnvPLG683LFFOdRwWMuZeGUMXsqB3/GK7o2Ay3bzCrXmabv952f
      CzDa/vRuB5zBxlAtQl7UPfJfgy6lAgMBAAGjggOjMIIDnzAdBgNVHSUEFjAUBggr
      BgEFBQcDAQYIKwYBBQUHAwIwHQYDVR0OBBYEFDYKKSKamB4E8BXEAscAmzoM/9cS
      MB8GA1UdIwQYMBaAFL/AMOv1QxE+Z7qekfv8atrjaxIkMFsGA1UdHwRUMFIwUKBO
      oEyGSmh0dHA6Ly93d3cuZ3N0YXRpYy5jb20vR29vZ2xlSW50ZXJuZXRBdXRob3Jp
      dHkvR29vZ2xlSW50ZXJuZXRBdXRob3JpdHkuY3JsMGYGCCsGAQUFBwEBBFowWDBW
      BggrBgEFBQcwAoZKaHR0cDovL3d3dy5nc3RhdGljLmNvbS9Hb29nbGVJbnRlcm5l
      dEF1dGhvcml0eS9Hb29nbGVJbnRlcm5ldEF1dGhvcml0eS5jcnQwggJ3BgNVHREE
      ggJuMIICaoIMKi5nb29nbGUuY29tggpnb29nbGUuY29tgg0qLnlvdXR1YmUuY29t
      ggt5b3V0dWJlLmNvbYIWKi55b3V0dWJlLW5vY29va2llLmNvbYIIeW91dHUuYmWC
      CyoueXRpbWcuY29tgg8qLmdvb2dsZS5jb20uYnKCDiouZ29vZ2xlLmNvLmluggsq
      Lmdvb2dsZS5lc4IOKi5nb29nbGUuY28udWuCCyouZ29vZ2xlLmNhggsqLmdvb2ds
      ZS5mcoILKi5nb29nbGUucHSCCyouZ29vZ2xlLml0ggsqLmdvb2dsZS5kZYILKi5n
      b29nbGUuY2yCCyouZ29vZ2xlLnBsggsqLmdvb2dsZS5ubIIPKi5nb29nbGUuY29t
      LmF1gg4qLmdvb2dsZS5jby5qcIILKi5nb29nbGUuaHWCDyouZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS5t
      eIIPKi5nb29nbGUuY29tLmFygg8qLmdvb2dsZS5jb20uY2+CDyouZ29vZ2xlLmNv
      bS52boIPKi5nb29nbGUuY29tLnRygg0qLmFuZHJvaWQuY29tggthbmRyb2lkLmNv
      bYIUKi5nb29nbGVjb21tZXJjZS5jb22CECoudXJsLmdvb2dsZS5jb22CFiouZ29v
      Z2xldGFnbWFuYWdlci5jb22CFGdvb2dsZXRhZ21hbmFnZXIuY29tggwqLnVyY2hp
      bi5jb22CCnVyY2hpbi5jb22CFiouZ29vZ2xlLWFuYWx5dGljcy5jb22CFGdvb2ds
      ZS1hbmFseXRpY3MuY29tghIqLmNsb3VkLmdvb2dsZS5jb22CBmdvby5nbIIEZy5j
      bzANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFAAOBgQCyBzOsXXz5FhOxVcLeplWWss6sgJCvmAlzvhY/
      5YpdFsdKhzEmh13aogii7FGG3i+LH0i7dSlWy+QZ8v23lDbE6SGySQN2fusSThC8
      Wz1i/6D/kpJw90tGInJL/yvW9z60Hw1TUG6/heyYBHe2JhHa6CgqTyowRoaii1rA
      iQBF8w==
      -----END CERTIFICATE-----
    11. Save and close the file
    12. Verify that the certificate is valid by typing openssl x509 -noout -text -in /usr/local/share/cs-certificates/cert.crt
    13. Now update the certificates by typing update-ca-certificates
    14. Edit /etc/ldap/ldap.conf and make sure it contains the following lines:
      Code:

TLS_CACERTDIR   /etc/ssl/certs
      TLS_CACERT      /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

15. Visit the login page and verify that a domain user can login (that does not have a mediawiki account): http://192.168.107.23/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin
    Last edited by LHammonds; June 18th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Scripting

Much of the solutions beyond this point involve scripts (programming snippets / automated commands).

In particular, they are Bash Scripts. I chose this due to its popularity and the fact it comes with Ubuntu. I try to make use of what comes with the system without requiring additional software / services unless they really add to the bottom line such as decreasing the time it takes for a process to run or to conserve storage and bandwidth usage.

When setting up a server and testing things out, there is typically very little concern for procedures / process since much of the activity is exploration and experimentation as well as not having an impact on production. However, once a server goes into production, processes and procedures need to be in place to ensure the availability of the services being provided.

In regards to these scripts, they will be treated like any other program and will require being tested, documented and go through a promotion process.

The ideal situation would involve 3 servers (for a single server setup). A test / development server, a quality assurance staging server and the production server itself. If 3 servers cannot be utilized, then it can still work well with 2 servers. Testing scripts / programs / restore on the production server is not advisable and many times impractical...how can you test your restore process / data periodically if you only have a production server?

The QA Staging server would resemble the production server as much as possible. The server should be setup in such a way that production backups are restored to this server which also tests and validates the backup / restore process as well as maintains a close representation of the production server to mitigate variable risk involved when testing new or modified programs and upgrades.

The test / development server can serve as the QA server if absolutely necessary.

The directory structure and how scripts can import other scripts will be configured to facilitate this process.

Example:

Directory path for scripts to import common variables, functions and server settings: /var/scripts/common/

Directory path for production scripts: /var/scripts/prod/

Directory path for QA staging area scripts: /var/scripts/qa/

Directory path for test / development scripts: /var/scripts/test/

Directory path for data for use by scripts: /var/scripts/data/

With a production and test servers on physically different machines, the "common" scripts folder can be custom-tailored for that environment and allow for minimal changes to a script when running on the test, QA or production server. This is similar to "normalizing" a database. If you have a variable, path or function that is duplicated in multiple scripts, consider pulling it out and placing it in the common folder. If ever you need to change who receives the email reports, you only need to update a single script and all programs will use the new reference from that point on.

Most of my scripts will import a file called "standard.conf" from the common script folder.

/var/scripts/common/standard.conf (contents of the file on the production server)
    Code:
    ## Global Variables ##
    TEMPDIR="/temp"
    LOGDIR="/var/log"
    APPDIR="/var/www"
    SHAREDIR="/srv/samba/share"
    MYDOMAIN="mydomain.com"
    ADMINEMAIL="admin@${MYDOMAIN}"
    REPORTEMAIL="lhammonds@${MYDOMAIN}"
    BACKUPDIR="/backup"
    OFFSITEDIR="/mnt/backup"
    OFFSITETESTFILE="${OFFSITEDIR}/online.txt"
    ARCHIVEMETHOD="tar.7z"    ## Choices are tar.7z or tgz
    HOSTNAME="$(hostname -s)"
    SCRIPTNAME="$0"
    SCRIPTDIR="/var/scripts"
    MAILFILE="${TEMPDIR}/mailfile.$$"

## Global Functions ##

function f_sendmail()
    {
      ## Purpose: Send administrative email message.
      ## Parameter #1 = Subject
      ## Parameter #2 = Body
      sendemail -f "${ADMINEMAIL}" -t "${REPORTEMAIL}" -u "${1}" -m "${2}\n\nServer: ${HOSTNAME}\nProgram: ${SCRIPTNAME}\nLog: ${LOGFILE}" -s srv-mail:25 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    }

function f_sendusermail()
    {
      ## Purpose: Send end-user email message.
      ## Parameter #1 = To
      ## Parameter #2 = Subject
      ## Parameter #3 = Body
      sendemail -f "${ADMINEMAIL}" -t "${1}" -u "${2}" -m "${3}" -s srv-mail:25 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    }

function f_mount()
    {
      ## Mount the pre-configured Windows share folder.
      ## NOTE: The Windows share should have a file called "online.txt"
      mount -t cifs //srv-backup/mediawikishare ${OFFSITEDIR} --options nouser,rw,nofail,noatime,noexec,credentials=/etc/cifspw
    }

function f_umount()
    {
      ## Dismount the Windows share folder.
      ## NOTE: The unmounted folder should have a file called "offline.txt"
      umount ${OFFSITEDIR}
    }

/var/scripts/common/standard.conf (contents of the file on the test server)
    Code:
    ## Global Variables ##
    TEMPDIR="/tmp"
    LOGDIR="/var/log"
    APPDIR="/var/www"
    SHAREDIR="/srv/samba/share"
    MYDOMAIN="mytestdomain.com"
    ADMINEMAIL="test1@${MYDOMAIN}"
    REPORTEMAIL="test2@${MYDOMAIN}"
    BACKUPDIR="/backup"
    OFFSITEDIR="/mnt/fakedir"
    OFFSITETESTFILE="${OFFSITEDIR}/online.txt"
    ARCHIVEMETHOD="tar.7z"    ## Choices are tar.7z or tgz
    HOSTNAME="$(hostname -s)"
    SCRIPTNAME="$0"
    SCRIPTDIR="/var/scripts"
    MAILFILE="${TEMPDIR}/mailfile.$$"

## Global Functions ##

function f_sendmail()
    {
      ## Purpose: Send administrative email message.
      ## Parameter #1 = Subject
      ## Parameter #2 = Body
      sendemail -f "${ADMINEMAIL}" -t "${REPORTEMAIL}" -u "${1}" -m "${2}\n\nServer: ${HOSTNAME}\nProgram: ${SCRIPTNAME}\nLog: ${LOGFILE}" -s srv-mail:25 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    }

function f_sendusermail()
    {
      ## Purpose: Send end-user email message.
      ## Parameter #1 = To
      ## Parameter #2 = Subject
      ## Parameter #3 = Body
      sendemail -f "${ADMINEMAIL}" -t "${1}" -u "${2}" -m "${3}" -s srv-mail:25 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    }

function f_mount()
    {
      ## Mount the pre-configured Windows share folder.
      ## NOTE: The Windows share should have a file called "online.txt"
      mount -t cifs //mypc/share ${OFFSITEDIR} --options nouser,rw,nofail,noatime,noexec,credentials=/etc/cifspw
    }

function f_umount()
    {
      ## Dismount the Windows share folder.
      ## NOTE: The unmounted folder should have a file called "offline.txt"
      umount ${OFFSITEDIR}
    }

When receiving administrative email notifications, the server name, script name and path will be included at the bottom of the email every time. It will be readily apparent if the email was generated from the test, qa or production server simply because of the location (even if test, qa and production are all on the same server).

Here are the scripts to help automate the creation of this structure on the various servers (would run all of them if all are the same box)

setup-script-prod.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ ! -d /var/scripts/prod ]; then
      mkdir -p /var/scripts/prod
    fi
    if [ ! -d /var/scripts/common ]; then
      mkdir -p /var/scripts/common
    fi
    if [ ! -d /var/scripts/data ]; then
      mkdir -p /var/scripts/data
    fi
    chown root:root -R /var/scripts
    chmod 0755 -R /var/scripts
    setup-script-qa.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ ! -d /var/scripts/qa ]; then
      mkdir -p /var/scripts/qa
    fi
    fi
    fi
    chmod 0777 -R /var/scripts
    setup-script-test.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ ! -d /var/scripts/test ]; then
      mkdir -p /var/scripts/test
    fi
    fi
    fi
    chmod 0777 -R /var/scripts
    Last edited by LHammonds; June 1st, 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Toggle Mount

Sometimes it is helpful to toggle the mount on or off so here is a script you might find helpful.

/var/scripts/prod/togglemount.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #############################################
    ## Name          : togglemount.sh
    ## Version       : 1.0
    ## Date          : 2012-05-11
    ## Author        : LHammonds
    ## Compatibility : Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS
    ## Purpose       : Toggle the mount status of a pre-configured backup mount.
    ## Run Frequency : Manual as needed.
    ## Exit Codes    :
    ##   0 = success
    ##   1 = failure
    ################ CHANGE LOG #################
    ## DATE       WHO WHAT WAS CHANGED
    ## ---------- --- ----------------------------
    ## 2012-05-11 LTH Created script.

## Import common variables and functions. ##
    source /var/scripts/common/standard.conf
    ERRORFLAG=0

if [ -f ${OFFSITEDIR}/offline.txt ]; then
      echo "Windows share is not mounted.  Mounting share now..."
      f_mount
      sleep 2
      if [ -f ${OFFSITEDIR}/online.txt ]; then
        echo "Mount successful.  Listing contents:"
      else
        echo "Mount failed.  Listing contents:"
        ERRORFLAG=1
      fi
    else
      echo "Windows share is mounted.  Dismounting share now..."
      f_umount
      sleep 2
      if [ -f ${OFFSITEDIR}/offline.txt ]; then
        echo "Dismount successful.  Listing contents:"
      else
        echo "Dismount failed.  Listing contents:"
        ERRORFLAG=1
      fi
    fi
    ls -l ${OFFSITEDIR}
    exit ${ERRORFLAG}

MySQL Backup

My database server exports all databases and archives them on a normal schedule so any database I add to it such as the mediawiki database will get included automatically.

However, I created another script designed to run every minute looking for key files. If a specific file shows up on the samba share, it will trigger an immediate backup of the specified database. This will be helpful when scheduling the backup of the MediaWiki web files. When the web backup script run, it will place the database-specific file on the remote database server's samba share which will trigger the database backup to run immediately. The web backup script can trigger the remote database backup anytime it runs no matter if it is schedule via crontab or manually run.

Here is the script that runs every minute on the database server:

/var/scripts/prod/mysql-db-backup.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ## Name          : mysql-db-backup.sh
    ## Version       : 1.0
    ## Date          : 2012-05-14
    ## Author        : LHammonds
    ## Purpose       : Backup of a single database
    ## Compatibility : Verified on Ubuntu Server 10.04.3 LTS, MySQL 5.1.62
    ## Requirements  : p7zip-full (if ARCHIVEMETHOD=tar.7z), sendemail
    ## Run Frequency : As needed
    ## Exit Codes    : (if multiple errors, value is the addition of codes)
    ##    0 = success
    ##    1 = 7zip not installed
    ##    2 = archive failure
    ##    4 = archive purge failure
    ##    8 = configuration error
    ##   16 = mount warning
    ################ CHANGE LOG #################
    ## DATE       WHO WHAT WAS CHANGED
    ## ---------- --- ----------------------------
    ## 2012-05-14 LTH Created script.

## Import common variables and functions. ##
    source /var/scripts/common/standard.conf

LOGFILE="${TEMPDIR}/mysql-db-backup.log"
    LOCKFILE="${TEMPDIR}/mysql-db-backup.lock"
    TARGETDIR="${BACKUPDIR}/mysql-db"
    OFFSITEBACKDIR="${OFFSITEDIR}/mysql-db"
    ERRORFLAG=0

#######################################
    ##            FUNCTIONS              ##
    function f_PurgeOldestArchive()
    {
      ## Purpose: Delete the oldest archive on the remote site.
      ## Return values:
      ##    0 = Success
      ##    1 = Cannot delete file
      ##    9 = Configuration error, path empty

## Variable Error Check. *
      if [ ${OFFSITEBACKDIR} = "" ]; then
        ## Make darn sure the path is not empty since we do NOT
        ## want to start purging files from a random location.
        echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- Purge error: OFFSITEBACKDIR site variable is empty!" >> ${LOGFILE}
        return 9
      fi
      ## Get the name of the oldest file.
      OLDESTFILE=`ls -1t ${OFFSITEBACKDIR} | tail -1`
      if [ "${OLDESTFILE}" = "" ]; then
        ## Error. Filename variable empty.
        echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- Purge error: OLDESTFILE variable is empty." >> ${LOGFILE}
        return 9
      else   
        FILESIZE=`ls -lak "${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${OLDESTFILE}" | awk '{ print $5 }' | sed -e :a -e 's/\(.*[0-9]\)\([0-9]\{3\}\)/\1,\2/;ta'`
        echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- Purging old file: ${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${OLDESTFILE}, Size = ${FILESIZE} kb" >> ${LOGFILE}
        rm "${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${OLDESTFILE}"
        if [ -f "${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${OLDESTFILE}" ]; then
          ## File still exists.  Return error.
          return 1
        else
          return 0
        fi
      fi
    }

function f_cleanup()
    {
      if [ -f ${LOCKFILE} ];then
        ## Remove lock file so other rsync jobs can run.
        rm ${LOCKFILE} 1>/dev/null 2>&1
      fi
      if [[ "${TARGETDIR}" != "" && "{TARGETDIR}" != "/" ]]; then
        ## Remove local backup files.
        rm -rf ${TARGETDIR}/*
      fi
      ## Email the result to the administrator.
      if [ ${ERRORFLAG} -eq 0 ]; then
        f_sendmail "MySQL DB Backup Success" "MySQL backup completed with no errors."
      else
        f_sendmail "MySQL DB Backup ERROR" "MySQL backup failed.  ERRORFLAG = ${ERRORFLAG}"
      fi
    }

function f_emergencyexit()
    {
      ## Purpose: Exit script as cleanly as possible.
      ## Parameter #1 = Error Code
      f_cleanup
      echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` - MySQL backup exit code: ${ERRORFLAG}" >> ${LOGFILE}
      exit $1
    }

##           MAIN PROGRAM            ##

## Binaries ##
    TAR="$(which tar)"
    MY7ZIP="$(which 7za)"
    MYSQL="$(which mysql)"
    MYSQLDUMP="$(which mysqldump)"

if [ -f ${LOCKFILE} ]; then
      ## Program lock file detected.  Abort script.
      f_sendmail "MySQL DB Backup Aborted - Lock File" "This script tried to run but detected the lock file: ${LOCKFILE}\n\nPlease check to make sure the file does not remain when this script is not actually running."
      exit 1
    else
      ## Create the lock file to ensure only one script is running at a time.
      echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` ${SCRIPTNAME}" > ${LOCKFILE}
    fi

## Figure out which database will be backed up. Only one per run.
    if [ -f "${SHAREDIR}/mediawiki" ]; then
      DATABASE="mediawiki"
      rm "${SHAREDIR}/mediawiki"
    elif [ -f "${SHAREDIR}/phpbb" ]; then
      DATABASE="phpbb"
      rm "${SHAREDIR}/phpbb"
    elif [ -f "${SHAREDIR}/wordpress" ]; then
      DATABASE="wordpress"
      rm "${SHAREDIR}/wordpress"
    fi
    if [[ "${DATABASE}" = "" ]]; then
      f_cleanup 0
      exit 0
    fi

ARCHIVEFILE="`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M`_mysql-db-${DATABASE}.${ARCHIVEMETHOD}"

echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` - MySQL ${DATABASE} backup started." >> ${LOGFILE}

## If the 7-Zip archive method is specified, make sure the package is installed.
    if [ "${ARCHIVEMETHOD}" = "tar.7z" ]; then
      if [ ! -f "/usr/bin/7za" ]; then
        ## Required package (7-Zip) not installed.
        echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` - CRITICAL ERROR: 7-Zip package not installed.  Please install by typing 'aptitude -y install p7zip-full'" >> ${LOGFILE}
        ERRORFLAG=1
        f_emergencyexit ${ERRORFLAG}
      fi
    fi

StartTime="$(date +%s)"

## Backup individual database.
    ${MYSQLDUMP} ${DATABASE} > ${TARGETDIR}/${DATABASE}.sql
    ## Create database sub-folder.
    mkdir -p ${TARGETDIR}/${DATABASE}
    ## Export each table in the database individually.
    for TABLE in `echo "show tables" | $MYSQL ${DATABASE}|grep -v Tables_in_`;
    do
      FILE=${TARGETDIR}/${DATABASE}/${TABLE}.sql
      case "${TABLE}" in
        general_log)
          ${MYSQLDUMP} ${DATABASE} ${TABLE} --skip-lock-tables > ${FILE}
          ;;
        slow_log)
          ${MYSQLDUMP} ${DATABASE} ${TABLE} --skip-lock-tables > ${FILE}
          ;;
        *)
          ${MYSQLDUMP} ${DATABASE} ${TABLE} > ${FILE}
          ;;
      esac
    done

## Compress the backup into a single file based on archive method specified.
    echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- Compressing archive: ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE}" >> ${LOGFILE}
    case "${ARCHIVEMETHOD}" in
    tar.7z)
      ${TAR} -cpf - ${TARGETDIR} | ${MY7ZIP} a -si -mx=9 -w${TEMPDIR} ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} 1>/dev/null 2>&1
      RETURNVALUE=$?
      ## Restore using one of the following commands (do not uncomment, only for notation):
      ## 7za x -so -w/tmp ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} | tar -C / -xf -
      ## 7za x -so -w/tmp ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} | tar -C ${TEMPDIR}/restore --strip-components=1 -xf -
      ;;
    tgz)
      ${TAR} -cpzf ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} ${TARGETDIR} 1>/dev/null 2>&1
      RETURNVALUE=$?
      ## Restore using one of the following commands (do not uncomment, only for notation):
      ## tar -C / -xzf ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE}
      ## tar -C ${TEMPDIR}/restore --strip-components=1 -xzf ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE}
      ;;
    *)
      ${TAR} -cpzf ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} ${TARGETDIR} 1>/dev/null 2>&1
      RETURNVALUE=$?
      ;;
    esac

if [ ${RETURNVALUE} -ne 0 ]; then
      ## tar command failed.  Send warning email.
      f_sendmail "MySQL Backup Failure - tar" "tar failed with return value of ${RETURNVALUE}"
      ERRORFLAG=$((${ERRORFLAG} + 2))
    fi

## Mount the remote folder. ##
    f_mount

if [ ! -f ${OFFSITETESTFILE} ]; then
      ## Could not find expected file on remote site.  Assuming failed mount.
      ERRORFLAG=$((${ERRORFLAG} + 16))
      echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- ERROR: Cannot detect remote location: ${OFFSITETESTFILE}" >> ${LOGFILE}
    fi

FREESPACE=`df -k ${OFFSITEDIR} | grep ${OFFSITEDIR} | awk '{ print $3 }'`
    BACKUPSIZE=`ls -lak "${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE}" | awk '{ print $5 }'`

## Make sure space is available on the remote server to copy the file.
    if [ ${FREESPACE} -lt ${BACKUPSIZE} ]; then
      ## Not enough free space available.  Purge existing backups until there is room.
      ENOUGHSPACE=0
      while [ ${ENOUGHSPACE} -eq 0 ]
      do
        f_PurgeOldestArchive
        RETURNVALUE=$?
        case ${RETURNVALUE} in
        1)
          ## Cannot purge archives to free up space.  End program gracefully.
          echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` - ERROR: Not enough free space on ${OFFSITEBACKDIR} and cannot purge old archives.  Script aborted." >> ${LOGFILE}
          ## Stop and exit the script with an error code.
          ERRORFLAG=$((${ERRORFLAG} + 4))
          ;;
        9)
          ## Configuration error, end program gracefully.
          echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` - ERROR: Configuration problem. Script aborted." >> ${LOGFILE}
          ## Stop and exit the script with an error code.
          ERRORFLAG=$((${ERRORFLAG} + 8))
          ;;
        esac
        FREESPACE=`df -k ${OFFSITEDIR} | grep ${OFFSITEDIR} | awk '{ print $3 }'`
        if [ ${FREESPACE} -gt ${BACKUPSIZE} ]; then
          ## Enough space is now available.
          ENOUGHSPACE=1
        else
          ## Not enough space is available yet.
          ENOUGHSPACE=0
        fi
      done
    fi

## Copy the backup to an offsite storage location.
    echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- Copying archive file to offsite location." >> ${LOGFILE}
    cp ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} ${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} 1>/dev/null 2>&1
    if [ ! -f ${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} ]; then
      ## NON-FATAL ERROR: Copy command did not work.  Send email notification.
      echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- WARNING: Remote copy failed. ${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} does not exist!" >> ${LOGFILE}
      f_sendmail "MySQL Backup Failure - Remote Copy" "Remote copy failed. ${OFFSITEBACKDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE} does not exist\n\nBackup file still remains in this location: ${HOSTNAME}:${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE}"
    else
      ## Remove local copy of the compressed backup file
      rm ${TEMPDIR}/${ARCHIVEFILE}
    fi

## Unmount the Windows shared folder.
    f_umount

## Calculate total time for backup.
    FinishTime="$(date +%s)"
    ElapsedTime="$(expr ${FinishTime} - ${StartTime})"
    Hours=$((${ElapsedTime} / 3600))
    ElapsedTime=$((${ElapsedTime} - ${Hours} * 3600))
    Minutes=$((${ElapsedTime} / 60))
    Seconds=$((${ElapsedTime} - ${Minutes} * 60))

echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` --- Total backup time: ${Hours} hour(s) ${Minutes} minute(s) ${Seconds} second(s)" >> ${LOGFILE}

echo "`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S` - MySQL ${DATABASE} backup completed." >> ${LOGFILE}

## Perform cleanup routine.
    f_cleanup
    ## Exit with the combined return code value.
    exit ${ERRORFLAG}
    Here is a sample of the log file:

/temp/mysql-db-backup.log
    Code:
    2012-05-14_13:10:13 - MySQL backup exit code: 0
    2012-05-14_13:10:33 - MySQL mediawiki backup started.
    2012-05-14_13:10:34 --- Compressing archive: /var/temp/2012-05-14-13-10_mysql-db-mediawiki.tar.7z
    2012-05-14_13:10:35 --- Copying archive file to offsite location.
    2012-05-14_13:10:35 --- WARNING: Remote copy failed. /mnt/backup/mysql-db/2012-05-14-13-10_mysql-db-mediawiki.tar.7z does not exist!
    2012-05-14_13:10:35 --- Total backup time: 0 hour(s) 0 minute(s) 2 second(s)
    2012-05-14_13:10:35 - MySQL mediawiki backup completed.
    2012-05-14_13:10:35 - MySQL backup exit code: 0
    2012-05-14_13:12:37 - MySQL backup exit code: 0
    2012-05-14_13:14:50 - MySQL mediawiki backup started.
    2012-05-14_13:14:51 --- Compressing archive: /var/temp/2012-05-14-13-14_mysql-db-mediawiki.tar.7z
    2012-05-14_13:14:55 --- Copying archive file to offsite location.
    2012-05-14_13:14:56 --- Total backup time: 0 hour(s) 0 minute(s) 6 second(s)
    2012-05-14_13:14:56 - MySQL mediawiki backup completed.
    2012-05-14_13:15:13 - MySQL backup exit code: 0
    2012-05-14_13:16:38 - MySQL mediawiki backup started.
    2012-05-14_13:16:39 --- Compressing archive: /var/temp/2012-05-14-13-16_mysql-db-mediawiki.tar.7z
    2012-05-14_13:16:40 --- Copying archive file to offsite location.
    2012-05-14_13:16:41 --- Total backup time: 0 hour(s) 0 minute(s) 3 second(s)
    2012-05-14_13:16:41 - MySQL mediawiki backup completed.
    2012-05-14_13:16:47 - MySQL phpbb backup started.
    2012-05-14_13:16:49 --- Compressing archive: /var/temp/2012-05-14-13-16_mysql-db-phpbb.tar.7z
    2012-05-14_13:16:55 --- Copying archive file to offsite location.
    2012-05-14_13:16:56 --- Total backup time: 0 hour(s) 0 minute(s) 9 second(s)
    2012-05-14_13:16:56 - MySQL phpbb backup completed.
    2012-05-14_13:16:59 - MySQL wordpress backup started.
    2012-05-14_13:16:59 --- Compressing archive: /var/temp/2012-05-14-13-16_mysql-db-wordpress.tar.7z
    2012-05-14_13:17:05 --- Copying archive file to offsite location.
    2012-05-14_13:17:06 --- Total backup time: 0 hour(s) 0 minute(s) 7 second(s)
    2012-05-14_13:17:06 - MySQL wordpress backup completed.
    Last edited by LHammonds; May 15th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast