Thread: ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

Hybrid View

Beans

Angry ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

Hi,

I am using an intel DG31PR motherboard that has realtek audio. Ever since I have installed Ubuntu 12, the audio is not working right. I hear the sound (from the speaker) but its mostly absent. Basically there is a lot of stuttering/choppiness. If I use a headphone, it works fine.

I have my alsa diagnostic tool output up at: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ba...8a9446c277a2a3

I have tried all I could but nothings working for me. I must mention that before this I was using xubuntu 11 which worked just fine (I never updated it because I found that one of the updates to xubuntu 11 caused the same problem that I am facing now).

Any help would be appreciated. I would be forced to look back at other options if this does not get solved soon.

Thanks!

Aditya

Beans

Re: ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

Since no one replied I started snooping around myself. Till now what I have found is that the alsa output thinks that I have a Realtek ALC662 but in reality what Intel DG31PR comes with is ALC888. So that might be a problem, I am guessing.

Right now I do not have access to my system but soon I will and will try and see a fix for that. Will update it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey mate!

Since your headphones are working fine I would guess it is rather a problem with the way the sound is going to your speakers, obviously.. I am probably stating the obvious, but have you played around with different mixers (e.g. gnome alsa mixer, alsamixer in terminal [command: # alsamixer] etc) to see if that sorts things out?

Beans

ah, we have a reply at last.

Yes, I did some tweakings with alsamixer (only alsamixer, nothing else) and did not help.

The sound from the speaker is MOSTLY absent and when I hear some, for those microseconds that its there, its choppy.

Any help or thoughts appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Moved to the multimedia forum.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you looked in the software centre for a different sound system to try? or uninstall what you currently have and reinstall it??

Beans

Wink Re: ubuntu 12.04 sound problem

Solved!

Here's what I did:

added this line at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=generic

That was all. I think I had tried it earlier too but somehow it was not working. Maybe I had tried too much.

But I think the problem was indeed that it was trying to use the ALC888 as ALC662 and that was not happening.

Thanks for the responses. Now I can stick to Ubuntu and try to get friendly with Unity