Thread: Laptop cuts out randomly... Not overheating?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Laptop cuts out randomly... Not overheating?

Hi there,

We have a Acer Aspire 7720 laptop, it's getting on for four years now. I was just wondering if anyone here has a good idea to why it randomly cuts out?

I've cleaned it completely of dust, the fan seems to be blowing out nice cool air too. Done a ram check and they are fine. Swapped out the hard drive, changed from Windows Vista, to Windows 7 to Ubuntu but it still cuts out!

I tried seeing if it's the battery but even when running on AC power it still happens as well.

Absolutely clueless, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Laptop cuts out randomly... Not overheating?

It sounds to me as if you do have an overheating problem. I just went through one myself with my laptop - of course it occured right in the middle of taxes! Oh well.

If I am correct, the problem is that the thermal grease between the cpu and the heat sink is old and is no longer doing its job. In my case the remains of the old thermal grease were removed, cleaned and replaced with new. No more problem. If you know what you are doing it is probably something you can do yourself since any computer parts store should have the grease. If you DON'T know what you are doing you can/will turn your computer into an expensive door stop, so if you have ANY doubts (or think that is not the problem) take it to a professional to repair. It shouldn't be an expensive repair - it will probably just be a minimum time charge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to General Help, as this is a support question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by agillator View Post
    It sounds to me as if you do have an overheating problem. I just went through one myself with my laptop - of course it occured right in the middle of taxes! Oh well.

If I am correct, the problem is that the thermal grease between the cpu and the heat sink is old and is no longer doing its job. In my case the remains of the old thermal grease were removed, cleaned and replaced with new. No more problem. If you know what you are doing it is probably something you can do yourself since any computer parts store should have the grease. If you DON'T know what you are doing you can/will turn your computer into an expensive door stop, so if you have ANY doubts (or think that is not the problem) take it to a professional to repair. It shouldn't be an expensive repair - it will probably just be a minimum time charge.
    I replaced it already along with the rest of my devices. Still no difference. It seems to occur more when there is heavy processing required such as when editing fairly high resolution images. =\

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In that case the best advice I can give is to take it to a professional repairman. If you haven't had this problem before then there is certainly something that needs checking. I don't think the version of Ubuntu or any other software is causing the problem. Of course I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but that is what I would do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

It isn't Ubuntu related, definitely hardware. Nor any other Operating System. That's why I didn't originally post it in the General Help forum since I thought it had to be Ubuntu related to be posted here. =P

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It appears that the issue is with your laptop power supply. I came across such a situation with desktop. Replacing power supply did miracle. So, it is better to consult any technician.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post
    Hi there,

We have a Acer Aspire 7720 laptop, it's getting on for four years now. I was just wondering if anyone here has a good idea to why it randomly cuts out?

I've cleaned it completely of dust, the fan seems to be blowing out nice cool air too. Done a ram check and they are fine. Swapped out the hard drive, changed from Windows Vista, to Windows 7 to Ubuntu but it still cuts out!

I tried seeing if it's the battery but even when running on AC power it still happens as well.

Absolutely clueless, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Before trying agillator's remedy (dismantling laptops is a very fiddly job) it is worth taking out the memory and reseating it as well as the HD connectors.

Sometimes just disconnecting battery and removing power supply solves problems as that removes any residue electrical charge.

If you can somehow direct a cool air fan onto the keyboard this might confirm agillator's suspicions as to overheating if it then lasts longer. Just to clarify the fans draw heat OUT so no good directing an external fan to the computer's fan.

Geffers