Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older computer

Beans

Older computer

Hello,

I am using a OLD Dell Optiplex gx280

512 Megs of Ram

40 Gig hardrive

I am wondering whats best to instal on it?

Xubuntu? Or Lubuntu?

This is a single Core pc..

Thanks,
    Christopher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Older computer

as I understand it either just remember the older the processor and lower ram the lighter the install the better off you will be and you can still install and attempt to run what ever it will allow ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Give you a sample of what I've just done...

AMD CPU 1.2 GHz
    1.0 GB Ram 133 MHz
    Older nVidia TNT video card
    40 GB Hard Drive

I install fine and seems to operate fine at this point. I will admit I've not hooked up to the Internet as of yet but will by tomorrow. If I can find this thread again I'll post up my results if that might help ya.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would go Lubuntu as it is lightest. Actually, I would go for a minimal install, use Lxde as the desktop environment and only plopped the apps I needed on, but that is me.

Best bet; download and burn both, try them from the CD (choose 'Try *ubuntu' when you get to that screen), see which you like and which runs best and go with that. There are lighter again if neither is much good. Double the RAM you would have no problem ... (Mopar1973man has twice the RAM you do so their results don't really relate to the ones you might achieve).

One point which may or may not be relevant to you: Xubuntu 12.04 LTS is a long term support release with support for three years (before anyone rants, it is three for Xubuntu, not five, check it out), while Lubuntu 12.04 seems to be a regular release with support for half that time, eighteen months.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 13th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jadtech View Post
    as I understand it either just remember the older the processor and lower ram the lighter the install the better off you will be and you can still install and attempt to run what ever it will allow ...

The sticker on the front says its a P4
    desiged for XP

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have a P4 3GHz with 1Gb RAM. Works fine. But says nothing about your machine. Try from the CDs. Your P4 is no problem; the lack of RAM is your issue. Possibly other things but won't know until you boot from a LiveCD and find out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    I have a P4 3GHz with 1Gb RAM. Works fine. But says nothing about your machine. Try from the CDs. Your P4 is no problem; the lack of RAM is your issue. Possibly other things but won't know until you boot from a LiveCD and find out.

So would you go with LU ?

So why doesnt it have a 3 year support? (( Lubuntu ))

I would have to be constantly updating my Kernel?

Thanks,
    Christopher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    (Mopar1973man has twice the RAM you do so their results don't really relate to the ones you might achieve).
    Opps... My bad...

Well then getting older, slow and less RAM... I've got a Sony Vaio Laptop running on Xubntu 12.04. The laptop is only 800 MHz AMD, with 192 MB ram and 10 GB hard drive... Slow but it working...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@CWM84:

- So would you go with LU ?
    I use Xfce wholly and solely on my machines.

- So why doesnt it have a 3 year support? (( Lubuntu ))
    You would need to investigate that; perhaps email Lubuntu devs.

- I would have to be constantly updating my Kernel?
    If you want to go for every Ubuntu release you would be upgrading not just the kernel but the entire system every 6 months. Or you could stick with one release for the full eighteen month support life. Or you could install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and use the same release for five years (and new kernels will be released and installed as part of your regular update through update manager).

Kernel upgrades come as part of normal updates on your release through update manager (or you can use another kernel by installing the PPA manually). A new release, on the other hand, comes every six months and it is entirely up to you whether you go that route or stick with the LTS releases or use both; one stable, one tweak and learn.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 13th, 2012 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

Ah, I remember when a GX280 was my main work machine. Ran Mepis with KDE3 and compiz on it, back when. You wouldn't want to run KDE on it now!

I'd say Lubuntu will probably run better out of the box, but if you install Xubuntu and disable some of the services you don't use it'll probably run just as well.

It really comes down to which desktop environment you like better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast