Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu for me?

Beans

Re: Is Ubuntu for me?

Yup... Startac, I definitely see things the way you do. In my opinion, you've touched upon the elephant in the room in regards to Linux. I just recently decided to switch over to Linux for real... and it was because I just souped up my computer with all the latest and greatest equipment and lo and behold, Ubuntu was actually delivering acceptable performance when it had never before.

Computer hobbyists who design and who use Linux tend to be those who have top of the line desktop equipment and they want to have all the bells and whistles.

After using Ubuntu for a couple weeks straight I'm still seeing that there are problems with scaling up. For example, Nautilus does not like folders with hundreds of files in them, whereas with Microsoft operating systems scaling up has never been a problem.

Beans

Wow! I want to thank you all for your replies. I'm sorry I'm so late- I lost track of how to find my thread. I'm impressed with all the fast replies.

Curious00: you mentioned folders with many files causes problem for you. I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit. My digital camera dump folders have thousands of files (pictures), which Tiger deals with easily. Under Ubuntu I might expect problems?

I think my main problem is pure ignorance. I am so accustomed to what to expect from commercial OSes that I guess I'm still weary about what to expect from open software.
    If IBM pushed it for years (those great TV ads) and enterprise servers use it, and this community exists, then it has to be good. I understand and can manage OS X memory leaks, monitor system/application performance, and tell when a background process is hogging the cores. Is there a utility program like Activity Monitor available?

Clearly I should take the advice of trying different distros on a better computer via the LiveCD method. I feel like a deer in the headlights. I'm so glad that there is an alternative to Windows and OSX.

Beans

I think the crux of the issue, Startac, is that Linux evolved later, in an era when it had become evident that personal computers needed to be built as a thing for everyone to have in their home. Microsoft started out in the days when they had to cater to the needs of businesses. Scaling up is fundamentally important when it comes to office work, but it's not as important for work in the living room.

In regards to the folders with many files in them... the best advice I have is that you ought to try it out and see how you like the performance. For example, you could open a folder off an external drive which has all your photos stored in it and see what you think.

I discovered this performance problem while doing some data recovery. A program I used created 670 folders full of 500 files each... and Nautilus really crawled when I was changing in and out of those folders. Interestingly enough, there's a little red x that shows up in the bottom right hand corner of the Nautilus window so you can stop it processing, if you're getting impatient. It'll then show you the file data which has been processed thus far.

I see you were comparing Ubuntu to XP. Honestly, XP remains my favorite operating system, overall.. and I don't think any Linux distro out there rivals XP when it comes to both performance and the sheer amount of software (both free and paid) which is available for it. I'm typing this to you right now from an Ubuntu installation of a netbook on which I've also installed XP... and the more time I spend with Ubuntu on this hardware, the more grateful I become that I can use XP for most of my work on the machine.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has for many years, been making noises about wanting to sunset XP, and there is simply nothing new out there which is comparable to it in the Apple, Microsoft, or Linux worlds. This is one of the reasons I'm immersing myself in Linux. When given the options of Windows 7 (or eight) and Ubuntu Linux - to my mind Ubuntu wins out hands down - if only because of its customizability, and because of all the cool tools it has available for "power users."

I know Linux will keep evolving and getting better over time, too
    Last edited by Curious00; May 14th, 2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: grammar

Beans

Thank you, Curious00. In my thoughts I am comparing it to Tiger and what I might sacrifice or have to relearn. Under Ubuntu, the Vaio will not shut down and all those little unknowns feel like a kernel panic when I don't really know what to do or expect.

I think what is also bothering me are the bits of info that I want to know but haven't yet found, like: does Ubuntu use a journaling system like Mac HFS or SGI XFS does it properly recognize and utilize RAM, cores, GPUs, etc- all natively or with customization? My list goes on and slowly I am finding some of my answers.

XP is the only version of Windows that I like. I have not used 7 but I agree, the sheer amount of software for XP makes it a default OS for much of the world. One of my favorite OSes is Mac System 7 or OS 7.6.1 as it was called in the end. With the exception of unexplained freezes usually with printer I/O, it was quite fun.

You're right, Linux will continue to evolve and get better. I'll test out Ubuntu and Kubuntu on some newer hardware and Xubuntu on the Vaio.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi startac and welcome to the forums. If you have a laptop or desktop at this time you can dual boot more than one OS. If you but a new laptop likely you will be paying for Win7 so you can set it up to dual boot and run your test and see what's for you. GL
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Like myself I've also got Windows Vista on this computer. I will admit Win XP was the best windows OS out period.

After looking at Win 7 and Win 8 I wasn't happy at all what they done to Windows and I was looking for exit out and started on CentOS and then switched over to Ubuntu.

Beans

Wink Re: Is Ubuntu for me?

Quote Originally Posted by startac
    does Ubuntu use a journaling system like Mac HFS or SGI XFS
    Ext3 and Ext4 file systems are both journaled. Ext2 is not.

does it properly recognize and utilize RAM, cores, GPUs, etc- all natively or with customization?

Ubuntu should automatically recognize and utilize all of your RAM, and all of your processor cores.

You can open /proc/cpuinfo with a text editor to see a list of all the CPU cores that Ubuntu recognizes, and statistics about them (The first is number 0, the second is number 1, and so forth). You can type "free" at the terminal command prompt to see how much memory the system is recognizing.

Does that laptop of yours have more than one video GPU? I haven't used a computer with more than one, so I couldn't answer your question from experience. However, my experience with Ubuntu tells me that you ought to be covered, here. The default video drivers ought to be pretty good. You can get an even better boost of performance if you've installed a special video card made by ATI or Nvidia, by going to the "System Settings" and seeing whether there are any "additional drivers" recommended for you.

Is there a utility program like Activity Monitor available?
    It's called "System Monitor" and can be found with the dash, or you can type at the terminal prompt: gnome-system-monitor
    Last edited by Curious00; May 14th, 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Adding needed information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been an Ubuntu user since 7.04 and I can tell you that 12.04 is for everybody! (except gamers for obvious reasons).

It is simple, slick, and if your hardware has decent/good linux drivers, that you will love the simplicity of 12.04.

Sure there are some minor "cosmetic" bugs to iron out, but it will not stop you or anyone from using it.

As someone already suggested, you should buy a pre-built ubuntu laptop from system76. Their service is great.

If IBM does indeed make laptops that are linux compatible, then I would buy that and install 12.04 on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For the old laptop, I would run lubuntu 12.04. That team has really produced an awesome release.

For the newer system, ubuntu's Unity should not have any effect on the system's speed. I am running it on a quad core machine and it is equally fast as Windows 7 Pro, which I am dual booting it with.

Dell has some really good deals, but in all honesty, you are going to be better off finding a brand name with the hardware you want and a free copy of Windows in case the need arises to have it in the future.
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans

First of all, mac does NOT stink. Anyway, what i recommend is Xubuntu, as it is very fast, extremely customisable, preserves battery life, and of course its FREEEEE! if you get a relatively old version (think 10.04 LTS) it will run even faster. The reason im encouraging the LTS is because the version is already quite old so an LTS will last longer than for instance 10.10 which is not an LTS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast