Hi, trying to install new drivers for my wireless card on ubuntu 12.04. Additional drivers, in all its forms, are crashing on me.

The first time I ran additional drivers, the "searching for additional drivers" popup appeared, and took a long time. I finally left and came back in 30 minutes, and it was gone, with no listing of drivers. When clicking on the launch icon, it didn't work.

A bit of googling to learn the comman, jockey-gtk, and the command line version, jockey-text. I ran both, which give a similar error message. The error for
Additional drivers showed its "searching for drivers" .

The error for jockey-gtk is:\
$ sudo jockey-gtk

(jockey-gtk:2671): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_set_render_icon_pixbuf: assertion `icon_set != NULL' failed

(jockey-gtk:2671): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_set_render_icon_pixbuf: assertion `icon_set != NULL' failed
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.73:/DeviceDriver: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 418, in <module>
sys.exit(u.run())
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 468, in run
self.ui_show_main()
File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 94, in ui_show_main
self.update_tree_model()
File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 274, in update_tree_model
for h_id in self.get_displayed_handlers():
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 819, in get_displayed_handlers
return self.backend().available(self.argv_options.mode)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 130, in backend
self._check_repositories()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 842, in _check_repositories
if self._dbus_iface.has_repositories():
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Any idea why this would happen? I've found postings on ask ubuntu that looks like the same error: Ask ubuntu post , but there are no answers .

Other, probably unrelated, things:

• the wireless card I'm trying to update is WN311B. When enabling wireless, the computer slows until it freezes. I have wireless disabled via the drop-down menu as I'm running these programs.
  • Running from Z-shell.
  • I had 11.10, and upgraded. I don't recall if I ever ran additional drivers in 11.10, and if this is an inherited issue.
  • I'm running on a desktop (i.e. not a laptop)

Thanks for any help.