Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow transfer between ubuntu 12.04 and network hdd

Beans

Slow transfer between ubuntu 12.04 and network hdd

Hey guys

When I transfer a file from my ubuntu machine to my network hard drive it is extremely slow, like 100 kb/s.

My machine has ubuntu 12.04, and has a wired connection to my router. My extern hard drive is connected to my WD TV LIVE which also is wired connected to my router.

The funny thing is that, if I switch to Windows, the speed is just fine. And when I used ubuntu 10.04 there were no problems with the speed.

I have install samba, and even if I mount the network hard drive or just use network explore in nautilus it is the same slow speed.

Can anyone help me?

Beans

Re: Slow transfer between ubuntu 12.04 and network hdd

Yep, they appear to have broken something.
    I have 2 other pcs at home with 10.?? and 11.04 installed and all mount a vfat NAS drive. I add a line into /etc/fstab using smbfs. Reasonable response fro the server with the older systems.

Installed 12.04 on 4 year old Dell Vostro.
    12.04 is very slow talking to the NAS samba server. Even the file manager is slow in just showing me the files in a directory. The server hosts all my Thunderbird email folder so that any machine can get to them and this takes about 30 seconds to just open and then is very slow retrieving files. I tried changing the fstab driver to cifs but its the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ashgla View Post
    Yep, they appear to have broken something.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Slow transfer between ubuntu 12.04 and network hdd

So am I !!

My 12.04 Ubuntu Server has really slow data transfert.

The network interface works great up to 1.6 MB from the net.

But the network share (with samba and nfs) doesn't provide a better transfert rate than 30 kb/s from server to client.

But I can send a file from client to server at 11 Mb/s (from Samba) ....

I'm about to install a fresh debian to check if the problem also exists....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sebboon View Post
    So am I !!

My 12.04 Ubuntu Server has really slow data transfert.

The network interface works great up to 1.6 MB from the net.

But the network share (with samba and nfs) doesn't provide a better transfert rate than 30 kb/s from server to client.

But I can send a file from client to server at 11 Mb/s (from Samba) ....

I'm about to install a fresh debian to check if the problem also exists....
    pls give an update of how it went

Beans

I've just installed Debian 6.05

Same issue with Samba :
    server to client = 50 kb/s
    client to server = 10 000 kb/s

(I don't try nfs share yet ... )

#WTF ?

Beans

Follow up from post above.
    Trashed 12.04 and took my 11.04 and 11.10 ubuntu install disk and reinstalled onto the Dell Vostro. Still really poor network link to my samba server. Note I have these systems on an Acer Netbook and a Dell desktop with good network speed.

So ... this is interesting. It's clearly not the 12.04 install that's causing the slowdown which leaves only 2 options.
    1- My dell Vostro is causing the problem. Unlikely since web browsing speeds are fine
    2- latest smbfs is broken. I apt-get smbfs and then add the line into fstab. How can I install an older version of smfs?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ashgla View Post
    2- latest smbfs is broken. I apt-get smbfs and then add the line into fstab. How can I install an older version of smfs?
    I don't have an answer to your dilemma but I would like to point out that smbfs is deprecated.

The package "smbfs" is a dummy package that has only one dependency and that is it's replacement: cifs-utils.

You might want to go into fstab and replace "smbfs" with "cifs" and see if it has any affect on speed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    I don't have an answer to your dilemma but I would like to point out that smbfs is deprecated.

The package "smbfs" is a dummy package that has only one dependency and that is it's replacement: cifs-utils.

You might want to go into fstab and replace "smbfs" with "cifs" and see if it has any affect on speed.
    Im not that experienced with fstab, but how does smbfs effect the network explore in nautilus? Should I uninstall smbfs and just have cifs installed?

Beans

I also tried to update my ethernet driver (downgrade to r8168 from r8169 [realtek])

without success... it sucks I will reinstall a 11.04 version asap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast