Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Flashplugin versus Noscript

v41 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Adobe Flashplugin versus Noscript

I make use of the Noscript option to forbid adobe flash on untrusted sites.
    So I was perturbed to find that the flashplugin process,

Code:
    /usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so -greomni /usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja 1234 true plugin
    and a flash cookie,

Code:
    ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/settings.sol
    appear whenever I apply firefox -> tools -> clear recent history. This occurs even when browsing only a single untrusted website. It has only started happening fairly recently.

I'm wondering why clearing the firefox history spawns a flashplugin process, whether it can be prevented, and whether this is a bug?
    macbook-4.1, OS-X.6 + Ubuntu-10.04 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Adobe Flashplugin versus Noscript

Update: Clearing firefox's history spawns the flash plugin process even when I explicitly disable flash in firefox -> tools -> addons -> plugins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by v41 View Post
    Update: Clearing firefox's history spawns the flash plugin process even when I explicitly disable flash in firefox -> tools -> addons -> plugins.
    If you have another browser such as Chromium or some other application that uses Flash, it will write its Flash cookies to the same directory that Firefox does. Then when you go to clear out the Firefox history and cookies it will see the cookie or LSO in that directory no matter which other application caused it to be put there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by OpSecShellshock View Post
    If you have another browser such as Chromium or some other application that uses Flash, it will write its Flash cookies to the same directory that Firefox does. Then when you go to clear out the Firefox history and cookies it will see the cookie or LSO in that directory no matter which other application caused it to be put there.
    The only browser installed is firefox. Even if I purge the flash-cookie directory, ~/.macromedia, and delete the flashplugin process, they are both recreated the instant I clear firefox's history.

Beans

Hi, try to install BetterPrivacy add-on's for Firefox, which offers various ways to handle Flash-cookies set by Google, YouTube, Ebay and others.... I use this add-on for a long time and it seems to works very well. BetterPrivacy offers interesting options e.g delete Flash cookies on application start or on Firefox exit etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
    Hi, try to install BetterPrivacy add-on's for Firefox, which offers various ways to handle Flash-cookies set by Google, YouTube, Ebay and others.... I use this add-on for a long time and it seems to works very well. BetterPrivacy offers interesting options e.g delete Flash cookies on application start or on Firefox exit etc.
    +1 Better Privacy

Also look in to Request Policy as a supplement to No Scripts.

And I've been reading lately about a new privacy threat called "ever cookies" or "super cookie" that write to a lot of places that cookies don't normally write to.

They are supposed to be very hard to block or remove. So far I've only found one tool claiming that it can handle super cookies: Nevercookie.

But, every time I try to install it I get error messages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
    Hi, try to install BetterPrivacy add-on's for Firefox
    Kleenex and computeratin, thank you for suggesting the BetterPrivacy addon. I should have mentioned at the outset that I'm using several privacy-related addons, including BetterPrivacy. They are: AdblockPlus, BetterPrivacy, FoundStone HTML5 Local Storage Explorer, NoScript, RequestPolicy and Sanitisminau.

It would be interesting to know whether this issue is affecting many people, or just me. To see whether you are affected, try the following:

(1) While firefox is running, delete the contents of ~/.macromedia
    (2) Clear firefox's history ( firefox -> tools -> clear recent history)
    (3) Check whether any files or directories have been created in ~/.macromedia. If so, then you are affected.

Beans

Congrats on having a clue about browser sec! (/no sarc)

Welcome to the latest privacy threat:

Evercookies:

http://samy.pl/evercookie/

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...ercookies.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie

http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?...d-evercookies/

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/12/...ing-consumers/

So far I haven't figured out how to keep the bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep things out without breaking 98% of sites on the web.

Beans

computeratin thanks for the info about Nevercookie, evercookie and so on, because it seems to be an interesting plug-ins. I will certainly try it.

Beans

This is the first time in a while that I've had a chance to research this. It looks like enough progress has been made that people have figured out how to flush them at least. So that you can't be tracked across sessions. They still can't be blocked without messing up most web sites. (?)

Removal methods:

1) This one looks a little time consuming, but safe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-WNk...layer_embedded

2) This one is more automated. But I'm at work. I can't check if it's in the repos. And you know all of the warnings about software not in the repos and it may be dangerous.
    http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/

3) I'm not sure what this does. I'm not sure if it's supposed to delete or block? But I found it in a few places. It may be dangerous:
    javasc#ipt:ec.set('uid', 12345); (in your browser bar)

NOTE: I AM NOT AN EXPERT, GURU, PROGRAMMER OR CODER AND I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT YOU INSTALL SOFTWARE FROM OUTSIDE THE REPOS OR PLUG IN CODE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.

THIS INFORMATION IS FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY!!! IF ANYTHING PRESENTED HERE IS ABOVE YOUR SKILL LEVEL THEN USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

IN OTHER WORDS: IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOU BLOW UP YOUR INSTALL!!!

Personally I will test all of this in a virtual machine that I use for nothing other than testing stuff like this.
    Last edited by computeratin; May 16th, 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast