Thread: Moderator & Administrator Abuse of Powers Complaint!!!

Beans

Moderator & Administrator Abuse of Powers Complaint!!!

I am here to report the abuse of thread deletion & movement of valid on topic postings from their respected threads to "new" threads elsewhere in the forum by moderator "lisati" and administrator "overdrank"...

I was trying to follow the "how to guide" located here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing

When I came to a point of confusion & seeked some clarification; at the bottom of this "how to guide" is a link to this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=503287

Where I posted a concern/question as follows:
    -START POSTING-
    "So I have installed ver 12.x on my machine I actually like the interface except for the complicated command line gibberish found in this "guide": https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing

For the most part I figured out how to edit files using the terminal, which for a newbie it would have been nice if in the "guide" it mentioned editing files this way...

So I get to the point of "ubuntu Internet Gateway Method (iptables)" gateway setup & well basically the example code makes no sense and doesnt work at all & now im getting crash reports that I dont know what have to do with what anymore now....

Here is my setup & im sure for many others its a common setup that seems to be complicated by a simple "disabled" settings area in the GUI portion of "network settings" panel...

After trying to follow the above links "guide" it seems to me that IF when the "share connection" is selected in the ipv4 tab of the network card to bey shared that IF there in the GUI I could simply input my IP, sub-net, & gateway info there none of this other confusing command line giberish would be needed... But its all shaded out & not accessible...

I have 2 NICs one wifi which works fine & is my internet connection to my ISP router the other is the onboard wired NIC to feed a second router...

All I need for is the wired/onboard nic (eth0) to be "shared" & to have the following settings: IP 192.168.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 92.168.10.x

Its my understanding from the "guide" this has to be set/done from a terminal command line, but the guides references dont work or set the "eth0" to anything..."
    -END POSTING-

Shortly after Moderator "lisati" took it upon themselves and the abuse of their power to what seems not even read my posting and moved it to some "new" thread in a completely unrelated section of the site/forum...

I reposted my concern to the related thread and was then contacted by Administrator "overdrank" that i was supposedly "thread jacking" and that it would not be tolerated; again failure on the admins part in NOT READING POSTINGS PRIOR TO THEIR MOVEMENT/DELETION...

I was then told to post my feelings and position here on this matter; I seek these Moderators/Admins be reminded of the role they play & that by committing such acts as these upon users whom have valid questions/concerns and that are posting in the venue that the public how to guide references to; that they are inevitably the down fall of the purpose of such forums as these there by defeating the purpose of gather information or results for that matter under the same umbrella...

I wish in the future these moderators/admins to be more considerate and take the extra time to determine when a posting is not properly placed... In this case and im sure as in many others their moving of posts by new users to unventured areas of the forum by avid users or for that matter "on topic" postings are being overlooked or not answered at all and written off as "newbie" questions... This is not a mindset to "help support" people of the community but is actually a discouraging factor making many new what could be great future programs go else where...

Respectfully,
    SlickClick

Beans

Re: Moderator & Administrator Abuse of Powers Complaint!!!

And to further abuse the Moderator/Admin powers they have now "closed" and/or "Locked" the Thread mentioned above so that No others in the future can elaborate on this topic as the "how to" guide suggests...

I plead to the Higher up to stop this madness of abuse... This is clearly a Spiteful tactic by these Moderators/Admins mentioned..!

People like this are no good for communities that wish to share, grow, learn, and help others...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beans

"Overdranks" states in the closing of this thread:

"If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful."

This method only creates redundant and multiple threads leading to more miss management... The Idea of having a "how-to guide" with a "thread" directly associated with it is by far the best and most logical way to keep them all in sync or on topic with eachother... The closing of such thread that is referred to in a how to guide should be either revamped or replaced with a NEW associated/link thread from/for the "how to guide"

My 2 cents...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

First. Thank you for finding a moribund section of the forum which is not accessible from the main forums page, and which should not have been open for posting at this time. I have now corrected that omission. The fact that it is linked from a community documentation page implies only that the link provides information. It does not necessarily mean that it is the correct place to post requests for help.

Your first post to a thread in that section was correctly moved by a staff member. This was not an abuse of power, but was done to help you, because otherwise your post would very likely not have been seen by anyone browsing the forums from the main page. It was also done in accordance with the forum Code of Conduct which you agreed to when you created your forum account. I refer you to this:

You agree that forum staff have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time they see fit following the guidelines outlined below.
    You then posted a response to the moderator's move note which was not appropriate and your response was jailed - correctly. You also sent a pm to the admin who jailed your response. The tone of this pm, and your subsequent one were hostile. I suggest that you also take note of this part of the Code of Conduct:

Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers.
    Your posts in this Resolution Center thread are just as hostile and I urge you to reconsider your posting style and to re-read the whole of the forum Code of Conduct.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

If to challange you or any admins/moderation tactics for that matter are govern by a "judge, jury, & executioner" style rules then what is the point of pretending this section holds any sort of logical diplomacy..?

Im from America & forgive me if I believe innocent before being guilty & that freedom of speach hold great weight... None the less I have been civil in coming to a just solution in this matter...

However fact has it that
    A: When a public google search for ICS Network for Ubuntu is googled it come to a publicly view document which is accessible to the WORLD not just the small class of users registerd to this forum.

B: now that the supporting forum is now "closed" you & your elite group of "executioners" have basically killed the correct venue for users to post in.

C: moving postings to a "newbie" section is a segregation matter is flat out wrong.

D: the proper forum which is now closed had 88 replies & several tens of thousands of view to say or even insinuate that a posting would recieve more attention in a new topic is obserd & totally illogical.

F: as software is a developing lifecycle in its own right w/ the laumch of 12.x OS the original "how to guide" still hold weight as useful & could use some updating.

G: updating; was the purpose of the connected and/or attached thread/forum in that "htg" which is now locked & regaurded as useless & considered not the right venue.

These acts were not decided as a community but solely by you 3 individuals, if beimg stern & well formed of rights of freedom of expression & to post in forms mind you in the correct venue are treated in this manner as "hostile" maybe you too need to revamp your mindset of "community" opposed to "dictatorship" type governing of users posting, it is my best guess that my posting was moved from the correct on topic thread to a "beginners" section solely based on my recent membership as a newbie; in which I find myself being segragated & now even treated as undervalued & woth no right according to the forum rules which might I remind you I did not breal by originally posting in an old but correct forum/venue... now as a take the proper channels to bring light to a serious misappropriation of power & by defending my position in that my posting is/was where it belongs & by simplu stating that "when my posting in the new location doesnt fetch any replies due to it being so distant & out of context of where it properly was that, that moderator who moved it shpuld be responsible for now supporting my posting/question/concern directly" as a hostile or for that matyer defending the right to free speach in a diplomatic way is hostile then someone really seripusly needa to step in & reteach you all how to properly moderate; again my posting was moved from the correct venue to a jail & newbie topic thread with no exsposure & no where near topic if you too are in aggreance woth these illogical actions you too are solely passing judgement upon a user as being a simpleton newbie and if this is the tye of people governing these forums I refuse to take part in such treatment of users as second class for simply not knowing or trying to learn new things even when civially posting in the correct venue to be treated like this publicly is an outrage & this should be a calling sign for a change or in better terms a revolution of logical guides, forums, & the associated users inputs and not this hierarchies additude of admins & moderators who simply "pass judgement" opposed to allowing for things to take its natural coruse.

In this matter the course has been severed between the "how to guide" & the designated support forum/posting topic; whoch not only robs me of proper gainful information inputs by others but also kills any possible chance of collaboration with others on the same exact topic or toss around ideas as one I mention "if the IP setting area is available to edit while in share mode" will never see the light of day as will many other source code or directions will now go unknown or unelaborated on due to closing auch linked threads from how to guides...

Forgive me God for standing up for the little guy who knows nothing more than the will to learn & live &venture into a world of "executioners" like this...

Even if I am alone in this argument im sure others have felt segragated & scrutinized for posting just the same as I have & their topics, qestiona, & concerns were written off...

On a more direct moderation note:
    WHY WAS MY POSTING EVEN MOVED TO A NEWBIE SECTION OF THE SITE/FORUM WHEN IT CLEARLY ADDRESSES A "NETWORKING" ISSUE WHICH HAS A FORUM CHANNEL JUST FOR THAT, "NETWORKING"..?

its obvious why, newbies on forums -not only this forum- are treated as second class unknowing people who should "make more use of the search button" & to seemingly stay out of the way of more proficient users... Again discrimitive segeragation; but if it is the intent of the power of administration/moderators to boldly, publicly segergate users based on posting counts & sticking up for themselves well so be it I will be yelling from here in "jail" until I meet the panel of judges or council that feel you 3 people are right in your actions, which I still feel you are not & actually are deteriorating a good forum structure and maybe the idea or structure of having "how to guides" with direct forum thread topics associated with them as support channels is a great idea..! Again an idea from "jail"...

Beans

Also in my defense I present the facts for all to see & that I did NOT pm anyone & that I was contacted first by "drunkadmin" as follows:

It is Saturday morning and no need to be rude. If you have issues with staff action please post in the Resolution Center. We the staff did not in anyway imply you were stupid. I support the moderators action since I am a Administrator. Have a good day. Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickClick Just because I am new to a old low level language doesnt mean im stupid or that I dont know what or how a forum works... If anything you are using your moderator powers to thwart where my posting actually belongs... if you continue to move my posting I will have no choice but to report you Higher up as moderator whom uses theirs powers as to abuse users to do as you please...

My posting is right on topic for the thread where it is posted & the people with the most concern would be in that group as the Web guide reffers to that exact thread for comments & support BUT you being a wanna be hotshot moderator thinks the are right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by overdrank Please review the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct Quote:

The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness, gentleness and respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.

And Quote:

Respect the Forum Staff: We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We are all volunteers. Feedback is welcome in Forum Feedback & Help and this is also the place to request assistance with forum software issues. If you believe an error has been made in moderation or other staff actions, please post politely in the Resolution Center and help us understand your perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickClick Quote:

Originally Posted by overdrank Here. The staff are trying to help you get support. If you posted in someone else thread it is less likely to receive the support. It is also called hijacking another users thread. Also pleas do not keep posting the same issue on the forums, it is polite to bump your thread once a day (24hr). Thanks

How about if you READ my posting you would SEE that I refer to this Ubuntu "how to guide" https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing Which at the bottom of the guide it refers to that exact/particular thread..! No highjacking of anything here except for you highjacking my valid questions/concerns from the CORRECT THREAD!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SlickClick View Post
    A: When a public google search for ICS Network for Ubuntu is googled it come to a publicly view document which is accessible to the WORLD not just the small class of users registerd to this forum.
    B: now that the supporting forum is now "closed" you & your elite group of "executioners" have basically killed the correct venue for users to post in.
    What makes you think that was the correct venue for support? That subforum was for team members (team is inactive, so the forum was closed) to discuss ICS threads - NOT to support ICS directly.

C: moving postings to a "newbie" section is a segregation matter is flat out wrong.
    If it's the Beginner stigma that has you bent out of shape, the thread could as easily be moved to General Discussion - but it does NOT belong in Unanswered Posts Team subforum.

D: the proper forum which is now closed had 88 replies & several tens of thousands of view to say or even insinuate that a posting would recieve more attention in a new topic is obserd & totally illogical.
    The proper support forum(s) is/are still open for threads.
    These acts were not decided as a community but solely by you 3 individuals...
    Quite far from reality. No attempt has been made to segregate or denegrate you or other new users - quite the opposite. That subforum is designed to provide gentle support.

Also in my defense I present the facts for all to see & that I did NOT pm anyone & that I was contacted first by "drunkadmin" as follows:
    If you intend to be offensive by namecalling, your visit here will be quite short.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    What makes you think that was the correct venue for support? That subforum was for team members (team is inactive, so the forum was closed) to discuss ICS threads - NOT to support ICS directly.
    Its the correct suport forum directly associated with the how to document, period. If the "team" was disban or not active anymore what have you mods & admins been doing..? Obviously not keeping things tight nit & organized if you claim was true these areas would have long been revamped...

If it's the Beginner stigma that has you bent out of shape, the thread could as easily be moved to General Discussion - but it does NOT belong in Unanswered Posts Team subforum.
    If that is where the OP linked there how to & from it is obviously in the right place regaurdless if if the "team" is active or not again the forum is being miss managed... Being new is the facade you feel comfortable with calling me ok but common sense logic would tell ypu or anyone for that matter I have a "NETWORKING" issue & not a beginner or general discussion posting/topic again miss management of moderator powers...

The proper support forum(s) is/are still open for threads.
    True they are but none the less the moderators shut down an outlet from a pretty decent how to document & havent replaced it with a new outlet, which logically creates redundand postings by new user for instance a person goes to the how & now there is now allocated venue for the to raise concerns or questions only creating more work load for you moderators by drivimg new users to post new topics which then long time members get pissy about when the same topic is post else where but cant be found for instance this thread which is part of some old team that is no longer active but no moderators cleaned up the mess..? Ahhh its simple tell the new guy hes wrong & point the finger at him when truth be told it seems WIth 40 so moderators cant get the site in order something is seriously wrong there then...

Quite far from reality. No attempt has been made to segregate or denegrate you or other new users - quite the opposite. That subforum is designed to provide gentle support.
    No doubt the beginners forum provides plenty of content & resource reference for even the skill programmer to reffer to; but to simply move therds/postings there based on users time/posting amounts on a forum to a section not even relevant in this case networking should have been the proper venue for my topoc to be in again this IS a form of segergation if moderators are moving threads based on this opposed to the actual content of the posting, its either laziness or discrimination you decide it amongsts yourselves in your next moderator meetings; whidj im betting this site doesnt even have them to keep thier moderators and admins in check, none the less the post was taken from its dedicated venue by the OP of the how to and tossed aside as a newboe item & not as a valid networking question.

If you intend to be offensive by namecalling, your visit here will be quite short.
    Honestly your petty points warnings are meaningless to me, as I never engaged in private message anyone YOUR staff did & to tell me I was thred jacking or else seems like a bully tactic to me which as you can see will NOT stop me from bringing to light these issues of disorganization & segregating users based on profile opposed to the actual content of the posting.

Now that I have rebutted all your claims with valid points of view; why is it you did NOT answer the question I posed on the matter..?
    Is it because itmakes sense & is obvious your team of moderators simply moved it to a beginners section due to my profile & not to the "networking" sub-section of the forum where it really belongs and hence why I understand your circumventing answering that question because anyone reading might just agree that sure this guy is new asking the question but it is straight up valid on topic to where it was & is no far burried in a beginners forum with no geedback or replies because its a posting that 1: belonged where it was & 2: is a networkinh issue and not a "beginner" issue...

Say what you like I see it all the time on forums & even on forums where I have moderated in the past newbies get the butt of the stick in the face as is what happening here....

Funny thing is the only thing ive done wrong is call a self proclaimed drunk a drunl admin which if in a court of law would never hold up as slander because the users ne clearly states they are drunk