Thread: Montior Folder Shell/Bash Script

Beans

Question Montior Folder Shell/Bash Script

Hello there everyone,
    I've used linux since Ubuntu 9.04 and just recently started to try to learn how to use shell/bash scripting, using core utilities that ALL linux systems can use, such as unrar, tar, and others...
    Well, I made a script for myself not too long ago to manage archives, videos, and other files that used to take me a long time to deal with -- With my script (which I am still tweaking every now and again) it has made things easier, but I finally ran into an issue that is a little too big for me to swallow...

I am trying to create a script, that will monitor a folder and move any new folders and/or files of various sorts to another location.

FOR EXAMPLE:

monitor folder /home/user/downloads/NEW\ Downloads/
    Move new files to /home/user/downloads/Completed-Downloads

I heard that inotify could do the trick, but using man inotify only confused me even more and while looking at scripts from other people, nobody really explains how it works... Scripts that I create, are supposed to be able to work on all platforms without having to install anything - if you install a linux version from a live cd, you should be able to run any script that I create right from the beginning...

The problem I'm having is that (for convenience) people tell me to use one program or another, while I try to create scripts that run from a terminal (verbosely at times) so I can learn what it is I am doing...

The script I am trying to create can be executed by a program on Download Completion, so I figured that might make things a little easier, because the script would check/monitor folder and then move any new folders and/or files to a different location and also notify me when the files have be moved.

Is this even possible using strictly shell/bash or is it just really complicated and difficult..?

Beans

Re: Montior Folder Shell/Bash Script

you might want look into in incron if u need to monitor your files changes
    So She Said Internet, And I Said Inter-Not

Beans

-__-

That is exactly what I meant. I am trying to create a script that will monitor the folder using components of Linux that are standard, and not something that I have to additionally install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by rhss6-2011 View Post
    -__-

That is exactly what I meant. I am trying to create a script that will monitor the folder using components of Linux that are standard, and not something that I have to additionally install.

On linux, there's no such thing as stuff you don't add. install.
    Heck, a default ubuntu install just unpacks the packages from the cd's offline repo.
    (ever did an ubuntu server install / textmode install / used debootstrap? cause they, unlike the gui one, DO show you what packages they're installing)
    And there's no way to know if a dl finished w/o some program tying into events of other progs that says if they're done.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper