Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 not in GRUB, resists Customizer, Boot Repair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows 7 not in GRUB, resists Customizer, Boot Repair

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    so which ubuntu is first on the grub menu?
    12.04 (3.2.0-24)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sunships View Post
    12.04 (3.2.0-24)
    Have you used the arrow keys to navigate as far down the list you can?

Have you installed the grub customizer or the startup manager?

Beans
    Distro

Have you used the arrow keys to navigate as far down the list you can?

Have you installed the grub customizer or the startup manager?
    Yes, I tried GRUB customizer a while ago in the hopes it would let me add in an entry for Windows. It didn't, but I used it to tidy up the GRUB menu I had then anyway, so it would only show the two options for 12.04 and 10.04, and none of the other options - which is the same as what I see now, with no other options...has use of GRUB Customizer prevented proper restoration of GRUB in this instance?
    Last edited by Sunships; May 12th, 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I tried GRUB customizer a while ago in the hopes it would let me add in an entry for Windows. It didn't, but I used it to tidy up the GRUB menu I had then anyway, so it would only show the two options for 12.04 and 10.04, and none of the other options - which is the same as what I see now, with no other options...has used of GRUB Customizer prevented proper restoration of GRUB in this instance?
    I ran into a user a couple of days ago where this had been a problem so lets do a grub purge and reinstall in the 12.04 desktop environment, not the cd but the running OS.

Run these commands.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-pc grub-common
    Then to reinstall

Code:
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub-common
    You will be asked after this second command where to put grub choose sda only and use the space key to mark it then when the process is done run.

just to be safe

Code:
    sudo update-grub

Beans
    Distro

I ran into a user a couple of days ago where this had been a problem so lets do a grub purge and reinstall in the 12.04 desktop environment, not the cd but the running OS.

Run these commands.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-pc grub-common
    Then to reinstall

Code:
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub-common
    You will be asked after this second command where to put grub choose sda only and use the space key to mark it then when the process is done run.

just to be safe

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    HOORAY, it worked! On boot I now get a GRUB menu with options for 12.04, Windows and 10.04, with 12.04 as default - just what I needed!

Thanks wilee and darkod for helping out on a Saturday, no less - I am playing this song in your honour now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU

Beans
    Distro

HOORAY, it worked! On boot I now get a GRUB menu with options for 12.04, Windows and 10.04, with 12.04 as default - just what I needed!

Thanks wilee and darkod for helping out on a Saturday, no less - I am playing this song in your honour now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJlIGDImiU

Cool, I learned a lot of what I know by watching darkod and a few others on the forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Yeah, the grub had some strange /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file which might be from grub customizer or another tool you tried. I think it was not working properly because of this.

Purging everything and installing again grub2 made it work with default options.

This is why I always prefer the ubuntu cd before any other tools. It has everything you need and other tools sometimes work "in their own way".

As you probably already figured out, no, now you don't need to create that small partition. The win7 boot files were added to the partition where the OS it, nothing bad about that.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Yeah, the grub had some strange /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf file which might be from grub customizer or another tool you tried. I think it was not working properly because of this.

Purging everything and installing again grub2 made it work with default options.

This is why I always prefer the ubuntu cd before any other tools. It has everything you need and other tools sometimes work "in their own way".

As you probably already figured out, no, now you don't need to create that small partition. The win7 boot files were added to the partition where the OS it, nothing bad about that.
    Thanls darkod. I have bookmarked this thread so I may draw on its pure win in the future

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12