Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MySQL client application?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation MySQL client application?

Hey guys, I am looking for a user friendly MySQL Admin tool that has an simple/clean UI. There used to be one in the Ubuntu Software Centre when I was using 11.10 (wish I remembered the name) but nothing is returned when I search now with a clean install of 12.04....Is there something like Navicat or even an official MySQL client version for linux that I can install to administer my remote databses with an easy to use interface?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: MySQL client application?

Something like phpMyAdmin http://www.phpmyadmin.net

You could have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...hpmyadmin.html and you can install with apt-get
    Last edited by Gone fishing; May 12th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know of PMA but I am looking for a client application that I had to install...Not a web one like PMA which would require me to setup a web server locally and other things.

What is everyone else using to connect to their MySQL servers?

Beans

I've used SQuirrel to connect to a MSSQL box, it supports pretty much any backend though - I only really tried it to see if I could (didn't use it in anger) but it appears to be quite full featured - SQL syntax highlighting etc.

Beans

I prefer PostgreSQL, but for both it and MySQL I just use the native command-line clients (psql and mysql) and enter the SQL commands I need. PostgreSQL has a few nice command-line utilities like "createuser" and "createdb" for those specific admin tasks. One reason I avoid MySQL is its annoying techniques for creating users and databases.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 12th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Have a look at http://www.mittalpatel.co.in/access_...ing_phpmyadmin phpmyadmin can administer a remote server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What about MySQL Workbench?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all the tips guys but I finally found a comparably replacement in the Ubuntu Software Centre. It's called Emma, and I think it is an official release for managing a MySQL DB through a UI in linux.

The UI is OK and better than command line, but not as good as whatever I was using under 11.10...Anyway, it does the trick so search for it if you need something similar

Beans
    Distro

Maybe it was mysql-admin that you were using? This was part of the mysql GUI tools that has reached end of life. There is however a replacement available in the universe repos in precise: mysql-workbench which seems pretty complete.

Beans

You can use Valentina Studio http://www.valentina-db.com/en/valen...tudio-overview, 14 Feb 2013 in the 5.0 version added support of mySQL/mariaDB, as well as, SQLite, PostgreSQL. It is FREE. Works on Mac, Win and Linux. Includes not only db management but powerfull reports that work again on 3 OS. I am very pleased with this program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast