Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux has failed on the Desktop (opinion)

Beans

Why Linux has failed on the Desktop (opinion)

When Torvalds was asked why Linux has failed on the desktop, he underlined the lack of driver support as the main issue. From my standpoint as a user, I vehemently disagree.

We all believe Linux is the best operating system. So then who is to blame for it's failure on the desktop? I'll cut to the chase...It's that every distribution sucks. Its non intuitive. You should be able to do the basic things just as easily in Linux as in Windows.

Now that Redhat has more money, I hope they come back to the desktop and do it the right way.
    Last edited by Ashtray2; May 11th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why Linux has failed on the Desktop (opinion)

Games and Windows Proprietary Software.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

In what way does the desktop edition suck? It's totally fine. Why is it easier to do things on windows than on Linux? ...That every distribution sucks? I know this is an opinion, but this simply does not make any sense.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Thank you for your well-crafted, thought-out, detailed analysis. I'm sure it will be of great value for future development.

Obviously, the reason Linux has utterly failed on the desktop is that we haven't had enough people sharing well-reasoned, straight-to-the-point opinions like this one.

Keep it up, we'll get there yet!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Games and Windows Proprietary Software.
    It's become a part of the Linux philosophy to outsource blame for the failure of a superior OS.

Those two things you mentioned aren't something that can be fixed without widespread adoption in the first place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    In what way does the desktop edition suck? It's totally fine. Why is it easier to do things on windows than on Linux? ...That every distribution sucks? I know this is an opinion, but this simply does not make any sense.
    Why can't I right click and create a shortcut on my desktop? Does MS own a patent for this or something? Seriously.

Also, I need a taskbar of some sort for christ sake so I can easily manage the windows I have open. Unity and Gnome are awful at this. Its not about everything looking like windows, but I need my GUI functional. Thank god for cario dock.
    Last edited by Ashtray2; May 11th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Beans

I don't have a problem with most of the desktops, and with a little coaching, I think most people can readily adapt to different desktops, and they are more accustomed to using different interfaces on smart phones, game consoles, television menus, and the like.

It's drivers. Linux has come such a long way in most every respect, but drivers. I currently have a thread here because kubuntu 12.04 won't automatically use the on-board graphics processor in AMD CPU. I'm expecting a fairly easy fix, but in the meantime, a lot of it is not quite the 'plug & play' so many users, for whom this is not vocation or avocation, require.

I could give my 73 year old mom the Linux box once it's up and running...I know she'd get used to the interface -- but it's the getting the box up and running for her, as an example.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtray2 View Post
    Why can't I right click and create a shortcut on my desktop? Does MS own a patent for this or something? Seriously.

Also, I need a taskbar of some sort for christ sake so I can easily manage the windows I have open. Unity and Gnome are awful at this. Its not about everything looking like windows, but I need my GUI functional. Thank god for cario dock.
    Can't you drag icons from the dash and drop them on the desktop? It works fine on my system.

Beans

Linux excels on my desktop.

I'd suggest a better thread title:

Why has Linux failed to penetrate brain-dead corporate IT frameworks and their lemming-esque fiscal policies?
    Last edited by NadirPoint; May 11th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nadirpoint View Post
    linux excels on my desktop.

I'd suggest a better thread title:

why has linux failed to penetrate brain-dead corporate it frameworks and their lemming-esque fiscal policies?
    ^+1
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast