Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help "disk failure imminent"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: help "disk failure imminent"

You can, but just be prepared to do it all at once. Turning on the disk with a failure could possibly result in more damage, so try to limit the number of power ups until you are able to pull you data off of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi for diagnostics of the Hard drive using the Live Desktop.

Open 'Disk Utility' select your HD in the left pane, then look at the top right corner for the disk (SMART)status. Below that is a box to check the SMART DATA of the drive and the opportunity to run some tests. One of the main things to look for in the Data is 'REALLOCATED SECTOR COUNT'. As a guide 0 - 20 sectors reallocated is not much to worry about yet. Anything over 50 sectors you should be thinking about getting another drive soon.

A paperweight I have next to me is a 160GB hard drive with over 2000 reallocated sectors. In fact there are no spare sectors to use.

Get another HD external is okay. Using a LiveCD you can copy the old to the new privided the new drive is the same or bigger size than the old one.
    After that disconnect the old one and you can use the new one as it will have the same UUIDs as the old.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

so can anyone help me on where to find a 500 GB HD for around 50 i found a external im about to go buy and figured i could just order the internal since in store is more than i have to really spend
    Thos who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom08 View Post
    so can anyone help me on where to find a 500 GB HD for around 50 i found a external im about to go buy and figured i could just order the internal since in store is more than i have to really spend
    Maybe Newegg, TigerDirect, MicroCenter, Staples. Maybe you can find a good hard disk drive there. I think Newegg currently has a sale.
    Question Everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12